Question How do I delete an accidental post? (answered)

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by Zorger, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Zorger

Zorger New Member

Hey gang!

Finally joined up and ran into my first problem - how do I delete a post?

What happened was:

On the "Replica Props" forum, the first thing I did was try to post my first-ever message on the "**** New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here!" thread.

But, for some reason my post didn't appear at first so I waited, tried refreshing the page many times, etc. but nothing, couldn't get my post to appear.

So I thought my message got lost in cyberspace and wrote it again, and got it to work! However - a day or two later my initial first post did appear on the thread (post #2781).

So now I've got two posts there and I'd like to delete the first one that went awry.

But for the life of me, I cannot find the "delete post" option anywhere, even though the Edit button says "Edit/Delete". I can see all sorts of cool formatting options and whatnot, but no "delete" button.

I wonder if I can't delete my post because I'm such a new member - maybe I don't have access to that function yet (or something)?

If only mods are able to help me out, please don't delete my successful "first" post (#2782) :)

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Petsku

2. Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan Active Member

Click on your name in the post and it will give you the option to edit your post. I don't know if you can delete the thread, but you can change the name of it to "delete". Then a mod can clear it.

3. Zorger

Zorger New Member

Hmm... nope, clicking on my name doesn't give me options like that (only things like "View Public Profile", etc.).

Only the "Edit" button says "Edit/Delete Message" when I hover over it with the mouse pointer.

But like I said, when the Edit button is clicked on, the edit page that opens doesn't seem to let you delete the post.

Also, since I'm talking about a single post here, I can't do exactly what you suggested ("change the name of it to delete") - I can only edit the post and then on it of course say something like "please delete", etc.

Any long time members know more about this?

Thanks!
    Petsku

4. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

As a member, you can edit your post, but you cannot delete it.

5. Zorger

Zorger New Member

Ok - thanks for the answer, Art and RPF staff!

I'll just leave the post hanging then, it's probably not hurting anybody (maybe staff wants to delete it at some point, post #2781 in that thread).

Thanks,
    Petsku

6. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Double posts by new members lead to bans.

I kid, of course. Only double threads lead to bans :p

If you made a big booboo please report your own posts, we´ll then take care of it. Somehow...

Michael
    RPF staff

7. Zorger

Zorger New Member

Me made a big booboo :-/

Ok I reported my own post as you instructed, "you may fire when ready" (i.e. delete the post at your convenience).

Thanks ManfromNaboo and RPF staff!

Petsku