How do you afford this hobby?

I work hard and tend to be very selective about what goes into the museum. I actually set a budget for the year and if it looks as though I'm going to bust it, I sell a few things. My wife is very supportive and allows me to maintain my stuff in the theater room. Due to overcrowding, we both agree that a little garage sale may be necessary.

The cool thing about this hobby is that you can be involved regardless of your budget because there is simply so much out there. For example, when I was in college, I desperately wanted a Blade Runner blaster. I snagged as resin casting for $50, painted it myself and cherished it for years. Now that I'm a professional, I purchased the Tomenoskue (as well as a Coyle and a Hartford, but that's a different story). The point being - starting small and on a budget is a great way to stay involved. You don't need to own every "tentpole" prop repro made.

Make and sell just enough to break even or to buy what you need.

Just don't let it turn into a business because that is when it no longer stays fun and it now becomes labor intensive work!!!:$

i started selling my body for sex, unfortunately i have now filed for bankruptcy as a result.

-z

Play in a band and no kids also helps with a very, very good wife. Plus watch ebay, not for recasts but for what I really like, mislabled props. Some people dont really know how to list them or what to call them and if you search alot as I, you will find them. I came across a red button Coyle phaser II for 25 a couple of years ago.
And I swap and build R&R buildings for layouts.
btw, did I also say I work a full time job and sold a kidney

Double income, no kids helps a lot!

I still try to minimize costs down where ever I can. Whenever possible I try to make things in pairs. One for me, one to sell. I like to buy what others may consider beat up props and fix them up myself. I also stick to one genre only ... Trek. And like Mustang said, you can find some killer deals on eBay if you search and search often.

Ive only just really started collecting.

But so far, I find living at home with the parents, with next to no living expenses really helps out. I can continually save for a house to put everything in and still make some impulsive decisions when it comes to buying. Im planning to buy a house towards the end of the year though, so from then, I'll have to factor it into a small portion of the budget.

The money I make in the hobby stays in the hobby. I do runs of items that I make from time to time, helps to shore up the prop funds. :)

SNIP
Do your wives/husbands negate you from being able to acquire the things you want the most,
or do you take a little out of each check and save for something you truly desire?

I look for bargains, build or modify most of my own stuff,
and occasionally sell some duplicates to finance new acquisitions.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3541

Last edited:
For non-married people without kids, like myself, I guess a strong love for the props in question and plenty of patience goes a long ways.

Unless your the guy making and selling replicas. In that case, sell a replica, buy another!

-Carson

I have only ONE goal in this hobby --
I collect only Star Wars original trilogy lightsabers.
And I'm into Camaro's... which ironically is less tedius than THIS cursed hobby!!!

Almost anything nowadays when it comes to 'hobbies' is expensive. Look at the people who get involved in boating, ATV, biking, etc. All cost money.

We are fortunate that if we have some skill- we can make our hobby interests!

As far as myself...right now a lot of projects are on hold since I made the move from East to West Coast. I keep an eye out though, look for coupons and sales on items that we'll be using, go to Goodwill/Thrift stores for fabric, raw materials (you'd be surprised what you can find!!).

All in all- BE CREATIVE. And that is why we're here :)

I let the hobby pay for the hobby. What i make with the projects i do, is mine to spend. I use it to buy better tools, expand the collection a little, buy materials and to build up a college fund for my kids.

I make everything I can with the most cost-effective materials possible. That's one reason I haven't gotten all the way into molding and casting and doing runs of things as yet; the cost of entry is more than I have available right now. But as I start making one-offs on commission a little more (I have a weapon build coming up that will net me a couple hundred, for instance) I'll funnel that money into larger projects for myself, like my next Con costume. Just letting it feed itself as much as it can - the prize money my steampunk Portal gun won, for instance, only covered about half the price of building it, but I would've built it anyway, so, bonus!

That's the way to do it, mate. I took me 10 years to become a somewhat skilled builder with the essential tools and skills. It's like walking a ladder, my next goals are a lathe and a CNC mill

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back