Hoth Ion Cannon Diorama in 1/48

I have a few requests for the plating for the ball.
Had to get a few sheets cut.

IMG_6542.jpgIMG_6543.jpg

Here is the marking jig made to draw out the equatorial lines on the ball.

IMG_6564.jpg
Cut the same way I made the jigs for stretching the plastic.

IMG_6565.jpg
Then cut in half with a bolt in one end and rings at the other end to I can fit a screw so it can pivot.
I had to make a plug to center the bolt where the nozzle come out, this was a mistake just drill a small hole in the ball to pivot the jig, and cut the large hole latter.

IMG_6571.jpgIMG_6572.jpg
The Jig is should rotate around the ball completely.

We are using 3 sheets of the plating I have made be cause they fit the ball perfectly you will need just a little tape to hold them into position.
Mark it out with a lead pencil so if you don't like the line you have made you can rub it out and start again.

IMG_6573.jpgIMG_6575.jpgIMG_6576.jpgIMG_6578.jpgIMG_6579.jpgIMG_6580.jpgIMG_6581.jpgIMG_6583.jpgIMG_6584.jpgIMG_6585.jpgIMG_6586.jpgIMG_6587.jpgIMG_6589.jpg

With the plastic being thicker than you would normally use you will need to use some snips to cut the plastic i recommend you get a pair of left and right handed cutting snips to make it easy when you are cutting along the curves.

IMG_6590.jpg

Thanks for all of the demo pictures! I don't know how I missed them the first time I looked at this thread.

So, just to be clear, are you doing two different projects? A larger and a smaller?

Thanks for all of the demo pictures! I don't know how I missed them the first time I looked at this thread.

So, just to be clear, are you doing two different projects? A larger and a smaller?
I am going to make 2 of the same size.
Our modelling group have other members making the same size cannon that is why I have lots of plastic plus I am doing another ball and plating for another guy over seas who I will be catching up with over Christmas.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back