HELP: Vader Breathing on your costume

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Kahnt, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I am wondering how people incorporate the breathing into their Darth Vader costumes. Right now all I have is the Rubies box but I want to upgrade and need some help with what exactly I need to do.

Any and all help appreciated via posting on this thread or by PM. Thanks.

Chris.

2. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Hyperdyne Labs Vortex amp......pricey, but a nice unit.

3. jedi5150

jedi5150 Well-Known Member

Our local Vader here uses an audio CD filled with a 3+ minute long track of Vader's breathing... he wears a portable CD player with a personal amplifier from Radio shack, and puts the player on repeat. Works pretty darn well... He hides the player and amp in pouches under his inner robe and cape. An MP3 player would work well too I'd bet.

4. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

theres someone selling a CD with breathing + a lot of movie quotes
    on you know where

5. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

If you are going to go the MP3 player/CD player route, where would you put the speakers on the costume? Any particular brand of speakers work best?

6. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

i use a portable speaker, that are really small and fits inside a vader helmet.
    they are not computer speakers

7. Darth Clayton

Darth Clayton Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Manu,

Any pics of your setup? Or what speaker do you use? (make/model)

I'm using a Newton amp with a MP3 player on a 5 hr. loop.. Speaker fits in pocket on the back of my inner robe. I have a Vortex but can't figure out for the life of me where to put the mic (fan noise) and also reduce or eliminate feedback :( . BTW I'm using the R.S. headset mic so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.. :D

DC

8. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

The problem with having the speakers inside the helmet is that they would affect your hearing. I had my Rubies breather mounted inside my helmet (on the top mouth grill) and when I turned it on I could hardly hear myself think.

If you are using an MP3 player that would mean you'd have to run a wire up through the back of your helmet to the speakers correct?

9. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

iPod with a sample played on repeat with portable speakers. Works great.

10. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

DC, what kind of feedback are you getting? You might want to move the fan away from the mic more. Are you using the omnidirectional mic or a directional one? A directional mic will help out with the noise issue, especially if the fan is in front of the mic.

11. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, i am using the rubies box as well and although it just passes it is not deep enough to sound like vader, so i have a couple of questions.
    If i get vader breathing on CD, then get a portable CD player, i assume i have to buy a mini speaker to fit in the helmet then have the breathing on a loop then have the CD palyer on my belt somewhere? Any one any idea how long batteries last?

Also, is there anything other than hyperdyne (and that crappy hasbro) that can make my voice sound electrical (i actually do a good impression of vader but i just need that slight electrical sound to make it sound that bit better). I did buy a voice changer (cheap) which just amplified my voice but it feedsback too much
    Also, Hyperdyne, with your setup, can the speaker for the vader voice go in the helmet or does it have to go on the belt in a pouch somewhere?
    Thanks

12. rigormortis

Jim's (Hyperdyne) board does an awesome job with the voice effect. Just use proper inflection - a lot of people don't and think it's the board's fault.

I've found I can do it too, but Jim's board amps it so well it give you the real feel. And yes, you can mount the speaker anywhere (as long as you don't get feedback from the mike).

13. Darth Domain

Yep its a good bit of kit, the cylon voice sounds sweet, however, just alittle beyond my range at the moment, but in future perhaps

14. rigormortis

I hear you there. But it's worth saving for - I did in the end.

The Discovery Channel store has a budget voice changer for $16 but the amp is atrocious. But may be worth a look. They may let you try it at the store.

15. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I need a voice.

How does the Hyperdyne sound? Anyone have a clip of it?

I use an iPod shuffle with Radioshack amp. Works fantastic...have a perfect breathing cycle...clip amp on rear part of belt...can't see it but can hear it...

:cheers,

T

16. Darth Larsen

Darth Larsen New Member

I used a cheap mp3 player with repeat and folding speakers from radio shack.

It did the trick for some time.

But, now I have a great movie clip setup from hyperdyne, that kicks :D

17. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

So how do you run the wire for the MP3 player? Run it up the back of the suit into the helmet that way?

