HOUSE OF THE DRAGON: Valyrian Steel

Riskbreaker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Your favorite podcast about prop-collecting is back! This week, THE STUFF DREAMS ARE MADE OF interviews master swordsmith Peter Johnsson who, as Peter Lyon did for LOTR, built our famous swords in the "old way." We talk to Peter Johnsson all about the design and construction of Blackfyre and Dark Sister, the two Targaryen ancestral swords made of the most precious metal in Westeros: Valyrian Steel.

Enjoy!

RG_Props_052721_OU_0166.JPG
RG_Props_052721_OU_0024.JPG

Outstanding episode as always - and outstanding show!

I never appreciated how much complex geometry goes into sword design before watching discussions by Peter. There are several lectures on YouTube that go into further depth, and his intimate understanding of sword mechanics is boggling.

One point I hoped he would mention and missed, though, is an explanation of the step at the base of each blade, almost like a ricasso but apparently still intended to be sharpened? It looks really cool; I'm just curious about its function and relation to historical blades if anyone knows.

And a quick shout-out to Duke of Craft 's already-completed replica Blackfyre build:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back