How dose one make aluminum rust?

shortimer52

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok I have a aluminum stalk for my Boba. Id like it to rust up a little but how dose one do that with aluminum? Should I just spray it down with salt water or what?

go to michaels and they sell stuff that gives the faux appearance of rust, much handier than possibly accidentally getting tetnis.......

Originally posted by mez7@Jan 31 2006, 11:24 PM
go to michaels and they sell stuff that gives the faux appearance of rust, much handier than possibly accidentally getting tetnis.......
[snapback]1173151[/snapback]​

Id love to do that if there was a hobby shop with in a 1 hour trip. But I live in BFE now. So any other ideas?

Just incase I make it to a hobby shop whats that stuff called?

Aluminim doesn't rust, it oxidizes to a flaky white appearance. If you are looking to get a red (or other color rust) I would suggest a faux paint job.

Originally posted by acerocket@Feb 1 2006, 01:10 AM
Aluminim doesn't rust, it oxidizes to a flaky white appearance.  If you are looking to get a red (or other color rust) I would suggest a faux paint job.
[snapback]1173188[/snapback]​
As stated above, but to add, it also pits during it's corrosion process.

Shortimer,
If rust is all you need than rust is what you will get. check out this web site. This weathering powder requiers NO overcoating for bonding. This stuff is the greatest. I use it on all of my projects requiring weathering and rusting.

http://www.bragdonent.com/weather.htm

Later Brother....

dont know the name of the stuff i saw, cause i only looked at it once put it back cause i didnt need it then :p and since i have a garage full of paint and stuff i dont need already..:lol......
if you have a hardware store or something that sells spraypaint, and you can find rust coloured paint......spray some on, and sand it....will give it a good rusty weathered look,

You CAN make aluminum rust, with liquid mercury. I read that in Popular Science.

If you really hated someone, you need only toss a bucket of mercury on his Lightsaber collection, the rust and corrosion starts in minutes.

If you mix Rivets in Alu VS steel it will Corode. It will become effect from them that will make it happend.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back