HELP: Vader Breathing on your costume

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
I am wondering how people incorporate the breathing into their Darth Vader costumes. Right now all I have is the Rubies box but I want to upgrade and need some help with what exactly I need to do.

Any and all help appreciated via posting on this thread or by PM. Thanks.

Chris.

Originally posted by KevVader@Nov 22 2005, 07:14 PM
Hyperdyne Labs Vortex amp......pricey, but a nice unit.
[snapback]1120927[/snapback]​

Our local Vader here uses an audio CD filled with a 3+ minute long track of Vader's breathing... he wears a portable CD player with a personal amplifier from Radio shack, and puts the player on repeat. Works pretty darn well... He hides the player and amp in pouches under his inner robe and cape. An MP3 player would work well too I'd bet.

Originally posted by darth_manu@Nov 22 2005, 11:02 PM
theres someone selling a CD with breathing + a lot of movie quotes
on you know where
[snapback]1121003[/snapback]​

If you are going to go the MP3 player/CD player route, where would you put the speakers on the costume? Any particular brand of speakers work best?

Originally posted by darth_manu@Nov 22 2005, 10:54 PM
i use a portable speaker, that are really small and fits inside a vader helmet.
they are not computer speakers
[snapback]1121021[/snapback]​

Manu,

Any pics of your setup? Or what speaker do you use? (make/model)

I'm using a Newton amp with a MP3 player on a 5 hr. loop.. Speaker fits in pocket on the back of my inner robe. I have a Vortex but can't figure out for the life of me where to put the mic (fan noise) and also reduce or eliminate feedback :( . BTW I'm using the R.S. headset mic so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.. :D

DC

Originally posted by darth_manu@Nov 22 2005, 11:54 PM
i use a portable speaker, that are really small and fits inside a vader helmet.
they are not computer speakers
[snapback]1121021[/snapback]​

The problem with having the speakers inside the helmet is that they would affect your hearing. I had my Rubies breather mounted inside my helmet (on the top mouth grill) and when I turned it on I could hardly hear myself think.

If you are using an MP3 player that would mean you'd have to run a wire up through the back of your helmet to the speakers correct?

DC, what kind of feedback are you getting? You might want to move the fan away from the mic more. Are you using the omnidirectional mic or a directional one? A directional mic will help out with the noise issue, especially if the fan is in front of the mic.

Just out of interest, i am using the rubies box as well and although it just passes it is not deep enough to sound like vader, so i have a couple of questions.
If i get vader breathing on CD, then get a portable CD player, i assume i have to buy a mini speaker to fit in the helmet then have the breathing on a loop then have the CD palyer on my belt somewhere? Any one any idea how long batteries last?

Also, is there anything other than hyperdyne (and that crappy hasbro) that can make my voice sound electrical (i actually do a good impression of vader but i just need that slight electrical sound to make it sound that bit better). I did buy a voice changer (cheap) which just amplified my voice but it feedsback too much
Also, Hyperdyne, with your setup, can the speaker for the vader voice go in the helmet or does it have to go on the belt in a pouch somewhere?
Thanks

Jim's (Hyperdyne) board does an awesome job with the voice effect. Just use proper inflection - a lot of people don't and think it's the board's fault.

I've found I can do it too, but Jim's board amps it so well it give you the real feel. And yes, you can mount the speaker anywhere (as long as you don't get feedback from the mike).

Originally posted by rigormortis@Nov 23 2005, 06:56 PM
Jim's (Hyperdyne) board does an awesome job with the voice effect.  Just use proper inflection - a lot of people don't and think it's the board's fault. 

I've found I can do it too, but Jim's board amps it so well it give you the real feel.  And yes, you can mount the speaker anywhere (as long as you don't get feedback from the mike).
[snapback]1121450[/snapback]​
Yep its a good bit of kit, the cylon voice sounds sweet, however, just alittle beyond my range at the moment, but in future perhaps

I hear you there. But it's worth saving for - I did in the end.

The Discovery Channel store has a budget voice changer for $16 but the amp is atrocious. But may be worth a look. They may let you try it at the store.

I need a voice.

How does the Hyperdyne sound? Anyone have a clip of it?

I use an iPod shuffle with Radioshack amp. Works fantastic...have a perfect breathing cycle...clip amp on rear part of belt...can't see it but can hear it...

:cheers,

T

I used a cheap mp3 player with repeat and folding speakers from radio shack.

It did the trick for some time.

But, now I have a great movie clip setup from hyperdyne, that kicks :D

I wear the portable cd player And a 70min cd on repeat...The white Radio Shack amp velcroed to a hand made cd pouch that goes on the back of my belt under the cape...
Makes the sound kind of bounce around under the capes and you really cant tell where its coming from,or so I have been told.
I painted the amp black just so its harder to see on a windy day.
It has worked for several 6hour events on the batteries ...
I just put fresh batteries in before every event.

Originally posted by dadvader@Nov 25 2005, 11:45 PM
I wear the portable cd player And a 70min cd on repeat...The white Radio Shack amp velcroed to a hand made cd pouch that goes on the back of my belt under the cape...
Makes the sound kind of bounce around under the capes and you really cant tell where its coming from,or so I have been told.
I painted the amp black just so its harder to see on a windy day.
It has worked for several 6hour events on the batteries ...
I just put fresh batteries in before every event.
[snapback]1122688[/snapback]​

Thanks for the help everyone. I feel confident that I will be able to make a better setup now.

I use 2 radio shack amps and a cheap 128mb mp3 player I got at walmart. I made my own track using high quality breathing and I interspersed JEJ quotes every couple of minutes or so. It works really well, and really freaks people out when Vader talks to them.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back