18. dadvader

dadvader New Member

I wear the portable cd player And a 70min cd on repeat...The white Radio Shack amp velcroed to a hand made cd pouch that goes on the back of my belt under the cape...
    Makes the sound kind of bounce around under the capes and you really cant tell where its coming from,or so I have been told.
    I painted the amp black just so its harder to see on a windy day.
    It has worked for several 6hour events on the batteries ...
    I just put fresh batteries in before every event.

19. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I feel confident that I will be able to make a better setup now.

20. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I use 2 radio shack amps and a cheap 128mb mp3 player I got at walmart. I made my own track using high quality breathing and I interspersed JEJ quotes every couple of minutes or so. It works really well, and really freaks people out when Vader talks to them.

21. wackychimp

wackychimp Well-Known Member

I have a 32MB MP3 player ($16 on eBay) hooked to a Radio Shack amp. The MP3 player is much smaller than a CD player and won't skip. I have just the one Vader breathing MP3 on there and the player can loop itself.

I put the speaker to the side of the chest box under the black body suit. Works great and doesn't get picked up by my helmet mic. :)

22. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Hyperdyne Labs Vortex amp, with the voice changer i heard the vader chip
    WORTH EVERY PENNY one of the few real time voice changers that work, i can't say enough good things about it and the people who work there.

23. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

Wish I could afford the Hyperdine model...someday, it will be mine.

In the mean time, I use a minidisk player connected to a Radio Shack amp. I put it under my inner robe. No one can see it, but it is fairly loud. I used to have the amp sitting on my belt behind me, but that made the breathing sound like it was coming out of my *. So the amp, just site inside, and the cord goes throgh my robe to the disk player. It works no problem..

Eli
    SL1922

24. darthraider

darthraider New Member

Anyone here tried Vader Voice Kit from Dick Smith Electronics? Any sample voice clip to share? FYI, I'm looking for an affordable real time voice changer to add to my Rubies helmet...

25. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

I'd never put speakers in the mask for starters.

For my two Radio Shack speakers:
    I have a small baggie that slips onto my front, rightside Chest pc strap and is concealed by my robe. I snake the cable to a pouch on my back that has my Palm T5 playing an .Mp3 looping of his breath.

I also have a baggie on the front, leftside Chest pc strap for the amp providing voice.
    Well, I happen to be one of those people who had the $400 Hyperdyne and couldn't get it to work. If I'd sit down with it, hold the powered mic juuuust right at my lips and "act", I would be pleased (sort of). Once I put the mask on....forget it. Nobody could understand me and it was more of a nuicense than good. Now, I'm in no way bashin Jim's work- as he is an awesome dude with cooler toys than I can even think of :thumbsup
    In my specific case, i sold my Vortex and just used the powered mic with the Radio Shack amp. I found if I "act" using just those two items, my voice was bass-ie enough and clear enough for people to understand me...but, people still have problems which I attribute to the amps. I am working on a new system as we speak for speakers and placement.

Ok- time for big geek moment, but for those who haven't watched any of the video at my website, here is a clip from my interview where the guy puts me on the spot to use my Hyperdyne voice changer- unmasked. In this clip, you get to see me look dwarfed by a dude taller than me....a big ole goofie grin on my face from being on the spot and acting poorly. Just can't act without that mask on :D

Right Click Save Target as

26. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Hey, no problems here. I know Vortex isnt for everyone.

That clip is cool. It sounded like you were getting some feedback from the amp. That strange added noise you start hearing is feedback being pitch shifted, which gives a weird phasing type effect.

BTW, I try to recommend the directional boom gooseneck mic from Radio Shack to use with Vader, model 33-3012. It really helps out with feedback issues, and you can even use them with any other voice amps. Plus they just went on clearance from Radio Shack, they are now only $30. That is a great price for this mic IMO...

