History channel International name change

Wes R

Legendary Member
They've gone all scifi channel on us and are now called H2. I liked History International as they tended not to have the crap reality shows on but sadly that looks like it is about to change. I just can't figure out why call it H2 when HI worked just was well. Guess you have to stay hip.

This is all a set up for when H2 (nee History Int'l) and Oxygen merge to form the channel H2O.

Or was it H2 and the Oprah channel?

All the complaining and arguing that happens in the reality shows it could be on Oprah's channel. Oddly enough lifetime now has pawnstars on.

I wish they'd make a Modern Marvels channel. Non stop Modern Marvels all the time! I love that show. Especially when the focus is on food or candy. :)

History Channel has gone downhill. At least the docs they used to air are on DVD. What the hell is so historic about Ice Road Truckers?

I wish they'd make a Modern Marvels channel. Non stop Modern Marvels all the time! I love that show. Especially when the focus is on food or candy. :)

i wish they'd have more specials on weird and secret weapons like they did with the secret weapons of the allies and from the cold war. They act like there isn't anymore things to be made into documentaries but Iceroad truckers and such is aimed at the mindless masses just like all reality shows and they're cheap. though i cant' see how filming in bolivia for the deadliest roads series is cheap.

H2 stands for Hitler squared. Much of their programming was already either about or had the name Hitler in the title. Well now they're squaring it by resurrecting him and putting him on a reality TV show where he must live in the wilderness of Alaska, hunting bears.

H2 stands for Hitler squared. Much of their programming was already either about or had the name Hitler in the title.

There was a while when we actually called it the Hitler Channel, because every time we turned it on it was some WWII documentary. I'm not talking a few times, but every time... for a couple months.

Question:

How SERIOUSLY into history are the folks in this thread? I mean, like, would you audit a college lecture on a given topic? If so, I can point you in the right direction.

I second the Modern Marvels all the time channel.
I dvr all the episodes.

Solo, I have audited several college history and anthropology classes just because I was interested in it.
I am one of those weird people.

Actually so far from what H2 has been advertising it's basically what the history channel originally was, its not showing any reality shows but shows like "Building An empire" and such.

I second the Modern Marvels all the time channel.
I dvr all the episodes.

Solo, I have audited several college history and anthropology classes just because I was interested in it.
I am one of those weird people.

If that's the case, then check out The Great Courses. They're a company that sells college-level lecture series on DVD and/or audio (CD or MP3). Lectures are usually about 30 min long, and you usually get between 24 and 48 lectures per series. They aren't always cheap, but if you can get 'em on sale you can get some really interesting lectures.

PM me if you find their site interesting and are curious about specific courses. I'll be happy to offer my observations on the ones I've listened to (I tend to do the MP3s).

--EDIT--

Sorry, just realized the company changed its name from The Teaching Company to The Great Courses.

Last edited:
Question:

How SERIOUSLY into history are the folks in this thread? I mean, like, would you audit a college lecture on a given topic? If so, I can point you in the right direction.

Depends on the topic, really. Ancient Rome and Egypt I can learn about all day.

Part of the reason I gave up on the History Channel (and many of the PBS shows that appear on Netflix, as well as some other "history channel" style shows) was that they just didn't go in depth enough with the material for my tastes. Plus, crappy reenactors and a faux-dramatic narrator irritated me after a while. I tried watching something about the Knights Templar, but it was all this "Legends claim that the Templars found...The Holy Grail!" crap while guys who couldn't hack it at the Ren Faire mug for the cameras.

The stuff from the Great Courses is taught by college professors who literally just lecture, so it's definitely NOT for everyone. The DVDs include some visuals, like maps, paintings, photographs (where appropriate), etc., but you can pretty much get the most of it just by listening to the lectures. Anyway, I've found them to generally be fantastic lectures, and only had a few minor complaints about one or two of the professors (one guy seemed to be reading his textbook aloud, and there are a few people with...less than enthralling voices).

If you can handle that, though, there's a ton of information. For ancient Rome, there are probably, oh, four or five courses to choose from, depending on how far you want to go.

This is funny because over the weekend I was just telling my dad that the History Channel is going to probably pull a Syfy because nothing historical is on there.

There was a while when we actually called it the Hitler Channel, because every time we turned it on it was some WWII documentary. I'm not talking a few times, but every time... for a couple months.

I actually watch that stuff. Anything WW2 and I'm there. :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back