Hit-Girl (Kick-Ass)

Some more photos:

SakuraCon2013_JBP-645-X3_zps65341cda.jpg

^ One of my favorites from that shoot!

Thanks to forum member replicaprops, I finally got an awesome balisong! It's a replica Benchmade 42, and the closest thing I'll ever personally get to the real deal. For the purpose I need it for this thing is great!!! Though it's looking a little less badass now that the blade has been dulled for prop use. These photos were taken before the dulling.

DSC03426-resize_zpscacba52f.jpg

DSC03425-resize_zps565434f6.jpg

DSC03430-resize_zpsdabb3abd.jpg

DSC03427-resize_zpsebff1285.jpg

It's close enough that it'll fool some people, but without spending the $300+ for the real thing only for me to have to do the soul-crushing deed of dulling it for use with the costume. Overall I'm VERY pleased with it and the price was sure right!

The new photos look great.
Did you ever get validated over at M.W.?
I finally got the info to finish my Colonel Stars and Stripes.

The new photos look great.
Did you ever get validated over at M.W.?
I finally got the info to finish my Colonel Stars and Stripes.

Thank you!! I never did. :/ Have you had any luck? I'm pretty much writing it off at this point.

That's so awesome!! I saw that NECA was coming out with a replica of The Colonel's bat. That's pretty cool, I wonder if they'll be coming out with anything else from the new movie! I'd kill to see somebody produce a replica of the Mindy Stick.

I was finally validated but then they disabled my messaging function.... Guess I shouldn't have used IM to complain about validation.

The NECA replica looks cool but theirs is longer than mine, plus it is an exclusive. I should have waited and not did mine from production photo estimates.

I don't think you need to kill for a Mindy Stick... I am sure one will show up, I mean they did the Colonel's, just hope its not an exclusive or you won't be the only one on the warpath.

I was finally validated but then they disabled my messaging function.... Guess I shouldn't have used IM to complain about validation.

The NECA replica looks cool but theirs is longer than mine, plus it is an exclusive. I should have waited and not did mine from production photo estimates.

I don't think you need to kill for a Mindy Stick... I am sure one will show up, I mean they did the Colonel's, just hope its not an exclusive or you won't be the only one on the warpath.

Oh my gosh are you serious? That's hilarious but petty at the same time.

That's why I like to wait to start costumes until after the movie comes out. (Or in my case sometimes I wait years because I always seem to miss the bandwagons.) I'm sure your prop regardless looks awesome, I'm sure NECA's will run $150+. So at least you're saving money!

That's a good point, and since it looks like the Mindy Stick be more prominently featured in KA2, maybe it could actually happen. That would be pretty rad. I broke one end of mine twirling it around like an idiot, so I clearly need something more sturdy than I can personally make. :facepalm

Thank you!! That would be awesome if you guys did that!

Yeah he is... I was all over this until I found out you had to either be local to London, or actually be able to pay your way over there in order to participate. Huge bummer. (Not to mention my account is still in the validating stage.) But I'd kill for that opportunity.

I had this same problem. I never got past the validation part on the forum. Would have been fun, though!

I had the same problem as you with my first attempt in 2010. I also fell absolutely in love with this character and her movie version costume, and just had to do it! I'm actually very happy with how my first attempt looked (see avatar), but as with everything, some parts were a lot better than others and my body suit was my weakest link, too. Very, very hot and just didn't hold up. Took some damage at its first outing and pretty much destroyed on its second. I've modified it a lot and completely redyed it (mine was a pleather-type material that didn't stay compressed in one layer - the under layer was a polyester and the other was almost a plastic - the plastic tore, so I ripped it all off, then redyed the white underlying poly with iDye Poly). It took the dye well and it now looks the part pretty well again, but I cheated on my knee and elbow pads, since I couldn't find anything like the movie version at the time.

Please send me the link, too?

Thank you! By the way, I made my knee and elbow pads by covering the straps of a black pair with the fabric of the suit. It worked, but I'd love to have the improved version you found. I'm cosplaying Hit-Girl again this fall at Dragon*Con, and I realize it's likely too late for me to get a suit for that now, but I'm interested in general if I can find one to fit me.

Also, love your cosplay in general. Well done! I ran out of time and money when I made mine, so I stayed with the non-suspenders version of Hit-Girl, with intentions of adding the suspenders, holsters, knives, grenade, etc, later. And then...well...you know how it is. I got roped into other cosplays and since my body suit was toast anyway, it didn't happen. Perhaps I will add to it later, but perhaps not. I like the scaled-down version, too. So, who knows? *shrug* Nice to know and Easter egg will work for the grenade, though. Brilliant idea!

PS: here's mine in entirety.

PS: No interest in the Kick-Ass 2 version here, either. Don't really know what. Just...meh. Not interested.

I did see the movie tonight, though, and it was fun. For me, it wasn't as good as the first, but it was very true to the books, so that was cool. (Though there were a few very notable tweaks, but no spoilers here...)

Oh, and I ran into a Kick-Ass on my very first time to wear this cosplay. Totally by chance. I have photos somewhere, but I have no idea where right now. ;) Funny thing, though. We were nearly the same height. So, when we took a few photos, I bent at the knees a bit to try to get the correct look. ;)

And finally: Again, absolutely stunning job, and serious props to your photographers! Gorgeous all around!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back