Help with EVA foam and glue

because it is rubberised rocker guard. basically the same ingredients as plastidip, just more flammable

because it is rubberised rocker guard. basically the same ingredients as plastidip, just more flammable

weird.

I tried this a while back and didn't work out so well...
it just cracked really badly.

I'll try it again.

This can be a great alternative as it's easier to find than plastidip
I'll just have to test it again.

i just went out and got some sealer. im about to go out and try it now if you want to wait for my next post.

since you have done this before. what is the best glue to attach edges together?
i was thinking epoxy. super 77 doesnt work worth a...

since you have done this before. what is the best glue to attach edges together?
i was thinking epoxy. super 77 doesnt work worth a...

most of us are using hot glue. Works fine so far. I just cover the edges on the interior so it doesn't come apart. Stronger hold.

doesnt matter anymore. i just dropped 1/2 my suit on the ground after painting it!
not its covered in dirt, sand, rocks and leaves.
i give up! i dont have a descent place to work out of. cant get anything done properly.
so i quit!

doesnt matter anymore. i just dropped 1/2 my suit on the ground after painting it!
not its covered in dirt, sand, rocks and leaves.
i give up! i dont have a descent place to work out of. cant get anything done properly.
so i quit!

You know i've seen some of your work and i must say, thats not the result of a quitter. Your Guyver is amazing and i am sure certain that you have hit some road blocks along the way with that. Just think how good you'll feel once you do complete the build. I'm just saying that if you want it, then why should'nt you have it. Good luck man...GM

I have heard many a people say that you need to use "high temperature" hot glue on EVA foam armor, else the hot glue will melt after a time and you're left with a ruined mess.

Is that true, or does it really just depend on where you wear it? I've got a ton of standard craft hot glue (the kind that you can buy pretty much anywhere) and I can't imagine it getting hot enough to melt.

Am I misunderstanding what I've heard?

Unless you're wearing your costume in Death Valley, I wouldn't worry about the glue melting while you're wearing it. Most people who say their costumes melted did something stupid like leave it in the car in direct sunlight for several hours. Don't do that.

Unless you're wearing your costume in Death Valley, I wouldn't worry about the glue melting while you're wearing it. Most people who say their costumes melted did something stupid like leave it in the car in direct sunlight for several hours. Don't do that.

That's kind of what I'd figured. I'm from San Diego, which can get pretty hot during the summer, but I think common hot glue is meant to melt at 170 degrees and that seems like a bit of a stretch unless (as you said exactly) it's left in car or direct sunlight.

Thanks for your input! That puts my mind at ease quite a bit. I wasn't looking forward to buying a new glue gun and stocking up on a whole different kind of glue!!

While that is true I would like to add one addition to the hi temp glue. In my humble opinion, it bonds stronger. With High temp your more likely to rip the foam than you are the joint. I've done 2 builds, one in regular and 1 in high temp. With the low temp the joints, or the anchor points kept popping like clockwork.

Doesn't happen but rarely with the high temp hot glue from what I'm noticing. There both the same price, so if you can, go for that.

Hello,
I am new to this whole thing. Ill be trying my first project soon. I have a question. I would like to use foam but want the end result to be hard and rigid, almost helmet like. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back