Hero Season 1-2 Sonic Screwdriver

phez

Sr Member
Finally finished this up:lol. Sorry for the crappy pic's, my phone camera sort of fish eyes and distorts everything I try to shoot close up but it is all I have right now:cry. On to the Season 3-4 this weekend.

Here is the original build thread, none of the parts are CNC'd they are all machined using a hand mill and lathe so forgive the occasional slip here or there (some are intentional to match the original prop) :lol .

http://www.therpf.com/f9/eccleston-sonic-first-crack-121733/

10469-s1-2sonic2.jpg

10468-sonic1.jpg

10472-s1-2sonic5.jpg

10471-s1-2sonic4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys (even the Munson seal of approval, sweet! :lol).

And the 'crackle' finish came out really well.
It took a few tries to figure out how to get the small crack patten with that paint. That stuff is really a pain in the ass. I could not do it with the can, not saying it cant be done, I just could not get it to work evenly. After 4 tries (with the cracks too big), I emptied the spray can into a jar and used my airbrush to put the top coat on. It worked perfect the first time using the airbrush.

I spayed some Krylon polyurethane clear over the top of the crackle to seal it and it is not setting up (it is tacky). I think it might be reacting with the crackle. Any ideas on what to try to dry that stuff before repainting it (it is supposed to fully cure in 4 hours and it has been way over that). On the upside I have that crackle finish down now so I can redo it if I have to.

Last edited:
That’s just excellent work phez.

It’s so pleasing to see more sonic build thread there’s days, or is it just I’m looking more for sonic build threads, well, ether way, nice work phez.

I’m looking forward in seeing what you will start on next, maybe a display for your sonic collection, or do you have that, or mabe a dematerialisation circuit,…….. oh wait that was my next build, anyhow top job phez.

Thanks Rassilon

I did up plans for a Season 3-4 hero Sonic so I am working on that this weekend. And then on to ..... Another Sonic project :lol:lol:lol.

Hey what is that weird looking thing in the background (in the garage) of your Dalak profile picture. Is that a helicopter?

That’s just excellent work phez.

It’s so pleasing to see more sonic build thread there’s days, or is it just I’m looking more for sonic build threads, well, ether way, nice work phez.

I’m looking forward in seeing what you will start on next, maybe a display for your sonic collection, or do you have that, or mabe a dematerialisation circuit,…….. oh wait that was my next build, anyhow top job phez.

Hey it's nice here in the insane asylum for sonic wacko's:wacko
Yes yes precious, I will ask him.:wacko

“How many sonic do you have now”? phez :love

I thinks you may have what we call in the psychologists cycles
Sonic fever, or better known as sonic madness, my psychologists tell me that if you have anymore than three (3), then you have that condition.

Most Dr Who fans suffer from that condition, I however have a more server condition known as “Who-multi-propitis”
that’s by were the person, has more than one prop, and they are literally in ever part of the house and they can’t seem to stop making them.

I’m currently undergoing treatment every Friday night, Dr Dalek Caan and his Vodka Tonk is working so well. :wacko:wacko

Oh I forgotten to mention the helicopter, yeah it’s under going a Gas Turbine installation, our company manufactures the planetary drive for the Solar T62-2A and the 16A/B military gas turbines.

I’m installing a T62-2A gas turbine, but props keep getting in the way, as well as small gas turbine for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV’s)

I am up to about 10 so that is not a good sign :confused :confused :confused

No that's not a good sign phez, you most certainly do have
Who-multi-propitis,
Best to take 6 Vodka’s, and call me in the morning.:behave

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great Phez! Have you noticed any of the inherent fragility as described by the show with that wider model?

No it is definently not fragile. The slid movement is a little wonky compared to the season 3-4. You have to push from the bottom of the button to get it to slide nice and easy (from DrWho confidential when Eccleston talks about the sonic it looks like the real one might have had that problem too) but other than that it works great. I have not added anything to make it slide easier yet so that may let it work much smoother.

It looks like fortune has shined on me the polyurethane clear coat is almost dry!!!!!
No repaint :).

Great to hear on the drying!

Also interesting to hear your own findings on the slider. Its interesting to see it realised, as many prefer the tighter Tennant style, even Celestial Toystore's versions use that narrow slider due to the wonkyness.

Love seeing it though!

Great to hear on the drying!

Thanks for the kind words on the build. :)

Also interesting to hear your own findings on the slider. Its interesting to see it realised, as many prefer the tighter Tennant style, even Celestial Toystore's versions use that narrow slider due to the wonkyness.

I am going to improve the tolerance on the slide to see if tightening it up a bit solves the wokyness. I need to reduce the length of where the clear tube meets the slider part by about 1/4 inch to make it match the mechanism on the original but it is pretty close now. It was a ***** fitting the 12V fob battery in that slider (it is quite a bit narrower than the Season 3-4).

The narrow slider is a definite improvement, but I figured I would make it right or not at all. The switch tends to get caught on pocket material and I bet that was one of the reasons they fixed that in the new one. Lets face it, sans minor cosmetic differences a Season 1 without the wide slider is, well a Season 3-4 :lol. They fixed everything they did not like about the origenal by redoing it into the newer version. I am working on a 3-4 as we post :).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back