Here comes another Grail Diary

It's still not clear to me how many props were made for the film. Any of them, or indeed all of them, might have ended up on screen at one time or another. That's the thing, unless there's some distinctive marks or something for us to tell the various original props apart it can't be known which were onscreen and which weren't. The prop department would be negligent if they didn't have 3 or 4 identical props to hand at all times during filming. Accidents happen, props get damaged or lost.

You indicate that one prop in particular is recognised as the Hero prop. Do you know how that came to be? Is there provenance linking it to a particular scene?

Yes, a number of the diaries made it on screen. Various B-props were used in some close-up scenes, like the Hitler signature scene and the Leap from the Lion's Head scene too. However, the page order of the hero prop matches what was flipped through in key scenes in the movie like when Indy gets it in the mail and in the library scene. Distressing and weathering marks on certain pages also match. You can also see some of those pages in the Archives book.

I don't know how many props were made for certain. More than 10, likely a dozen or more. Others (including test books) that weren't used in production were made too.

How does Marc's version rate amongst these other versions?

In a way, I'm kinda ok with having to do this extra research and time while making this diary.

After all, I said it before that I feel Indiana Jones is more intellectual anyway.

How does Marc's version rate amongst these other versions?

Marc's version was the first try to make a "story diary" - a diary which is not 100% screen acurate but tells the story like a real diary. Additional you can find "tool diaries". Tool diaries are not 100% screen acurate but are showing crude notes without a story.

In filming a "hero prop" is build for close up filming. A "B prop" is build mostley for stunt shots.

Last edited:
Can someone post the picture of the venice map. Even if its blurry so I can go through my drawings and match it up please.

Thanks

Is this the one that you are looking for?

Venice.jpg

In the details, it only says venice map. There are some texts supposedly on the venice map starting with,

Greek and Roman's

Followed by according to Mabinogion

Thank you for looking, I do appreciate it

Your pages look like they are in the order established by Marc.

You only need to compare this PDF (follow my link) with your own document to bring the pages in the right order.
Thank you, I do have that downloaded and I have been using it . Is there a link that shows the drawings he refers to . Please. I'm stuck and can't find what I'm looking

1st step: read everything from Zen Seeker.

I did, twice but drawings aren't all labeled or I should say, have different labels on them. Any drawing with text doesn't have anything to match up with the 1 drawing, I can't find. I have found everything else so far, just not this one.

Marc's version. Page 17/128
Venice map
Text starts with Greeks or Roman's.

I have passed over this for now and have kept logging and drawing.

I do understand research and studies are half the battle with this grail , atleast doing it this way vrs,, printing and putting it together. So please dont think I'm looking for someone else to do my work. I've been looking for over a week for that 1 page. Finally asked for help

Also,, any link that goes to Indy gear stops me. I registered but can't get on. From the facebook groups I've joined, I've heard this is an ongoing issue with that site.

Last edited:
I'm using the prints I got from the kit along with Marc's text guide for my diary.

It's taking more time, but well worth it. I have to read Marc's text and dig through my prints and get the proper order. You may notice some numbers or notes on my print outs. Next to the prints is the pile of 3 out of ten signature blocks. Much easier to write with them not sewn together yet. After finishing text and drawings, I will weather and assemble.
20200903_195054.jpg
20200903_195109.jpg

Last edited:
This are two different things mixed:

1st: "Venice Map" is not a picture but any real map you like as an additional insert
2nd: "Greeks or Roman's" is a invented text written to the picture from the computer game diary page 25
Well that certainly explains why I can't find it. Thank you for telling me. Seriously, I was still searching everywhere for it. I will look for something I like and draw it to keep the consistency

I had some discussions with Marc. At the moment I am working at version 2.0 of the story diary. I hope, everything will a be a little bit more easy to read in this new version. :)

I had some discussions with Marc. At the moment I am working at version 2.0 of the story diary. I hope, everything will a be a little bit more easy to read in this new version. :)
Marc's version reading and layouts are fine. The issues are drawings and inserts being mixed together. I am a believer in simple. If it were me I would label the drawings and use the same label written on The page it belongs. Inserts can be a side note in parentheses on the bottom of the page.

I'm not complaining when I make this comment and please dont find it as an insult. Are the ones that spent the countless hours making this diary the same that shared the information and guides ,or did others piece it together and share.

I am learning WHAT to look for , so that's half of it. From what I'm finding out with my research is, unless you make a print out diary, you have to put the work in just like everyone else that came before me. I can't find consistency and its beginning to take its toll.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back