Help with a SD Gundam type Mecha cosplay

Stardust Toast

Hey y’all, so I am creating a this Mecha cosplay called Super Pipimi it was made for a Super Robot wars game as a collab with PopTeamEpic.
0A67ABBD-8D1A-47BC-A2EC-5BDAA9BDA701.jpeg
And I’ve been struggling a bit with it since SD Gundam type mecha, and I’ve been mostly figuring out things with the tutorials I’ve seen from people making normal Gundam/Mecha cosplays, yet I’m a bit stumped with the head.

Last edited:
Just my two cents, but I would build the entire cosplay out of EVA foam (including the head). That will keep it light, fairly damage resistant, and be affordable.

The biggest issue with the head that I see is vision, but that's also pretty easy to work around. The wearer's line of sight can be placed right behind the large eyes of the face, and those eye areas can be cut out and replaced with perforated screen/ cross stitch plastic/any sturdy mesh material. Once the mesh is installed, you can paint on the eye details right onto the mesh surface. Combined with the head's interior painted black, you'll be able to see out quite well without anyone seeing in.

bc8c25ca55bd342ad3133f060e282868.jpg

Just my two cents, but I would build the entire cosplay out of EVA foam (including the head). That will keep it light, fairly damage resistant, and be affordable.

The biggest issue with the head that I see is vision, but that's also pretty easy to work around. The wearer's line of sight can be placed right behind the large eyes of the face, and those eye areas can be cut out and replaced with perforated screen/ cross stitch plastic/any sturdy mesh material. Once the mesh is installed, you can paint on the eye details right onto the mesh surface. Combined with the head's interior painted black, you'll be able to see out quite well without anyone seeing in.

View attachment 1609248
I should give a bit of an update, I did start to make the head out of cardboard starting with the bottom area just so I would have a better reference before I start working on EVA foam.
E4FC68F9-BA66-4920-AF8E-BD61FC2A2FDA.jpeg
?hash=5d3ae0a4294af355f4f7fece42104453.jpg

And I did make it where my line of sight matches up where the eyes will end up being and its perfect, I am still working on on the top part. As for the eyes, I am going to use some LED lights, so I’m sure that’ll affect it a little, but I truly appreciate the help, this is really useful, thank you.

Attachments

• B7076FB1-73C1-47A9-990C-C2441BFBACAD.jpeg
    B7076FB1-73C1-47A9-990C-C2441BFBACAD.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 72
I would recommend you take a pic of yourself next to a ruler and then put that cropped pic in the outline of the costume. That way you can make perfect scale version.

If your computer and tv have HDMI, then you can put the image on tv, and get perfect scale.

If your knees and elbows aren't near the suits, you will spend lotsa time redoing pieces to proper scale.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back