HIC Side Panels WIP - FINISHED! New pics pg.2

VashDstampede

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's been a while, but I got around to working on my side panels that had been on the backburner for quite some time.

I still need to add the screw greeblies in the back recesses and fill and sand around the perimeter, but it's getting there.

I shot it with primer just to see what still needs fine tuning.

Maybe finishing this will get me off my butt and finish the rest of my HIC build:wacko:lol

Here are the pics:
1HIC-SIDE-PANELS-FRONT.jpg

1HIC-SIDE-PANELS-BACK.jpg

1HIC-SIDE-PANELS-SIDE.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: HIC Side Panels WIP

Thanks micdavis!
I'll be casting this hollow so that I can put some electronics in there.
I'm also working on my master cast of the HIC front panel, adding the details that the clear coat took away.
Hopefully soon, I'll have a lighter and more detailed Han in Carbonite to grace my wall.

The HIC panel was a multi year quest for me and once I got everything molded and fabricated, the molds and original master parts simply "vanished" from where they were stored. It seems to be a cursed project to do accurate panels. Ill post some pics up later of what I managed to get done.

as promised. Vince gave me his blessing to rework one of his castings, everything else is done from scratch. Too bad the molds and master parts, years of work, just vanished.

11uah75.jpg

Wow, that is awesome, but sucks that all that work disappeared.
Hopefully I can break this curse :D
I'm working on only a few greeblies for these and hope it comes out just as well as yours did.

Very nice panels. I saw your name mentioned in azheat's post on thedentedhelmet. I sent you a PM about the panels.

Thanks guys!
It shouldn't be too much longer before this is finished.
Once I get to casting, I'll see how much resin 8 panels will take up ;)

Thanks again!
micdavis - I want this to be more of a hollow cast, since I want the option of putting electronics in.
I'm hoping it will take less than two gallons, but if I can get eight from a 2 gallon kit, I'd be happy with it.

FYI, you may have structural problems with a hollow casting. My plan to keep the time frame, casting material costs and ease of mounting the panels, was to use a piece of wood as filler in the larger portion of the part. For the light up window, the area can be cut out easily. Or, if your very forward thinking, you could use a separate plug that locks into the main mold.

I've been using rotocast resin and hopefully, like my helmets, it should keep the shape very well.
There is also the option of foam filling using low pressure expanding foam to fill, just to have more stuctural strength.
I'll be trying these ideas out and hopefully by the end of next week, I'll have some samples.

If you use some form of plug to take up some of the interior space, you should easily get eight from two gallons. I simply didn't want to spend the time to make and deal with the plug.

If you do them mostly hollow, I'll want a set. Despite doing about 20 sets already myself.

Can't wait to see the finished master.

as promised. Vince gave me his blessing to rework one of his castings, everything else is done from scratch. Too bad the molds and master parts, years of work, just vanished.

11uah75.jpg

Huh, that's neat, just noticed the little "T" greeblies on the bottom left, those look like the same exact kinds used on the chest for snowtroopers

Finished!
Well, almost ;)
HIC-FINAL2.jpg

HIC-FINAL.jpg

I'll be molding this up tomorrow and hopefully get some castings Monday evening.
I'll also be making up some of the greeblies in the morning.

This has lasted longer than I wanted, but I'm glad to see the finish line on this project:love!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back