High elven warrior costume build LOTR

These are the patterns I used for my armor, though I slighty modified some of the hip armor to be bigger. These I Found online. I wish these were higher resolution, but it gives the basic proportions.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well, I've never been a huge fan of the UC helmet, as the shape isn't an accurate screen match. So I might have done something a little stupid and gutsy, but I'm actually happy with how it turned out. I hot water heat-formed the bottom of the helmet and the sides to be closer in, to look more like the real ones do. I also steamed the nose guard in so it almost touches my nose. (It was 3 centimeters away before). I know this might be a big no-no with a pricey UC item, but Im not ever going to sell it, and I didn't want to keep looking at it thinking "gee, I really wish those cheekbones were in closer) Now the helmet fits my head snug and feels really good; not too big overall, like it was before. It could be modified further, but I don't want to get greedy. Here's mine on display, and the real thing for comparison, and a few shots on my head.
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

Kelsohighlander,

Could you elaborate a little on how you put together the shoulder plates and the waist armor? I'm basing my set mostly off of your work of art, and I've reached a bit of an impass there. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Man, I wish I'd thought of doing this for my last armor piece. Much more durable than craft foam and a damn sight cheaper than leather. Heck, it's probably cheaper than craft foam, all told. Thanks for posting this build; I think this might help a lot of people.

Kelsohighlander,

Could you elaborate a little on how you put together the shoulder plates and the waist armor? I'm basing my set mostly off of your work of art, and I've reached a bit of an impass there. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Everything's held together with Brads, just hole punched and lined up.
image.jpg
Inside

image.jpg
Outside

image.jpg
I'm doing a shoot in two or three days, so then I can take it apart and get you some good shots of the inside breastplate. It takes about 20 min to get dressed in all this!

Everything's held together with Brads, just hole punched and lined up.
I'm doing a shoot in two or three days, so then I can take it apart and get you some good shots of the inside breastplate. It takes about 20 min to get dressed in all this!

Wow! Thanks so much! I've never taken on a project of this magnitude before and you've been a great help and inspiration.

My heart fluttered looking at these - it's like you brought an elf to life. Beautiful work... just in awe.:love

Dear Kelsohighlander,

i'm trying to make the Rivendell guard armor. I will use the same patterns you found on the internet (the only ones around I guess) but I have no idea how to print them.
Do you have a photoshop file or something similar, or maybe the actual size of the patterns?
It would be really helpfull!

Greetings, and a lot of appreciation for your amazing work!

Dear Kelsohighlander,

i'm trying to make the Rivendell guard armor. I will use the same patterns you found on the internet (the only ones around I guess) but I have no idea how to print them.
Do you have a photoshop file or something similar, or maybe the actual size of the patterns?

Thanks. I actually eyed the patterns, and I think I got lucky. My shoulder pieces are larger than the screen ones. if I were you, I'd make a cardboard or posterboard one first, freehand eyeing the dimensions, and then adjust them to fit your body type as necessary. I'm larger around the middle than you're average elf, so mine I adjusted accordingly. All the best with your build.

Dear Kelsohighlander,

If you want, you can check out my thread for reference here on therpf, as I too am making the Rivendell Elf Armor.

Are the armor templates available here anywhere?? The 2nd Age Templates have disappeared from the net I think and so far, everyone who has made a set has apparently lost them. If anyone has them, please message me. THANKS!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back