Help with finding DOOM Guy armor pepakura.

Marluxia

Hello,

My next cosplay idea is of DOOM Guy, from the original DOOM games.

Image here: http://dudelol.com/oldimgs/high-resolution-doom-cover-art.jpg

I was wondering if there were any Pepakura files for this out, or if there was anything similar I could work with? I tried the 405th, but to no prevail (I only found DOOM 3 stuff), so I am checking here.

I was thinking of just taking football shoulder pads and spray painting them, but they are too expensive.

Thanks!

I made files a long time ago, but the link has since been removed and I don't have the files on my computer anymore. Getting the 3D Model again should'nt be a problem though.

I looked into doing this armor years ago - I did a couple of prototypes using bmx armor.

You might look into doing it with EVA foam, the design lends itself well to that medium.

I was thinking along the line of Football shoulder pads... until I saw the price, I can imagine the same, if not more, with BMX pads.

I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this. That is why I opted for Pepakura....

I have picked up several sets of football pads off an auction site for $15-$30 for Road Warrior project I was working on.

Part of the difficulty in recreating the original Doom armor is the lack of good source material. The game graphics just are not high res enough to work with.

Here is an updated one I found, looks pretty close to the original -

doom_armor.jpg

I still think EVA foam is your best bet, Even if you could find a pep file, the armor would not fit well as rigid armor, and lots of mods will be needed so that you could move your arms, and get some flexibility in the midsection.

Check out the EVA Foam mass effect armor that RPF member EvilFX has done :

b9cdc0281747e4d774bb9258bb24f080-d2yb48w.jpg

(The full thread is here : http://www.therpf.com/f24/mass-effect-2-n7-armor-builds-89795/ )

if you are just making a one-off set of armor, this would be the way to go I would think.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I can actually make that mobile. This isn't my first armor project. I was planning attaching the sleeve parts to the chest plate by use of elastic strips. I was thinking 4, one on top of shoulder, one in the armpit area and one on the front and back.

I, however, never worked with EVA foam. I did a quick search and skimmed through a few things, I have to things to ask:

1- Is there a retail place where I can buy in person? Home Depot had this: Foam Flooring from Best Step | The Home Depot - Model BS100-4HDT but not sure if this what you mean.

2- Would Hot Glue work with this stuff? If not, what adhesive would I need?

yep, that's the stuff - if you search the web you can find different thicknesses and colors too.

Contact cement seems to work the best, hot melt glue is good for temporary fitting, but proabably won't hold, and may melt the foam.

The exercise mats don't specify what they're made out of, but if they are EVA, they should be fine. (EVA is a denser foam, and forms and sands nicely) at any rate they are probably too thick.

You will need to seal the foam before painting, most builders are using "plasti-dip" spray to seal it, but a watered down solution of elmer's glue can work also. After you seal it, you can use just about any spray paint.

As with any project, it's always best to test the glue, sealant & paint on scrap material, just to make sure the materials you have slelected will work together.

PepMaster: Thanks!

Iceman: Thanks once more. Is there a way to keep the curves of the armor in form? Or are just going to be in form once worn? I understand the gauntlets and other cylindrical pieces keeping form, but I'm kinda worried about the breastplate becoming flat once taken off...

There are a couple of ways to do that, one is to cut small wedges ("darts" in the garment industry) out of the piece to be curved, and glue it together. The other way is to heat the foam and form it by hand, using a heat gun, but be careful not to get it too hot.

CHeck the other EVA foam costume builds in this forum,, particularly the Ironman suits, most builders have posted pictures of both these methods.

Ah, yes, scoring. At least, that is the term used for curving foamboard in the same fashion. Same idea though. I think I'm set then.

Thanks!

Don;t forget to post some pics here, I'd like to see how it turns out - I've been tempted to do a new version of mine, since I have long since cannibalized the armor and helmet for other costumes.

Speaking of helmets, I did find a file someone did of the UAC marine helmet, though it's pretty rough -

Doom Marine Helmet Papercraft

Depending on your budget, helmets used for Kyaking have a similar base shape, and aren't too expensive - (Especially if you can find one used )

I shall!!!

Awwww... dammit, lol. I went already bought a paintball helmet to use as a base. Oh well. Lets see what I could do with what I have first.

A paintball helmet should do fine, the marine helmet is very wide around the base, so you'll have to modify whatever you start with.

So, I decided to make this a low budget costume (moving in a few months) and returning to my Cardboard and Hotglue method. Like how I used to make this: My Colonial Marine Armor from Aliens

So far here is my WIP of DOOM Guy's helmet:

wip_doom_guy_helmet_by_cosmicangelsephiroth-d4m32g1.jpg

Link: WIP DOOM Guy helmet by ~CosmicAngelSephiroth on deviantART

Almost finished assembling the helmet. I'm going to keep a lot of the holes as holes, so I can actually breathe and not get a heat injury (which happens to me). Then going to spray paint it.

I've heard of a weathering process called "Black Washing". Does anyone know how this done? Depends on its done, I might do that with this armor set as test, before moving onto more armor projects.

UPDATE: I know it may not look too well in the photo (camera is dead and have to use my phone), in which I'm sorry. The spray enamel is curing now and its looking pretty good.... I'll post a better pic tomorrow, after it finishes curing.

Just for the record, if you're going to use foam, hot glue is the adhesive of choice for builders. It holds the foam incredibly well, probably due to the fact that it does indeed melt the foam it comes in contact with, which allows the two pieces you're gluing to meld together. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Edit: and leave it to me to not read your last comment. However, if you DO ever plan on using foam, now you know :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back