Help requested..confusion on a glue kit

Jimmer

A quick confession, 90 percent or more of the kits I've built have been Bandai Star Wars snap kits, so glue kits definitely aren't my "thing".

I collect Batmobiles and recently saw the AMT Batman Forever Batwing at a discount store for 12 dollars, so I figured I'd grab it even though it's far from my favorite design.

I was surprised at the size of the kit, and it looked like a straightforward build, but one thing confuses me.

The hull is 2 main pieces, and the manual gives the impression that one piece has 3 holes while the other hull piece has 3 matching pegs.

However, both pieces have 3 holes that do line up with one another.
(1st pic is showing how to glue hull. 2nd pic shows "pegs" more prominently...circled in yellow)

To you glue kit builders, do you recommend I simply glue the pieces as they are, or should I make 3 small pegs to help "pin" the parts together?

I guess what has me worried is the manual seeming to point out joining these 3 areas when all 6 points (3 on one part, 3 on other) are all "female".

And while I'm proving myself a dummie with this question, here is a second one.

I planned on using extra thin cement and clamping...is that enough or is there a better glue for this type kit?

Thanks in advance for any tips/info.
20230903_013521.jpg

20230903_021026.jpg

Attachments

• 20230903_021026.jpg
    20230903_021026.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
IMO, it's best to just cut those alignment pins off completely on older kits like the Batwing, as they usually don't align the parts all that well to begin with, and align it by hand as you glue it. Adding more alignment pins will probably not help. Tamiya Extra Thin is a great glue for plastic modeling, so yeah, it should be perfectly fine for assembly.

IMO, it's best to just cut those alignment pins off completely on older kits like the Batwing, as they usually don't align the parts all that well to begin with, and align it by hand as you glue it. Adding more alignment pins will probably not help. Tamiya Extra Thin is a great glue for plastic modeling, so yeah, it should be perfectly fine for assembly.

Thanks buddy.
Just test fitting I could tell it was gonna have some alignment issues (same as their 89 Batmobile), so I'm already prepared for inevitable gap filling.

Thanks for the help, it just threw me off when the manual showed pegs that in reality weren't there.

(This was an impulse but since it was so cheap, but the "AMT" should have been a warning..lol).

Thanks again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back