How do I figure out which material to mold and cast cosplays and props?

Peter Parke 67

Hi, Last year I made a batman cosplay using eva foam based on the Pattinson movie which I didn't get to finish unfortunately. I want tp reattemp it using the molding and casting technique which I've seen a lot on the internet and the results seem visually better. The thing is that I don't know Jack about it. Especially in the material department. I've heard some people mentioning polyurethane, silicone, resin, latex, fiber glass, or sometimes mention them but they call them "liquid", latex foam and more. So which am I supposed to use for cosplaying? Or does it depend on what am making? If am making let's say a red hood armor or a batsuit, do I use the same material to cast the whole thing or does the helmet/cowl require a different one? If yes, are there other pieces of the cosplay that require a different material? Does the props so too? What about the mold? Am I supposed to use the same stuff for both the mold and the cast? Please enlighten about this whole making cosplays by molding and casting things!
Your help will en appreciated.

Ps: Before anyone says that it's too complicated or that it's too soon for me to try. Well everybody starts somewhere. Also, after accidentally destroying my foam torso pieces last year and having to redo them over 10 times I am patient enough for anything!

I hate to say it, but youtube has become a really great reference for this type of stuff, probably better than the good ol' RPF. Try searching 'DIY red hood armor tutorial' or something like that and see what comes up. Tons of REALLY talented people making all kinds of really details videos on how to make stuff.
Smooth-on also has their own channel with great product tutorials, though they tend to be kind of random in their subject matter.

Hi, Last year I made a batman cosplay using eva foam based on the Pattinson movie which I didn't get to finish unfortunately. I want tp reattemp it using the molding and casting technique which I've seen a lot on the internet and the results seem visually better. The thing is that I don't know Jack about it. Especially in the material department. I've heard some people mentioning polyurethane, silicone, resin, latex, fiber glass, or sometimes mention them but they call them "liquid", latex foam and more. So which am I supposed to use for cosplaying? Or does it depend on what am making? If am making let's say a red hood armor or a batsuit, do I use the same material to cast the whole thing or does the helmet/cowl require a different one? If yes, are there other pieces of the cosplay that require a different material? Does the props so too? What about the mold? Am I supposed to use the same stuff for both the mold and the cast? Please enlighten about this whole making cosplays by molding and casting things!

Ps: Before anyone says that it's too complicated or that it's too soon for me to try. Well everybody starts somewhere. Also, after accidentally destroying my foam torso pieces last year and having to redo them over 10 times I am patient enough for anything!
hi there sorry i cant give advice on this but i wish you all the luck with your project

I hate to say it, but youtube has become a really great reference for this type of stuff, probably better than the good ol' RPF. Try searching 'DIY red hood armor tutorial' or something like that and see what comes up. Tons of REALLY talented people making all kinds of really details videos on how to make stuff.
Smooth-on also has their own channel with great product tutorials, though they tend to be kind of random in their subject matter.

Remember when this kind of information was shared through group builds and visiting workshops. What a time to be part of this hobby!

-Skyler101

If you’re looking to invest some money, the Stan Winston School has a variety of courses on mold-making and casting - Stan Winston School of Character Arts

Sean

The direct answer to your question is: get educated.

Reynolds Materials, for example, frequently has classes on materials and how to use them. They have had a variety of seminars on the basics and can usually answer the questions that will set you in the right direction.

Stan Winston studios has a series of videos on a multitude of sp/fx topics.

Home Depot has had classes in basic construction techniques and may have them in your area.

And of course YouTube has become a source of a lot of education on most topics. Be careful of online videos however. Any that do not stress safety should be considered for reference only.

Learning the basics will set you on a path to building anything you are able.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back