Hellboy Rasputin Journal - HPL edition

airhead

Sr Member
I finally finished a project that has been "in progress" for a long time - the journal that Rasputin uses to call forth the Seven Gods of Chaos (and Hellboy).

I always thought that the strong Lovecraft tone of Hellboy's world should spill over into the grimoire that Rasputin is using, much like the Necronomicon is used in the HPL canon. So, I re-drew the pages from the Hellboy Director's Cut DVD booklet and created a font based on the text from those pages.

1597605228917.jpeg

Then, all that was left was to create around 120 new pages using everything from HPL's stories and letters to the classic grimoires - Key of Solomon, Latin Dee Necronomicon, the Lemegeton, and so on....

I also added maginal notes or comments in the HPL Handwriting font from the HPLHS - you know - he must have seen this book at some time. Probably in the collection at Miskatonic University.

1597605245352.jpeg

I chose to follow the page count of one of the hero books created for the film - 1st signature of 2 folded sheets (8 pages), 11 signatures of 3 folded sheets (12 pages each), and the last signature of 2 folded sheets. I had built a sewing frame back for my Nine Gates, so it was finally time to round up the sewing supplies, cut notches for the binding thread, and sew it up on cords.

1597605262350.jpeg

1597605274579.jpeg

1597605288169.jpeg

I wanted use the construction where the sewn signatures were glued to the cover with real raised bands, but I did add some mull cloth to the spine and some craft paper to smooth it out. The cover boards had the distinctive added triangles; I used a fabric weight dark brown leather (since I had it laying around). The hero was actually brown.

1597605303866.jpeg

I added a headband and tailband and was ready to attach the text block to the cover.

1597605314511.jpeg

Final product.

1597605325918.jpeg

I think that I started this about 15 years ago, so it's nice to get it finished. I wish that I had a color laser printer; inkjet won't hold up to much in the way of weathering. But, with the pages all formatted, maybe the next time....

Thanks for looking.
David

Wow, very cool. I have a couple of similar "book" projects that have been kicking around for almost as long. This is great inspiration. Well done

I marked off the holes on the spines of the signatures and used an awl to punch the holes. I have since built a piercing frame to use in making some grail diaries. I made it out of scrap cardboard - repurposing, instead of recycling.

Thanks all for the kind comments. I've been thinking about this one for a while. Now, maybe I can make some progress on a couple of other book projects myself.

David

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back