How much would the Death Star cost to build?

All that money and it only costs one X-wing to destroy it...

images

Yeah, I wonder if they took into account the shoddy construction that left it with a freaking hole in it big enough to be exploited by a couple of teenagers.

And the worst part- when the first one was destroyed after being operational... what? A week? They figured let's just build another one! This one's bigger, more powerful and has an even bigger hole in it!

What I would do if I wanted to build a death star would be to put together some kind of, say, evil empire, using slave labour, that would steal and bully resources from ENTIRE GALAXIES, and would generally operate on a war economy. I'm betting that all might bring the price down some. Still, go ahead build your death star however you please...

What I would do if I wanted to build a death star would be to put together some kind of, say, evil empire, using slave labour, that would steal and bully resources from ENTIRE GALAXIES, and would generally operate on a war economy. I'm betting that all might bring the price down some. Still, go ahead build your death star however you please...

A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main?

And the worst part- when the first one was destroyed after being operational... what? A week? They figured let's just build another one! This one's bigger, more powerful and has an even bigger hole in it!

What's that quote from 'Contact' re: government spending?

"Why build one when you can build two for twice the price?"

when the first one was destroyed after being operational... what? A week? They figured let's just build another one! This one's bigger, more powerful and has an even bigger hole in it!

What kills me is that it took them 18 years to make the first one, but only 3 or 4 years to make that bigger one and have it up and running (albeit about 2/3rds construction done).

The Emperor must have been really pissed about the first one. :lol

PS... am I the only one who finds that dollar figure ridiculous? As in how do you attribute an actual price on a fictional object in which you have no idea what it is made of (this isn't "our" universe remember), what it runs on, or whether or not people were actually "paid" to construct it? :rolleyes

Kevin

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back