Hellboy Prop: Broom's Box. Need info.

This is amazing! One of my dream props after I get some easier builds under my belt (and purchase more tools!). Looks sooooo good.

Super cool, I wonder if anyone has done the book from the opening of Hellboy 2. Since the box is slightly different in that movie it would make a nice addition.

A few items back into place:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401161349.010567.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

the box looks great. you've done a great job on this and the weathering really tops it off. one of the best builds I've seen on the site this year.

Tiny update:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401417240.795965.jpg

Thin goatskin leather for the book spines arrived today. Red leather dyes should come tomorrow and then we'll see if I can fake the look of the real book spines with that and gold leaf. If so, it will sure beat custom making (or having made) the books. My books are thinner than Dr. Broom's so I will have one more in my set so as to fill up the space in the box.

BTW, all the coloring of the wood was done with chemicals, not stains. Potassium permanganate for the yellow/brown, apple cider vinegar with dissolved steel wool for the black and chlorine bleach to tone them back where I got too heavy-handed. A final thin coat of amber shellac to keep the chemicals off the contents of the box and also to enhance the yellow and it was done.

The final wood affect is certainly beautiful. I wouldn't have known all those different ways to age wood.

Thanks! I didn't either until this project. (Good ol' Google!) It only looks like this on oak, also. Pine or ash would look completely different.

Last edited:
I might be able to help you out on the correct monkey skull. I have one here from the screen mould. It won't be for a while as I'm up to my eyes in building for the next next 6 months. But rest assured you will be able to upgrade in the future.

In the mean time if you want there one you have there (is it resin?) to look old just get a paper towel and some wood stain and rub it all over then rub it back with a scotch pad until it looks right. It make resin look like old bone.

Great advice, sskunky, and I have used that exact technique on resin. That is an actual monkey skull, though, and so I am going to use acrylic washes and shoe polish. I have the Indonesian ebay vendor looking for a smaller one for me and so I am holding off on aging this one. I am definitely interested in a casting of yours, when the time comes. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting. It is clearly not meant to be a monkey skull and it is only the front third of the skull. I have seen skulls cut this way for use as a pendant (lies flat on the chest). Seeing this, I may just cut the back off mine and then wait for your casting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401470167.036871.jpg

Yours is definitely this one from the prop maker's web site. But the one on the DVD menu really looks like a monkey skull:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401475591.184093.jpg

Last edited:
So here is a mini-step by step on weathering the skull:

First, I cut off the back of the skull on the band saw (Yum! Indonesian monkey skull bone dust; no pathogens in that stuff, for sure...) Then, a quick all over wash with dilute Burnt Sienna acrylic paint and then a more focused wash on the sutures, foramina, tooth sockets, orbits; basically all the low points.

IMG_0196.jpg

Next a wash with this great stuff, again concentrating on the low spots:

:IMG_0197.jpg

Here is the result:

IMG_0198.jpg

I love the Aim Products weathering solutions (and powders) because they are alcohol based and so can be taken back off with alcohol if you overdo it.

Next , a more opaque wash with Delta Dirt,
IMG_0199.jpg

focusing on the nooks and crannies: orbits, nasal cavity, temporal fossae, etc. Using a swab with alcohol, I rubbed it back off the high spots:

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.JPG

Because these Aim Products weathering solutions have multiple pigments in them, you get a very nice polychromatic effect, mimicking actual age/wear/weather. You can see green, grey and blue tints in these photos but it is really striking in person. You could certainly achieve this with acrylic paints and powdered pastels but it would take much more time.

Next, a quick couple of coats of Dull-cote and then a couple of coats of Johnson's paste wax (or neutral paste shoe polish) to restore a nice, well-handled bony sheen:
IMG_0203.JPG

Finally, some vigorous rubbing with a nylon abrasive pad to take a little pigment off the high spots:

IMG_0204.jpg

Done!

IMG_0205.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back