27. Darth Domain

While we are on this subject, i got a couple of questions.
    Firstly, (this may sound strange). But when you have a mike in the helmet and speaker strapped to your belt etc. What happens if you are indeed being interviewed with a mike held at the mouth of your mask (by the interviewer. The sound will obviously come from you belt box so your normal voice is all that would be heard from "up top"?

Secondly, i actually do a good vader voice but am lacking the "electronic sound" to it. What mike and amp is suitable to do this i.e. not a voice changer as such, just the amp.
    Finally, Jim, is there any chance of a sound clip of your vader voice off your kit,
    cheers

28. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Junk. Pure and simple. It's the Hyperdyne or nothing as far as Im concerned.

29. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Yes if the external mic is held by your helmet you will get some of your normal voice and some of the transformed voice. But your normal voice is also quite muffled by the helmet itself so hopefully the transformed voice will always be louder.

I am not sure of any amp that will give you the required 'electronic' effect. At a minimum you would need something that could do a tunable reverb, and then you would need some feedback mitigation since a full bandwidth voice w/ reverb has a higher potential of creating more feedback problems - especially when you add the helmet since it increases a feedback cavity.

Shoot me and email and I can send you a sample voice effect.

30. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did the cheap ($30.00) MP3 player hooked to a speaker underneath the chest armor on loop.

I plan on putting the speaker in my new chest box. and having the sound come from there.

The voice is all in the helmet. Speaker mic and all. But It is my batural voice for now. Until I find the perfect Vader voice.

31. royal vader

royal vader Active Member

Any one have any experience using a throat mic under the helmet. I should reduce feedback and should be less clutter under the bucket.

Any thoughts?

Dave

32. Darth Phaeton

Darth Phaeton Well-Known Member

Hey chris
    The most effective way to do it is, a small MP3 player, not have to be expencive, and dont need alot of MB on it. Just copy a single breath section on it and it will auto loop it at the right inteval. A simple speaker system with a amp on it, and you are good to got. Place the while shebang on your belt in the back for great sound(will flow around your cape to the front)
    I've gone a bit further to record a 3 minute section on breath, and then a line from vader (breath,Give your sefl to the dark side, breath) and so on. You can have my recording if you like.

33. Huzz

Huzz Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

Re "HELP: Vader Breathing on your costume". Well, if that is happening, I guess you'll just have to put up with it. :D Sorry, that's bad I know.

I used this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

You can get them in Canada at The Source I think.

They actually sound decent, much much better than the stock Rubies thing. I connected them to a cheap MP3 player with Vader sayings and breathing. I have some that I think are pretty good and you're welcome to them.

If anyone has Adaptec or Roxxio cd/dvd burner software, there should be a merge track utility. Using that, you can merge copies of Vader breathing into one very long file. Or, you can have Vader say something, followed by as much breathing as you would like to add to the file. That's fairly realistic and allows you to find another comment on your MP3 player that might be suitable if you are trying to simulate Vader interacting with folks. I've done that with a number of Vader sayings, its quite cool. I have a particularly nice "Give yourself to the Darkside" that is loud, deep, clear, minimal background sound with no noise.

I initially attached my folding speakers right to the inside back of the dome with velcro. I left the speakers in their case because they have nice resonance and bass that way. It sounded great because Vader's voice and breathing sound came from where you would expect it to, and happily the speakers were not readily visible. But, they do add to the weight of the helmet right at the back. So I'm trying to think of a better way.

I think an Ipod with the screen would be the best MP3 player. I'd expect that with the screen, you could quickly select a suitable track and play it. Some cheap MP3 players should work fine for just breathing, but if you want to be able to quickly select different voice tracks "on the fly", you need something that's not cumbersome to use with a gloved hand. And the Ipod comes in black, so you could discretely place it on your forearm under the flange of your glove, for example where it could be readily acessed.

