Help Needed--Girlfriend wants to have an authentic looking Playboy bunny costume

I bought this hoping I could use it for Black Canary and I have to warn that it's cheap halloween quality. I ended up ripping it apart and using it as a basic pattern to make my own. I couldn't find anything like the bunny suit online that looked like it would be decent quality.

Well, there you go - the voice of experience! Without going custom, very limited choices.

R

Thanks for the info, kelldar!

She is very picky about this entire thing but doesn't want to spend the $600.00 price tag that someone else had mentioned. Like I said, she knows a lot about the details of it. I guess the cuff links are supposed to be pointed towards the girl at all times, etc, etc....she also said most girls use tube socks to enhance certain features.

She had never known about the former playboy website though so she is very excited about that! We're looking around online....perhaps I can see what I can do as far as customizing goes

Thanks again, to all! And yes, she doesn't mind pictures in the least bit. Remember, she's always contemplated being in Playboy but the only thing that has stopped her is her career choice and how it would effect that.

I bought this hoping I could use it for Black Canary and I have to warn that it's cheap halloween quality. I ended up ripping it apart and using it as a basic pattern to make my own. I couldn't find anything like the bunny suit online that looked like it would be decent quality.

I did the same thing, Kelldar - ripped it apart and tried using it as a pattern. The big problem in this case if she was going for super authentic with doing that though would be all of the adjustments needed to compensate for using a non-stretch fabric. This is just a stab in the dark but it MIGHT be easier to find a pattern for the bustier top and alter that to be the full suit. I've run that idea thought my head for a long time now but never put it to the test yet. But now hearing that the originals likely had lacing in places other than just the back I'm guessing you could have it lace up the sides as well to allow room for putting it on, so long as when it laced back up everything was flush. Definitely a lot of work.....and the $600 price tag probably is somewhat justified, but if she can sew at all......she could do it for a lot less.

My parents belonged to the Playboy club in New York back in the 60's (?) maybe early 70's...My mom might still have some of the old club flyers and stuff kicking around somewhere...I remember seeing some promo materials years ago...
Also, my sister has a lot of experience making historical corsets (civil war, victorian...) and I know she has found some suppliers of the actual boning, and not the looped metal stuff they pass off as boning now. I can try and find out her supplier if you decide to go the route of making your own.

The looped metal stuff is called spiral steel. It bends forward and backwards like the regular spring steel does but it also bends side to side. Therefore it is meant for different applications. Some people who make corsets use the sprial steel in the sides of the corset only to allow for a little better movement. It could be used everywhere, however, it is heavier than the regular spring steel. Also, the spiral steel only comes in one width (as far as I know) so it is limited in that nature. Spiral steel can be bought by the metre/yard and is a little easier for the home sewer to cut and re-tip although it requires some heavy duty wire cutters to do the job. Spring steel is much harder to cut, although it's still doable. Spiral steel fits the bill well when you need an unsual length. 99 percent of the time I stick with spring steet but I always have spiral on hand. I totally agree with your sister, JonnyAmateur....making a Victorian corset with with all that boning would weigh a TON if you used spiral steel!

The looped metal stuff is called spiral steel. It bends forward and backwards like the regular spring steel does but it also bends side to side. Therefore it is meant for different applications. Some people who make corsets use the sprial steel in the sides of the corset only to allow for a little better movement. It could be used everywhere, however, it is heavier than the regular spring steel. Also, the spiral steel only comes in one width (as far as I know) so it is limited in that nature. Spiral steel can be bought by the metre/yard and is a little easier for the home sewer to cut and re-tip although it requires some heavy duty wire cutters to do the job. Spring steel is much harder to cut, although it's still doable. Spiral steel fits the bill well when you need an unsual length. 99 percent of the time I stick with spring steet but I always have spiral on hand. I totally agree with your sister, JonnyAmateur....making a Victorian corset with with all that boning would weigh a TON if you used spiral steel!

Yeah she learned that early on the hard way...while working with a treadle sewing machine...she learned that authentic patterns was one thing, authentic tools on the other hand were quite a different story.

From what I've seen, the boning gives the corsets a nicer look, the steel tends to pucker funny (depending on the wearer of course). I know she gives people the option when she's making them...but for the re-enacting community, they usually want to be as authentic as possible.

Hey guys,

Just was talking about Halloween with my girlfriend and she was talking about costume options for herself. She's always wanted an authentic looking Playboy bunny costume but said that after looking last year like crazy, she was unable to find anything. I, of course, immediately thought of the power of the RPF and was hoping maybe someone could give us a hand with this? She's mainly concerned about the corset/bodice. Anyone have any leads?

Big thanks in advance!
I read all the threads on this topic, and have been down this road myself. The only option is custom . . . and you will pay accordingly. If you search eBay every now and then you will find someone selling a replica or an orginal. Be prepared to pay north of $500! I made my own, but not without investing tons of time and making some mistakes on my 1st attempt. Your GF is correct, ppl go nuts over the exact details. This is not something you can sit down and whip out. Replicating the exact details of the original construction is a complicated endeavor. Finding all the correct materials is another issue. You can email me if you want to see my pics.

Posting these for any future queries ;) I'm not sure if the OP has seen them but thay may help in answering questions :)

http://goodkarmadoll.tripod.com/originalvintage1967playboybunnycostume/
Not sure it is will help or if it is something already seen. The ebay auction page closed years ago but this remains.
http://www.artfact.com/catalog/viewLot.cfm?sample=1450
http://chicagoist.com/2004/11/29/the_great_chicago_fire_sale.php
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/...0702&sid=b763a9ed-fc65-49c4-a93f-5a2650aa5b99
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/...8577&sid=b763a9ed-fc65-49c4-a93f-5a2650aa5b99
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/...4692&sid=b763a9ed-fc65-49c4-a93f-5a2650aa5b99
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=89360241629&ref=ts
http://www.pjtv.tv/playboy_bunny_costumes.htm
These last two links include an interior image in each that shows the construction of the inside. Yep, they were made front and back separately and then sewn together that the sides to fit :) Very cool.

A good quality replica will cost a lot because of all the work involved in fitting and support but if you want to learn to make it then find a book on vintage lingere (1950s era) and use that as a guide. The techniques used will be similar.

Wow, I didn't expect to see this thread bumped up.

My gf decided not to do this since time was an issue and she didn't want to spend what she would have to in order to get it "just right" for her standards. Maybe this year though....we talked about her being a bunny and me being young Heff :p Then again, we just started a savings account for our future together so who knows...props have kind of been tossed to the side temporarily...

I know I'm very late on this thread, but it would have been nice to see someone do this outfit correctly. I've seen so many bad versions. I miss those old days hanging at the Boston, New York and London Clubs. I was a member back in the day and was lucky enough to be stationed near those clubs. The new Bunnies at the Palms in Vegas have been outfitted with a slightly new design. Looks basically the same but I think they've redone the structure somewhat to modern standards.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back