Help Needed: Removing bubbles from a latex mold

kBlam Props

Hi guys,
So as of last week I've begun molding my Daft Punk helmet replicas in latex. I've had to redo both molds after the first coat as they developed small air pockets/bubble which would distort the final cast. All is well so far on run #2, however after the third coat on my Guy Manuel helmet, three small bubbles have formed once again. I know for certain the first detail coat went on smooth and without problem, and that these only developed on the latest coat. I tried the first time around to cut the latex and place a fresh coat underneath to seal it, however that didn't work, the blade caught the latex rather than cutting it, dragging the rubber and causing a larger bubble.

My thoughts as to a solution (short of scrapping and restarting the molding of course) are:
1) Burst the bubble gently with a sewing needle and fill the entire recess with liquid latex, flattening the bubbles in the process
2) Burst the bubble gently with a sewing needle and apply thickened latex over the affected areas only, to flatten the bubbles and set/cure in the correct shape.
3) Any suggestions?

Of course, I'd like to avoid restarting the process and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Included is a picture below highlighting the affected spots. They're not too badly raised (1-2mm MAX), but a perfect cast saves time later on.
Thanks guys,
-kBlam.

The picture in question: IMG_3432 highlighted.jpg

I would not recommend filling them- the latex that has cured has shrunk already and when you add liquid latex into the air bubbles they will cure and shrink and so warp the molds.

For something that size I'd honestly recommend caulking silicone instead. It is much more stable over a large surface like this.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=88707&p=1327199&viewfull=1#post1327199
I made two helmet molds this way. You just really need to make sure you work the silicone into water and soap well and do a very thin layer first to see any air bubbles on the surface.

All my molds are still going strong, my first were made in 2009.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back