Dave

34. TMP

TMP Sr Member

I also strongly recomend Hyperdynelabs Vortex system. No other sytems plays the sound and voice so clearly as this system. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

35. Lan-Ed-Tul

Lan-Ed-Tul Well-Known Member

jims vortex unit is the absolute best there is for vader voice i have one, and its great.
    i use 2 waostband amps from AW2000, theyre 7 watt each and i use 2 of them. you can hear me without a problem.

i also used the headset mike from RS, but i cut off the head bnd part where it went into the oval shaped part the bomm come oit of. i hotglued that oval shaped part in the mask, and i can move the boom around to set it right in front og my mouth.

and the fan i have in there is in front of that, in the lower grill. wuth that mike and where u hang the speaker units, i dont get hardly any feedback issues, and the mike doesnt pick up the fan sound either.

36. Vandark

Vandark Sr Member

For anybody with the Rubies sound box, here's a quick fix.

Try wrapping a load of toilet paper (bog roll) around the speaker box, it makes for a less tinny sound with more bass.

37. Lan-Ed-Tul

or just toss it and get the hyperdyne, lol

38. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Some of us can't afford a hyperdyne.

39. SHalamar

SHalamar Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthgordon @ Mar 22 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]1446064[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think you can BUY a hyperdyne anymore...

40. Lan-Ed-Tul

i know, i had to really scrape the money up for mine. and yes also, his board supplier said they dont make that board anymore he was using, so hes tryin to find another board to use.

41. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

Here's my setup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. Huzz

Huzz Well-Known Member

Hi Darth Annibal, :)

May I ask where you got the speakers, the maker and model number? Do you find the speakers awkward mounted like that?

And those are nice looking belt boxes. :thumbsup May I ask where you get them?

Cheers,
    Huzz

43. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Huzz @ Mar 23 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1446453[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Huzz. You'll have to give me 'til tomorrow for the info on the speakers. I'll have a look at them in the morning. Because of the way they're angled, they actually stay out of my way. Thanks for the compliment on the belt boxes. I made them. :D

44. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I use one of these
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Newton-6-Watts-Waistba...1QQcmdZViewItem

I put it on with the amp in the back and the buckle on the front of my waist. Then I put my cod on over it. The cape hides the amp well and I can still sit down. I then strap my ipod on my belt out of sight. I can reach the volume for the amp with my right hand and the ipod with my left. I just loop a 4 second breathing clip. Everyone loved it. Now if old Hyperdyne comes through with new Vortex boards I'll be all set. :)

45. TMP

TMP Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthgordon @ Mar 23 2007, 04:47 AM) [snapback]1446064[/snapback]</div>
    If you can afford a vader, i am sure people can save up for a good system.

46. Lan-Ed-Tul

mines similar to the newton i got 2 7 watt ones from AW2000. models 6203 and 6202.

i like the idea of mounting to belt like that, i may see if these will mount uo like that, i want to use both amps together.

47. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

Hey Huzz, I can't find the model of those speakers for the life of me. They're 'COBY' brand speakers, and I got them at an independently owned Radio Shack store for (US)$24.99 about a year ago. PM me if closer pics would help, and I'll send you some.

48. MisserCraig

MisserCraig Well-Known Member

i use these Logitech Speakers. they are portable and rechargeable, which is nice with ipod speakers... most i've seen have to be plugged into a wall. and these are LOUD.
    I have a Vader breathing MP3 that i loop on my ipod. I put the whole setup, ipod and all, into a small travelers backback. i then tighten the straps as tight as they'll go and put it on my back. the straps get hidden by the shoulder armor. works like a charm, and the breathing sounds like it's coming from close to the face, not the belt.

49. desolate

desolate Sr Member

i am using a Ipod with a speaker attached. and i downloaded the breathing and i put it on a repeat...

50. Darth Movado

Darth Movado Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My suit contains two small PC speakers that are wired to a five battery case in the chestbox. There is a small amp in there to power them and it is hooked in to an MP3 player (I-Pod Shuffle, Nano, etc) to play a 90 minute loop of the breathing. I'm still working on getting the voice for the suit. Not sure how without forking out for the Hyperdyne, which I am not pleased with in person. The speakers are hidden under the inner robe on the torsoe. Very loud and completely invisible.

Movado