Here comes another Grail Diary

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I did my research, found the inserts, printed my pages and began trying to put order to the book. I bought the kit from a seller on Etsy but there are no instructions. I got the typical it's so easy, just do this response from the seller. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

The good side of it is, I decided not to use the print outs, but to hand write the book. Going off my experience with the Abner Diary, I decided to follow parts of the build a little different. It's much easier to write in pages out of the book rather than in them. I'm a lefty so I always struggle on the right hand side of any book while writing. I had a ball with the Abner diary hand written, and completed, so I want the same feel doing this.

So, I researched a little on making books by hand and checked out the Grail Diary on instructables.com .

I decided to cut out my pages and then I decided to make them oversized, so when I fold them over, they can be trimmed to fit.

I used a paper cutter to do this cutting 6 sheets at a time. If you are serious about paper props, you may want to invest in some paper tools. Hobby lobby has the 40 percent of coupon all the time.. I use it every time.

I made 10 mini books and pressed them together. This way, I can now begin to start hand writing my Diary one page at a time.

20200815_190242.jpg
20200815_190415.jpg

I need to find out what the first page is.

The kit was labeled as signature 1 through 10. First pic is the first page of signature 1 , second is the last page of signature 1. Is this the first page of the book. ???
20200815_193202.jpg
20200815_193208.jpg

Last edited:
The signatures are each separate bundle of pages you fold over. Once you sew all of your signatures together you'll have a text block.

So let's say you're doing six sheets per signature. Six sheets folded in half makes 12 pages or 24 front and back. The outermost sheet of paper will have pages 1 and 24 on one side, 2 and 23 on the other, so when it's folded it would be 1, 2, 23, 24. The next page in would be pages 3, 4, 21, and 22, and so on.

I would interpret signature 1 page 1 in the kit to mean that is the outside of the outermost page of your first signature, so pages 1 and 24. Does that make sense and/or help?

Last edited:
The signatures are each separate bundle of pages you fold over. Once you sew all of your signatures together you'll have a text block.

So let's say you're doing six sheets per signature. Six sheets folded in half makes 12 pages or 24 front and back. The outermost sheet of paper will have pages 1 and 24 on one side, 2 and 23 on the other, so when it's folded it would be 1, 2, 23, 24. The next page in would be pages 3, 4, 21, and 22, and so on.

I would interpret signature 1 page 1 in the kit to mean that is the outside of the outermost page of your first signature, so pages 1 and 24. Does that make sense and/or help?
That would help if the pages were numbed, however they are not. If I use the first picture I posted above and fold the group over it shows the second picture as my first page. Is that correct.

Again I do understand the number system, but there's no numbers for me to use so giving me number orders will not help me

That would help if the pages were numbed, however they are not. If I use the first picture I posted above and fold the group over it shows the second picture as my first page. Is that correct.

Again I do understand the number system, but there's no numbers for me to use so giving me number orders will not help me

So if the first page you posted is signature 1 page 1, you would copy that exactly as it is onto your sheet. When you fold it, the left (blank) side will become the front of the signature, or page 1, and the right (guy on the horse) will be the back of the signature, or page 24. Signature 1 page 2 from your files would then be copied on the back of the sheet above with the left side on the back of the blank side, so it becomes page 2, and the right side on the back of the guy on the horse, so that would become page 23. You would fold the page so that signature 1 page 1 is on the outside.

This would be the bottom of your stack before you fold with the sheet that has pages 1 and 24 face down.

Just work through them like that. The second picture you posted, which is the last page of the signature, would be on the top of your stack before you fold, so it would end up somewhere in the middle once folded (also, fold the signature together, don't fold each page separately and then assemble it into a signature).

I am beginning to trace and copy however I hit a snag.

I couldn't read the writing so I had to find a legible source. When I found it, I realized the pages from the kit are out of order. At least signature 1 is. Zen shows 15 signatures but they are 20 pages , not 24. My set has 10 signatures at 24 pages.

