Help needed... batman cowl sculpt casting help.

Nyne

so im a 1/4 way thru a batman sculpt, and i want to eventually turn it into a wearable mask, was looking for suggestions on what i should eventually cast it in, its going to be a one off personal use then display piece. so im open to suggestions of all sorts. Whats reasonably inexpensive for a one off piece. The reason i need it to be reasonably inexpensive is because my Fiancee will kill me from spending to much on something like that when we are planning our wedding. So any suggestions will be appreciated.

If you are not allergic to it then Latex is the most economical way to cast the cowl from an ultracal 30 mold. Ultracal 30 is a better form of plaster but still fairly cheap. If you like chances, you can use plaster and an acrylic fortifier like acryl 60 which can be found in any hardware big box store.

I've always used the fortifier with my molds.

Dean

Yeah, latex is your best bet. I buy large quantities at carpetlayer's supply stores. A gallon of Touchdown 710 is $35, and works well.

yeah. im just going to slush cast it. and @ looch never heard of carpetlayers supply stores? is that a chain or what?

Highly recommend getting a roll of burlap from a big box hardware store garden center, cutting into 3" strips and doing crisscrossed layers for reinforcement in the middle. Cut them extra long and when you get to an edge, double them back over to keep frayed ends from getting exposed on the perimeter, which can lead to issues when casting later on (Burlap should be totally covered with Ultracal and none exposed). Doubling back will also help thicken the edge that much more...

will do the Burlap to help reinforce the mold. thanks for the suggestions. Still tryin to find someplace to get latex from.

Yes good latex, I have a friend that used that to mold a Myers mask. I have tried making my own Batman cowl as well, with little success, however the Latex was pretty tough. I didn't have that particular same latex either but I assume the white is the same.

Monstermakers latex is good stuff---I've been using the Bat Black for awhile now, with very good results. Be sure you account for latex shrinkage in your sculpt, otherwise your cowl will be too small.

well workin on him today turned into a disaster, My fiancee was sick and got up to run to the bathroom and knocked him and his stand over:cry so back to square 1. how big should i make the sculpt to allow for adequate shrinkage in the latex? any rough estimates will be nice. and Thanks everyone for the help and tips.

yeah. im just going to slush cast it. and @ looch never heard of carpetlayers supply stores? is that a chain or what?
Nope, not a chain, but the place where carpet layers go to buy their supplies. I would look them up in your neighbourhood. I have one here near me-very handy living in a big city!

well workin on him today turned into a disaster, My fiancee was sick and got up to run to the bathroom and knocked him and his stand over:cry so back to square 1. how big should i make the sculpt to allow for adequate shrinkage in the latex? any rough estimates will be nice. and Thanks everyone for the help and tips.

Sorry to hear that! The general rule of thumb, assuming you're starting with your own lifecast (or an armature with enough clay built up to your head size) is to add a minimum of 1/2" thickness of clay. My head is 24" around at the brow, so adding a minimum of 1/2" yields a sculpt about 27" around. I usually go a bit bigger, 27 1/2" to 28", so the cowl doesn't fit my head so tight.

Measured my Head its at 22-23 so i will sculpt to a 25-26 sculpt on my cowl. I appreciate everyones tips as this is my first time sculpting .

@ Looch thanks for the tip. yeah we have places like that around here. I think we have one complete flooring store.

@ BatTexan thanks for the tips. The Armature im using is about an 1/8 under my head so i will probably add atleast 3/4 to get a size to make sure its not to snug because my ears stick out a lil more.

@ Cal i was working on it when it happened. The table i had it was a small portable table that i have a hole cut into with a pvc pipe running thru with my armature on it. My Fiancee ran into the table causing it to fall over and smashed up the back and left side when it hit my floor :(

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back