HELP: REAL or FAKE MPP???

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by OdiWan72, Sep 23, 2005.

1. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Well Markus that shouldnt be too hard....the real MPP will turn on and a bright red beam should emit from the shroud. It should cut through many materials. If it doesnt, I wouldnt but it. :D

Good luck btw.

3. OdiWan72

4. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

5. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Do you have any pics of the MPP?
    I would really need to see pics to tell. There are so many variants of MPPs it would be hard to pin point it's authenticity by verbal description.

One way to tell is by unscrewing the endcap and smelling the inside. No matter how good the condition it will still smell like it's 40-50 years old.

Look in the crevaces for dust or grime.

DS

6. OdiWan72

7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

I would need pics of the one you have to tell.

8. OdiWan72

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

That is in REALLY beat up shape. It could be worked with but it is no where near Better or Best condition.

(Honestly I dont know what "c-10" stands for. But my two MPPs are in almost mint condition.)

10. OdiWan72

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

There are better "experts" here than I, but I would say yes it is judging by the first and secound pics. Also, the damage to it would be consistant with its use as a flash.

12. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

I would say it is real, but can in no way be described as C10 - which should mean like brand new. More like an 8.

SAS

13. Crimsonnaire

Crimsonnaire Well-Known Member

I would gamble that it's real, but only judging from the extensive weathering, although I hesistate to say that it's impossible to weather a Parks MPP to look like that.

Your only solution is to find distinguishing details that are only present on Parks' MPP's, and verify them with yours. Only trouble is finding them.

You said that the original pictures showed no weathering. Perhaps the seller used substitutional pictures (of a Parks MPP), and later took pictures of the actual item.

14. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

16. Crimsonnaire

He, evidently, offers silver slidebars as well...

OdiWan72, is there wear on the inner surface of the clamp sleeve? Also, are there only nicks on the shroud, or are there intermediate weathering on the black, stone-finish surface as well? Are there any sections that are scratch-free, brand new--hence, standing out from the overall weathering? Can you detect any battery corrosion around or above the spring?

17. OdiWan72

18. Crimsonnaire

I'm afraid I've never gotten a good look at the Parks MPP. If only I could see detailed pictures of his replicas, I will be able to identify discrepancies that are coined on his MPP's, and determine whether yours is, definitely, a Parks.

Does anyone have pictures of Parks' MPP?

The shroud is accurate to the Vader ANH and ESB. As for the endcap hole, I've seen threading on just about every MPP I've seen. If I'm not mistaken, it's a requirement for insalling the battery spring, just that there are probably many different styles of threading.

[image]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Imperious825/myfirstMPP5.jpg[/image]
    As you can see, my endcap hole is a variation of yours, and I believe, the common type.

Your MPP appears very close to the one that was referenced for the HK MPP's--the detail namely of which is the tapering of the slidebars. However, Larry's may not have threading on the endcap, since his flashes were never meant to be used as an actual camera flash.

[image]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Imperious825/MPPM39.jpg[/image]
    This is another one that's similar to the HK MPP.

19. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

Check to see if there are any numbers on the tube.
    There should be a string of numbers and alpahbets on the main body and a digit number towards the end of the tube where the shroud will cover up when put in place.