I'm really not sure now.. this is going to take some time to put together. Im hand writing it all so as long as I can get the correct order, I dont really care about the out of order pages from the kit because I can correct that part

Last edited:
Ok, this thing is really out of whack and pages are out of order.

Who is correct.

The printed kits or the 4 or 5 websites that all have the same text order for us to hand write ourselves.

My main issue is matching up the hand drawn pictures because they're not labeled.

Some places say the book starts with the grail is flooded.

Others start with , (and this makes the most sense) new haven April 3 1898

I can't find answers and no one seems to know so I'm just going to follow the text that makes the most sense and try to find picture order.

If anyone knows where to find the names or labels of the hand drawn pictures, I would appreciate it.

Also please understand, I'm not looking to get something for free as I already paid for the kit. I have everything I need , but its completely out of order.

The hero diary starts with “The grail is flooded...”

Most story diaries are derivative of the VG diary, which starts with the 1898 entry.

What drawings are you unsure of their naming?

The hero diary starts with “The grail is flooded...”

Most story diaries are derivative of the VG diary, which starts with the 1898 entry.

What drawings are you unsure of their naming?
That's what I started with. The 1898 script made the most sense. Besides, I'm from New Haven Connecticut, so what better way is there, lol.

As far as drawn pictures, I think I figured it out. I've been using Zen and a few others to help piece this together.

Its certainly more work, however, it will be more gratifying for me once its finished.

Do people know how many diary props were made for the film, and if they're all the same?

I've read about numerous blank pages and duplicate pages. I wonder if that information is based on the examination of a single prop or multiple props, and if everyone's replica Hero diaries are based on the same prop, or if multiple props have had all their pages scanned.

Do people know how many diary props were made for the film, and if they're all the same?

I've read about numerous blank pages and duplicate pages. I wonder if that information is based on the examination of a single prop or multiple props, and if everyone's replica Hero diaries are based on the same prop, or if multiple props have had all their pages scanned.
That's what I meant by saying I'm having a hard time putting order to mine. I guess in the end, it will only matter to those being overly critical but being a movie prop, it will be hard to give a fully definitive answer, seeing how this is a book full of pages that aren't accessible. Normal props like guns or idols are so much easier to make . Lol.

All of the production props are just repeated pages throughout the books. There's no storyline about Henry or anything else whatsoever at all, all of that has just been derived from the computer game story diary and various invented ideas over the years.

Most of the replica hero diaries are based on the prop that's considered the recognized hero diary. It has a repeated page order that was originally determined by screenshots and such and later confirmed by people who have seen and held it in hand. Sometimes people throw in the b-prop pages or rework the pages so they're in the order of the diary that was held by the Prop Store a while back.

The b-props are mostly randomly thrown together pages with some added in pages for close-ups, just like the hero. They also have fewer pages total than the hero. A number of those have made it into private hands and have shared photos and allowed others to examine them.

All of the production props are just repeated pages throughout the books...

Most of the replica hero diaries are based on the prop that's considered the recognized hero diary. It has a repeated page order that was originally determined by screenshots and such and later confirmed by people who have seen and held it in hand.

Sometimes people throw in the b-prop pages or rework the pages so they're in the order of the diary that was held by the Prop Store a while back.

The b-props are mostly randomly thrown together pages with some added in pages for close-ups, just like the hero. They also have fewer pages total than the hero. A number of those have made it into private hands and have shared photos and allowed others to examine them.

Thanks for the info!

It's still not clear to me how many props were made for the film. Any of them, or indeed all of them, might have ended up on screen at one time or another. That's the thing, unless there's some distinctive marks or something for us to tell the various original props apart it can't be known which were onscreen and which weren't. The prop department would be negligent if they didn't have 3 or 4 identical props to hand at all times during filming. Accidents happen, props get damaged or lost.

You indicate that one prop in particular is recognised as the Hero prop. Do you know how that came to be? Is there provenance linking it to a particular scene?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back