HIC Side Panels WIP - FINISHED! New pics pg.2

Not much work on the greeblies yet, but I did mess around with trying to figure out what to put for the metal inserts.
I didn't get to cut the aluminum sheet yet, but I did a test on some chrome vinyl and I feel it is just as good and easier for me to make:
CHROME-VINYL.jpg

Not much work on the greeblies yet, but I did mess around with trying to figure out what to put for the metal inserts.
I didn't get to cut the aluminum sheet yet, but I did a test on some chrome vinyl and I feel it is just as good and easier for me to make:
CHROME-VINYL.jpg

THAT is a brilliant solution.

I was going to do a brushed aluminum decal set for the panels after cutting some anti static bags up and using double stick tape as a test didnt sit well with me.

Here are my new inserts for the hero panel:
INSERTS3.jpg

INSERTS1.jpg

I also put glow-in-the-dark vinyl (temporary) behind the main insert and it looks pretty cool in the dark.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Yeah, details are what really sets props like these off.

I will be doing more of the detail pieces and since there are quite a few of those, they will be done separate from the main panels.

Anyone slapped the chrome handles on the end panels yet? Considering that there are only 3 or 4 sets of panels sold thus far (and I'm one of them), I'm guessing the odds aren't great...

It looks like the mounting posts are on 2.75" centers (correct me if I'm wrong, Ely). I've found several vendors, but this place LOOKS to be the cheapest.

4671_small.jpg

Scroll down until you see:

"4671 Wire Pull 2.75 in. cc $3.60"

Select "260 Polished Chrome", select quanity, and add to your cart.

Most places want $4.50+ each for these.

I think I'm going to do 2 "hero" panels for the ends/tops. I know that there was actually only one, and they flipped sides with it between the carbon freezing scene and the hallway scene, but I might just fix mine up so that BOTH sides have hero panels on the ends/tops.

That said, I'll need 4 handles - 2 for each panel.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Now, Ely, get to work on those greeblies!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, if this works out, I may get a few myself. The ones I've found at Home depot were either too large or too small, but these look promising.
If the 2.75" is measured between the centers of the wire pull ends, then they would fit perfectly.

Wow, if this works out, I may get a few myself. The ones I've found at Home depot were either too large or too small, but these look promising.
If the 2.75" is measured between the centers of the wire pull ends, then they would fit perfectly.

I measured the centers in the block using my calipers and they *look* like 2.75" centers. The pulls made by Baldwin come in 2.5", 2.75", 3.0", 3.5", and up to 5.0" centers. The 2.75" ones that I listed *should* work perfectly, all things considered.

The only issue might be that the size of the hole needed to be drilled to accomodate a 8-32 screw might be close to the same size as the molded post itself.

I think I'll try it anyway. Still beats what I've found at Lowe's and HD. ;)

I did a test on some chrome vinyl and I feel it is just as good and easier for me to make:
CHROME-VINYL.jpg

I made my own pieces today using my vinyl cutter. I used some scrap green vinyl, just to experiment with.

hicpanelvinyl2.jpg

Now that I'm happy with the shapes and how they fit in the panels, I'm going to make them using brushed aluminum vinyl. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back