HIC Side Panels WIP - FINISHED! New pics pg.2

Thanks for sharing that Fetthunter.... I took 3" handles and reshaped them but maybe I'll pick up a set myself.:thumbsup

Hey, no problem. I see this as like a "community project". I'll try to help out and post as much as I can. Maybe something will help someone out along the way. :)

The greeblies are going to be tough.

I made the grill last night. I cut it in scrap blue vinyl so it wouldn't blend into the previous green pieces that I cut.

I realize that the grill piece and the other parts that I have cut won't ever go on the same side panel together. This is just to check dimensions, etc.

grillmockup.jpg

I'll either cut the grill in chrome vinyl, or in brushed aluminum.

grillmockup.jpg

This is the closest I've found to the metal knobs on the "hero" panel (see the top pic in my post above this one). They're replacement knobs for stereo equipment, and available on eBay from a seller in China:

bf_1.JPG

It looks like the original knobs were 12mm wide, which is .5". These are 17mm wide, which is roughly .67". 99.9% of the people who will ever see my carbonite block won't care. ;)

As for the colored tops, I'll just cut discs out of appropriately-colored vinyl and apply it myself. Looks like one has a white or yellow top and the other has a black top. Easy enough to replicate. :thumbsup

grillmockup.jpg

Hold on here....you cut mesh and didnt say anything! (subtle hint)

The knobs look more like a knurled tele knob to me (of course a guitar knob is too large)

I am actually mixing and matching various greeblies from different people with good results so far. I am actually almost done with mine....but I'm working on a "secret" mod that I havent seen anyone do so far....:angel

Hold on here....you cut mesh and didnt say anything! (subtle hint)

The knobs look more like a knurled tele knob to me (of course a guitar knob is too large)

Hey, I posted that I had cut the grill piece, and my signature says that I do vinyl decals, so.... ;)

yeah, I've got some Fenders. I checked the knobs, but no go. :( There are lots online, but after scaling the measurements by the pics I have, none really match. :unsure

The knobs are diamond knurled.
They look like the might be a Stratocaster variation or similar (which makes sense with the other known guitar and amp knobs used in SW).

A photo I took of the knobs when the prop was in London:
carbonite_knobs.jpg

EDIT - While they look black in the above photo, they must be chrome.
I was double checking other people's pics and came across this (also from London):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simononly/3104912540/sizes/o/
They could be chrome flat tops for a guitar.

Last edited:
Really digging the WIPs and brainstorming!

lonepigeon - That is an excellent reference pic. thanks for posting. You wouldn't happen to have any more of the different panels would you?

Anyone else who can provide some nice shots of the HIC side panels, I'm sure everyone making these would love to see them.
Thanks in advance!

The knobs are diamond knurled.
They look like the might be a Stratocaster variation or similar (which makes sense with the other known guitar and amp knobs used in SW).

They could be chrome flat tops for a guitar.

Chris, was the carbonite block built in England/Elstree?

Also, every pic of the side of the block looks different. Are the panels gray, and the sides and recesses BLACK, or what? It's driving me BATTY! :lol

Last edited:

You know, that pic makes the block itself look like the sides are at 90 degree angles to the top panel, and not angled per the blueprints... :confused

Since the pic is cut off on the bottom, I extended the lines out until they met to re-create how the panels should meet.

carbangles.jpg

Ok, now I'm *really* confused. :confused If it IS just a block with "square" edges, then where did the carb blueprint get that the angles are 85.5 degrees??? :confused

I was looking at the cutout size VS the side panel size and they don't match up. The panel seems to be longer than the cutout.

The cutout size I got from the HIC Yahoo Group drawings.

Comments?

Thanks,
Jerry Greene

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back