Hero Phaser Scratchbuild

Truth be told, the HMS is the stock grip, but shortened a bit. The MM is a modified Rylo handle. I did make the brass nut and the spring plate and added a bakelite Hubbell, but I never added the popsicle stick details. They were already there.

Still progressing slowly, I've just fallen off on updates. The P1 is done except for the crispy, I'm leaving it off till last, The P2 needs to be repainted, and I'm still working on the emitter slide and ten turn. Here's where it's at right now.
P1030965_zpsvvzrujmq.jpg

P1030969_zpsq6mvf9zy.jpg

P1030968_zpskwgyqfjn.jpg

P1030974_zpsguiew76x.jpg

Thanks, but the color is too dark, it's just washed out in the pics. It looked good in the jar but darkened as it dried.

That's very nice styrene work. Do you cut the patterns by laser or by hand? I'm thinking about getting a laser set-up since the prices have dropped so low.

That's very nice styrene work. Do you cut the patterns by laser or by hand? I'm thinking about getting a laser set-up since the prices have dropped so low.

No, all hand work. The fanciest tool I have is a bandsaw.

Oh yeah. It IS time for an update. Any news?

I have been neglecting updates. I struggled quite a bit with the emitter extender in the P2, something is out of scale because I had to make it too long just to get it to work.

P1040081_zpsslsy4qut.jpg

P1040087_zpsyhfxntd8.jpg

I'll have the repainting done in a few days, then it's just a few more small things and it'll be done.

Doing the last few bits before repaint. The trigger mount is glued in
P1040091_zpspprmgwpu.jpg

Then a retainer for the sight window has to be made. The window is thin acrylic sheet, I brushed it with some mold release then clamped it in place. Then I applied epoxy around the edge. When this set up I was able to slide the window out, leaving a groove for it to slip back into.
P1040114_zpschouhkaj.jpg

A little clean up with the Dremel.
P1040117_zps9twjcefn.jpg

And the widow sits in nice and snug.
P1040118_zps7mmo1az0.jpg

Then I sanded down the old paint to prepare for a new coat.
P1040119_zpsautg2oog.jpg

But I've had so much trouble with these oil based Rustoleum paints that I went looking for an alternative. I stumbled upon an auto paint supplier in Manassas that was willing to work with me. They custom mixed some 2 part acrylic polyurethane car paint to match my color chip, and even gave me my first half pint as a free sample.
They matched Krylon Shadow Gray for the P2 just fine. But the first pass at the P1 color didn't work out, it had a brown tint when it should be a colorless gray. So I lost a few days while I went back for a new batch which came out great.

Before paint I had to do some masking. I masked most of the interior surfaces, as well as anything protruding through the shells, and blocked up any openings.
P1040123_zpsiozl9yox.jpg

P1040125_zpsh7wznkej.jpg

This is especially tricky on the P1, with the clear sight and metal rails.
P1040121_zpstaltd5pq.jpg

I masked the rails and carefully burnished the tape down. The green Frog tape takes to the compound curves pretty well.
P1040120_zpsv8x4mioc.jpg

Then I cut along the rail edge and removed the excess tape.
P1040122_zpsroulsled.jpg

I sprayed all the parts with some adhesion promoter, then gave them a light mist coat of primer. They were a little patchy from the sanding so I wanted to give them an even surface coat before paint.

The green tape showing through gives an idea how thin this primer coat is.
P1040127_zps3smkfjjk.jpg

I just finished the paint a while ago, I'll have more pics tomorrow.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back