How good are cheep masks??

Momo

Im after a Predator face mask. I see the fan made ones and drool over them but I know I could never afford something like that lol. I was looking for a cheep raw mask but that seams to be no avail either. What I have seen though are the cheep masks in the £20 range (pic below) on ebay but Im a bit aprehensive about buying one wondeing how good the quality is. Ive brought a pair of gloves once which looked good in the pic but were rubbish when I got them, I had to make a splint to go iside to keep the shape, ever since Ive wonderd if the cheep masks are any good or not?
Thanks

r4152.jpg

replace the word mask with any other word and you have your answer.

"How good are cheap tires/shoes/lifejackets/etc......"

most of the time you get what you pay for.

the mask you have a picture of will have a paintjob that is inferior to what is pictured. they always show a really good paintup on the picture but the actual paint will suck balls.
now with that being said, if you can paint, you can paint over and get a decent mask. but you will also want to put in proper dreads as well. since that one has only 4 dreads that are part of the head sculpt.

Im after a Predator face mask. I see the fan made ones and drool over them but I know I could never afford something like that lol. I was looking for a cheep raw mask but that seams to be no avail either. What I have seen though are the cheep masks in the £20 range (pic below) on ebay but Im a bit aprehensive about buying one wondeing how good the quality is. Ive brought a pair of gloves once which looked good in the pic but were rubbish when I got them, I had to make a splint to go iside to keep the shape, ever since Ive wonderd if the cheep masks are any good or not?
Thanks

The mask you have pictured isn't very good---it's only a 3/4 mask, and has no backside to it. That makes it hard to modify.

I have two of the Rubies Deluxe masks:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Co-PR...K/dp/B001EB4XWK

I heavily modified both of them by adding dreads, teeth, LEDs, better padding. There's a thread around here somewhere from people who have modded this mask.

They cost more than the cheap 3/4 mask, but are much better-looking and easier to modify and customize.

Being artistic aint a problem for me, "Chop shopping" items Im ok with iswell.

Ive seen that mask (in the link above) for sale but I never realy paid attenchon to because I all ready had the mask plate thing (showing how much of a noob I am now to this by refering to bits as things :rolleyes: ), but if its good and all it needs is a few modifications I will defiantly go check it out now.

Thanks

Being artistic aint a problem for me, "Chop shopping" items Im ok with iswell.

Ive seen that mask (in the link above) for sale but I never realy paid attenchon to because I all ready had the mask plate thing (showing how much of a noob I am now to this by refering to bits as things :rolleyes: ), but if its good and all it needs is a few modifications I will defiantly go check it out now.

Thanks

The plate thing is known as the "bio mask". The one that comes with the Rubies deluxe is very thin and warps easily. That can be fixed by either paper mache-ing or bondo-ing a layer on the inside to stiffen it. I also modified my bio mask by attaching bits and pieces to it.

The Deluxe face mask itself needs more than "a few" modifications :D but they're not hard to make, and the end result can look pretty good.

Save for the real thing and you will be very proud of it when you can own one. Some bargains come up in the BST section of the forum here :rolleyes:

I converted a 3/4 mask into a full mask. Basically i bought the 3/4 for the your picture above (but honestly item not as shown) i then got a black baseball cap and unstitched the beak and then sewed a strip of black material (an old tshirt will do) around the back and sides of the cap so there would be no skin on show once i was wearing the mask.

I then stitched about 34 dreadlocks to the cap (decreasing in size around the sides) which took forever!!!!! the ones at the very top of the back of the head i lined up with the dread holes. I then superglued the hat to the mask.

I was a lil' long winded but it worked for me.

Heres a picture of my 3/4 mask conversion, sorry for the picture delay had a problem uploading the image
IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back