how to do another jacket when the first one has been wrecked?

afedorniak

hi all,okay problem the jacket thats goes over the silicone when you have finished sculpting has crumbled away,and i am left with a silicone mask all floppy and no shell to support it with.
solution if any,ask the hunters lair!!!!?
so there s my problem,does anyone have any ideas to getting back this shell,ive tried filling the mask with sand,allginate,foam,but it leaves it over inflated,i find it hard to get back the proper form!the only solution i can come up with is to resculpt or try to fix the alginate peices,its like a jigsaw at the mo.
so i wonder what you guys might come up with!!many thanks for your thoughts..predwolf (tony) :)

Is this for a resin? Do you still have it? You could just put the silicone back on the cast piece and create a new mother mold since the piece will keep the silicone's shape...

Is this for a resin? Do you still have it? You could just put the silicone back on the cast piece and create a new mother mold since the piece will keep the silicone's shape...
This.

If you haven't got a master-cast, and it isn't a block-cast, you can try to patch the jacket as good as you can, make a snap-cast of the inside and repeat for the other half, then use that to build a new jacket.

a cast you snapped on the original shape, usually a little less detailed but it gives the definition of a shape just as well. Plaster bandage would do I guess. Do you have any pictures to show us your problem?

You can also use a resin next time for the outer layer, then add ultracal on the resin to support it as you did before. This might prevent your chipping and crumbling.

in the process of re-putting together the original plaster jacket,underneath the silicone mask,and while doing this put a layer of plaster on the inside of the mask hopefully to get the shape back.if all fails will probably re- sculpt !thats how it goes i guess,all a learning curve for me!.

right guys here r some pics ive done an experiment on the mask with latex to see how it goes !meanwhile ive started another sculpt.ive spoke to a tutor at the uni i went to for my lifecast and he said to get it to him he might be able to do something with it!!?well see.

mould_pics_001.JPG

mould_pics_002.JPG

mould_pics_003.JPG

mould_pics_004.JPG

mould_pics_005.JPG

mould_pics_006.JPG

mould_pics_007.JPG

no never got to pour one ,which pissed me off a bit lol!! so i tried numerous ways to do another jacket,only thing is that everytime i filled the mask it came out deformed,i coulnt get the actual shape back again.so any suggestions i will try!!many thanks.

oh man i know your pain i sculpted somthing that took me off and on a year to complete and i had the same thing happen,the ultracal 30 adheared to the silicone and i had to break the mother mold so i could try and keep the silicone detail layer intact,i thought nothing adheared to silicone except silicone,but you had a good idea by putting it in that wooden box,possibly try to prop somthing under it to support the weight and maybe try and cast it in somthing lighter maybe a polyfoam? goodluck,hope it gets resolved cuz im in the same boat

thanks for that support mate,ive tried expanding foam but it developed in to a predator having too many mc donalds lol!!!ive tried sand,foam ,alginate you name it,without success,my last attempt now is the latex,suspended in the box ,if it fails so be it as you can see in the pics ive started a new sculpt,its good to experiment,you tend to learn a ton of things!!!

whats the goal with the latex? Im afraid that the latex wont give much resistance to hold up another mother mold. OK ..so here are my questions to better understand what you are trying to accomplish. First ..what was your original intent? Are you trying to get resin pulls from your mold? ..in other words, your choice of silicone as your mold material. Second question was about your mother mold ..what exactly did you make it from and how many pieces was it originally? Im also curious about your Key placement and choices for alignment. A few things I have noticed already that can be trouble spots on your next mold. Your choice to keep in the lower mandibles ..major undercuts with those ..and they can lead to problems in casting. Your seam line and separation point. Interesting choice, but Im thinking that you might best be served with the separation line running around the back at the top row of dread holes ..then equally down each side of the neck. Hope this makes sense ..I want to be of more help ..but I think I just need a little more info from ya

whats the goal with the latex? Im afraid that the latex wont give much resistance to hold up another mother mold. OK ..so here are my questions to better understand what you are trying to accomplish. First ..what was your original intent? Are you trying to get resin pulls from your mold? ..in other words, your choice of silicone as your mold material. Second question was about your mother mold ..what exactly did you make it from and how many pieces was it originally? Im also curious about your Key placement and choices for alignment. A few things I have noticed already that can be trouble spots on your next mold. Your choice to keep in the lower mandibles ..major undercuts with those ..and they can lead to problems in casting. Your seam line and separation point. Interesting choice, but Im thinking that you might best be served with the separation line running around the back at the top row of dread holes ..then equally down each side of the neck. Hope this makes sense ..I want to be of more help ..but I think I just need a little more info from ya
hi george,goal with latex unknown!experiment! to answer your questions my original intent was to sculpt ,cast and create a pred mask.i made the sculpt with WED clay and it was in two peices front and back.hoping to get a resin pull as well.i used a fine casting plaster,which now i know wasnt strong enough.plus could have done with a tad more silicone.the back as it was a smaller peice came out just fine,about the keys do u think i put them in the wrong place?!as for the seam i went round the back as i saw a vid of a guy doing the same thing.as this as gone pear shape now its been a learning curve ,if i cant save it no worries ,as ive started another sculpt,which hopfully will be better.thanks for your interest george.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back