Help please w sealing EVA Foam: Mod Podge vs Plastidip?

mizuno hadouken

Has anyone out there had experiences with both that can talk to the pros and cons of sealing foam with each method? Comparison in quality and durability? Any help is appreciated. I even read a suggestion by Jowe to use both. Anyone have experiences with that method as well?

I am team plasti dip. It seemed like I was coating the crap out of stuff with the mod podge (elmers glue) and not getting as far as a couple coats of plastic. I also suggest spray plasti over the brush on stuff.

I have also heard the Guesso, (spelling) may work. It is used to flexibly seal canvas for painting. I have some on order, but haven't tried it out yet.

check out my thread im using Hard Gesso and so far its amazing and super cheap it does take time to add layers but worth it....

I've never used Plasti Dip, but I have used Modge Podge.

For Modge Podge... it works, but it's kind of the cheap way out. It dries hard and globs up easily. You also have to do a lot of layers and... even then it tends to be weak. I used it for some craft foam armor I made (for a .hack costume) and the craft foam still managed to rip and fall apart.

I would use Modge Podge for small crafts and go with Plasti Dip for the big pieces. I've heard nothing but good things about Plasti Dip and plan to use it myself for future projects.

I've never used Plasti Dip, but I have used Modge Podge.

For Modge Podge... it works, but it's kind of the cheap way out. It dries hard and globs up easily. You also have to do a lot of layers and... even then it tends to be weak. I used it for some craft foam armor I made (for a .hack costume) and the craft foam still managed to rip and fall apart.

I would use Modge Podge for small crafts and go with Plasti Dip for the big pieces. I've heard nothing but good things about Plasti Dip and plan to use it myself for future projects.

THanks.... I think that's what I'm actually going to do... fill cracks with the mod podge, then plastidip on top. I read somewhere that you can even spray mod podge after your done painting for extra strength. Anyone have any experience with this?

You mean like... spraying it with clear acrylic? Yeah, that does strengthen it a bit more, but it wont be as sturdy as the Plasti Dip. I like your idea of using the Modge Podge to fill and THEN put on the Plasti Dip. That should work fine.

You mean like... spraying it with clear acrylic? Yeah, that does strengthen it a bit more, but it wont be as sturdy as the Plasti Dip. I like your idea of using the Modge Podge to fill and THEN put on the Plasti Dip. That should work fine.

Yeah, I was thinking mod podge cracks, plasti dip coats, prime, paint, then spray on mod podge as the last layer as an extra seal. I think i'll try it on a test piece.

I've been using two layers of watered down flexbond.Then plastidip. Flexbond will seal and plasti will coat. I used this on my Batman begins. I've also seen this with Krylon as the paint. It flexes with eva.

i think i might be the only one on here, BUT, ive had nthing but trouble with plastidip.

I'll get a can of sprayPD and use it, then once im done the can will sit for a few days while i begin work on other pices of my project...heres where things go...awry.

the next time i use the stuff its just got the worst texture and theres nothing i can do to fix it. it looks all lumpy and ****ty, whereas with mod podge, on can control 'the lumpiness' . you just have to water it down a tad so it dries smooth.

welp, that's my method. do like eight coats of watery-mod podge (or glue) THEN i'll add some acrylic paint in with the podge ( 4 coats), then finish it off with a few gloss/matte coats and viola!...all done.

then again, im horribible with spray paints and will always choose brush over can (ive been painting since i was like 4...im no prodigy or anything, but technically have been painting for a time).

good luck

I always bump in these threads - I've tried a lot of things for sealing foam.
The only product that works for me (and for a lot of other people) is Flexbond (it was mentionned by Joee - but nobody seemed to notice). It's a product from the company Rosco - if you're interested, look up the distributors in your region.

It's pricy, but it's so much better than Mod Podge or Gesso.

The only thing I can't comment on is how it compares to Plasti-Dip (it's not easily available here - so I've never tried it)... but some people here are swearing by this product and what it can do for foam build.

So, if you're looking for a durable (I mean it will last for years, through many wearing if taken care of properly), flexible sealer for foam that will also act as an adhesion promoter for your paint job - go with Flexbond, you won't be disappointed.

I always bump in these threads - I've tried a lot of things for sealing foam.
The only product that works for me (and for a lot of other people) is Flexbond (it was mentionned by Joee - but nobody seemed to notice). It's a product from the company Rosco - if you're interested, look up the distributors in your region.

It's pricy, but it's so much better than Mod Podge or Gesso.

The only thing I can't comment on is how it compares to Plasti-Dip (it's not easily available here - so I've never tried it)... but some people here are swearing by this product and what it can do for foam build.

So, if you're looking for a durable (I mean it will last for years, through many wearing if taken care of properly), flexible sealer for foam that will also act as an adhesion promoter for your paint job - go with Flexbond, you won't be disappointed.

I was actually going to ask you some questions about how you apply this stuff, but I ran into your tutorial doing a google search so I'm going to link it here since it's pretty sweet.

Craft Foam Finish :: Full Metal Sam

So I'm intending to use foam for my Iron Man armor and you mentioned that the coat of flexbond after paint will remove any effect of the paint. How does this effect metallics? Also, would you recommend weathering on the armor during the painting step, or after the flexbond over initial painting?

If you follow my tutorial - the coat of flexbond you'll apply over the paint job will kill the "shine" that metallic paints usually have. So you'll end up with something that way more matte than glossy (the flexbond does a little shine on itself... but not the same thing at all compared to metallic paint). This is all very visible if you're using a "chrome" type paint (Krylon has this in a can)... where the coat of paint will actually reflect a lot of light (you'll be able to see blurry reflections) and when you apply the flexbond - there's nothing of that "chrome" effect remaining... it will look just like any other regular silver paint.

You can try bringing this back with the type of top coat you'll use - but then the "glossier" the top coat, the more likely it is to crack when the foam will flex (even with the flexbond as an adhesion promoter). That's why I stick with matte top coat or "satin" top coat (I stay away from the crystal and the likes).

As for weathering - I usually do this over the last coat of flexbond ... and then I apply the top coat.

I have done quite a few foam builds and I swear by Plasti-dip. The thing is if you do it right you only have to use one or two coats. The stuff works like a dream.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back