Honey I Shrunk The Kids SHRINK RAY

The Newport Research Corporation's website says that the miniature rail flat carrier, model MCF, is 25.4mm (1-inch) wide.

Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 5.07.33 PM.png

There's a shot in the movie that shows this part - along with the front of the ray - from a straight head-on perspective. This should be really useful for determining the dimensions of the other components on the front of the ray.

To try this out, I did a quick measurement using that part as reference, and it looks like the aluminum cone at the front of the ray is exactly 3 inches in diameter.

Measurements.jpg

Last edited:
The more I look through screenshots of the film, the more I'm convinced that the laser is a Uniphase brand helium neon laser. All of the labels appear to be the same. We just need to nail down the exact model.
UniphaseComparison.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-12-05-10h38m35s14.png

vlcsnap-2016-12-05-10h36m14s117.png

vlcsnap-2016-12-05-10h13m33s22.png

The text spacing on the Uniphase label in the film seems to be slightly different, but that may just be a difference of when that particular model was manufactured. The label design may have changed over the years.
Laserlabel.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the camcorder mounted to the top of the ray is a Sony Handycam model CCD-V30.
Angle2.jpg

There aren't really any clear views of the camcorder in the film, but the parts of it I can see look like the CCD-V30. The tape door on the left side of the camcorder is the same, and the details on the front of the camcorder also appear to be the same.
Angle1.jpg

battery.jpg

There is another Sony model - the CCD-V3 - that appears to be identical to the CCD-V30 except the CCD-V3 is black instead of gray.

Sony Handycam CCD-V30
il_570xN.449439471_exv9.jpeg

Sony Handycam CCD-V3
68823890eee35f0ee2cbde82942f4018.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been looking at that metal nose cone, and I think it may not be one piece. I think it's actually two pieces. I think the metal part directly below the cone looks like a metal container lid with rolled edges, similar to the kind of lid that's used on a tea or spice container.

lid.jpg

I think the cone is a separate piece that is affixed to the top of a metal lid, and then the lid is fitted over the top of a cylinder.

bothcomp.jpg

I think the cone piece is slightly smaller in diameter than the metal lid. This creates a bit of a ridge around the perimeter of the cone piece.
both diagrams.jpg

Last edited:
OH man Christmas came early this year, Rymo, you the man. Thank you for sharing all that info with us. This prop is up there with the proton pack and delorean for favorite junk 80's builds

I just happened to catch Honey, I Shrunk the Kids on Netflix over the weekend, and I thought "I wonder if anyone on the RPF has made this thing yet?" So, I started looking through the threads and couldn't find much, so I decided to spend the last few days doing some shrink ray research. Hopefully the information I've found is good enough to inspire someone to finally tackle this build.
OH man Christmas came early this year, Rymo, you the man. Thank you for sharing all that info with us. This prop is up there with the proton pack and delorean for favorite junk 80's builds

The computer that controls the shrink ray looks like a Hewlett-Packard 9000 PC-305 computer with two 5-1/4 floppy disk drives installed.

vlcsnap-2016-12-09-12h08m16s84.png

HP_PC-305.jpeg

MOVs, aka Metal-Oxide Varistors, often come in that size and coloring, and are normally more durable than capacitors. They also have the advantage to being designed for HV use, and thus look the part on an item such as the Shrink-Ray.
Another good thing about a build such as this, is that it's so full of greeblies, that you can throw almost anything in a parts store / junkyard / hardware store on it, and it'll look like it belongs.
If I remember correctly, they may not be HQ, but some decent overall images can be found in the first movie as well. I remember some close-ups of the device from when the baseball fell into the laser beam path.

I'm hoping this hasn't been forgotten! I'd love to see one built. :)

David
aka Marty McFly Dallas Cosplay

thanks, the printer I had wasn't able to print it full scale so id say its about 12 inches tall. everyone on this thread has done an incredible job of digging up rare and otherwise obscure parts and I hope to one day create a full scale version but for now this works just fine

Made an account just to post.
That nose cone looks suspiciously like a tooled up oil filter base plate. My Google-fu isnt strong enough to find pictures of any from around the time this was filmed so I cannot provide a make or part number. It's the first thing i thought of when i saw it and I figured I'd throw in my $0.02.

It does look a lot like an oil filter plate! That would even account for the rolled edge Rymo noticed as that is where the rubber gasket of the filter would be. Could the nose very well be the interior side of an oil filter plate?

I thought the angle of the "cone" seemed correct along with the oblong egg shaped holes. The hole pattern would also be correct depending on the make of said filter. If it is it would only be a matter of chucking it into a lathe to sharpen/polish it up and to remove the threads for attachment. Also, I noticed when looking through some of these screen grabs that there is a red/orange backer behind the nozzle itself which I now believe to be the "Anti-Drainback valve" of said filter.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back