How to go about painting a Bio?

Grums

Hey,

Just bought my 1st Bio, should be here in a few days. Going to attempt painting it, but need some advice as how to go about it.

I like the worn look it has at the minute. Just want to clean it up a little to display it on the wall. Im looking paint it a bronze style colour, a similar style colour to the Pred 2 bio. Also, does anyone know were you could buy a laser sight for it, or a wire mesh for the eyes?

What type of paint is best to use, and what is the best way to paint. Small brushes, or airspray?

Also, can anyone recommend some good tutorials on how to paint it.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lasers are on the bay all the time.BTW nice score saw this mself last night, I used spray paint in layers I dont know if that style can be used for one already painted though.

Lasers are on the bay all the time.BTW nice score saw this mself last night, I used spray paint in layers I dont know if that style can be used for one already painted though.

Thanks, tried checking on ebay but cant seem to find any. Maybe im not searching the correct terms.

Ive started thinking about how to paint it, I'd thought about adding a base colour as a 1st layer, but decided that I like to try and keep some of the worn cooper look it has at the minute. Not sure how to go about giving it a cleaner bronze look yet keeping some of the look it has at the minute.

This Pred 2 bio is how id like to try and get the paint colour to look. Just a cleaner bronze look that it has now. Any advice on how to try an achieve this would be great.

blog_nf_p2bio_02.jpg

If that was mine, I'd just add a layer of clearcoat to get the shine... maybe clean up some of the "rust" before that.

Hey Ge'tal,

What is clearcoat? Sorry, new to this so havent got much of a clue about it. Also, how would you go about cleaning up some of the "rust" before that?

Thanks.

Hey Ge'tal,

What is clearcoat? Sorry, new to this so havent got much of a clue about it. Also, how would you go about cleaning up some of the "rust" before that?

Thanks.

You can find clear coat anywhere.
Its where the spraypaint is at

If you cant find clear coat, just look for clear paint or something similar

If that was mine, I'd just add a layer of clearcoat to get the shine... maybe clean up some of the "rust" before that.
I agree...you could ruin that bio very easily if you try to repaint it. That looks really good as is. For clearcoat, go to the spraypaint section in walmart, and look for the cans with a clear cap on them. Get a gloss or satin one, not flat.

I agree...you could ruin that bio very easily if you try to repaint it. That looks really good as is. For clearcoat, go to the spraypaint section in walmart, and look for the cans with a clear cap on them. Get a gloss or satin one, not flat.

Hey,

Thanks for the tips. Im from Ireland, so theres no Walmarts here. But Budget might sell them, I'll get a look there. Also, do you need to spray the clearcoat on or can you apply it with a brush? Thanks.

Also, im looking to get some kind of black mesh around the eyes like the Predator 2 bio. Any sites you could buy that off?

Oh, well just look anywhere that sells spray paint. DIY stores typically do it. I've never seen it as a brush on, but it wouldn't be a great idea anyway. Too much chance of leaving brush marks in it. No idea about the mesh, but try some modelling places, either small stores or websites.

Just an FYI, clear coat will totally deaden the color of those patinas. I strongly recommend against it...plus, aesthetically, why would a rusted helmet be shiney? .. (even the matte clear coat will darken the colors) looks like you got yourself a very nice original piece...if were up to me, I'd keep it as is. If you want to hit it with anything, try dulling spray ...look it up on google...will give the finish it would need to stay in that "worn look" type of bio

You're right George, I didn't even think of that, although that assumes that it is a patina, and not paint. It would be a heck of a paintjob, but it's possible.

So new advice...find out whether that is all paint, or partly metal paint and patina. Of course, you may get it in hand and think "this is awesome, I'm not touching this".

You're right George, I didn't even think of that, although that assumes that it is a patina, and not paint. It would be a heck of a paintjob, but it's possible.

So new advice...find out whether that is all paint, or partly metal paint and patina. Of course, you may get it in hand and think "this is awesome, I'm not touching this".

Hey,

Yeah its not paint, I dont think so anyway. When I bought it, it said this on the description. "It's made out of fibre glass which is impregnated with copper filler powder. This was then left outside to corrode giving it a lovely weathered green corroded copper look."

Hah, yeah. Whenever it actually arrives, I may end up not even touching it. Just leave it as it is, but add a laser and a mesh for the eyes.

Heres more pics,

Just an FYI, clear coat will totally deaden the color of those patinas. I strongly recommend against it...plus, aesthetically, why would a rusted helmet be shiney? .. (even the matte clear coat will darken the colors) looks like you got yourself a very nice original piece...if were up to me, I'd keep it as is. If you want to hit it with anything, try dulling spray ...look it up on google...will give the finish it would need to stay in that "worn look" type of bio

Hey, thanks for the advice. I will stay away from the clear coat. Yeah, I really like the worn look it has as well, I tried looking up Dulling spray and seen places to buy it but couldnt see any examples of how it works? Would it make much of a difference to the look of the bio.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
dulling spray will just take any sheen down on parts of the helmet. It also adds another layer to help protect or stop any natural rusting occurring in metal based paints. When I use it on a weathered helmets, I only give it a light dusting on three or four spots on the helmet...not a full, overall coat ...adds to the aged aesthetic of the design

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back