Hellboy Prop: Broom's Box. Need info.

Question for Adam -

How is the front panel henged? I am guessing that it is a pin through the two ends, but any details will be appreciated. And one other - are the books just blank books (I know that you had one built to match the missing one)?

Thanks. I'm about to jump into this project after a couple of years of thinking about it.

David

Question for Adam -

How is the front panel henged? I am guessing that it is a pin through the two ends, but any details will be appreciated. And one other - are the books just blank books (I know that you had one built to match the missing one)?

Thanks. I'm about to jump into this project after a couple of years of thinking about it.

David

The book I had made for Adam was blank. Not sure on the hinge.

Koipond, those of us building these replicas salute you. I would be willing to slide a little cash your way for your efforts if you undertook this and shared the fruits of your labor with the group.

And I agree, it looks like the front is hinged via a pin tapped into the door from each end through holes in the two sides of the box. Maybe Adam could verify this?

Question for Adam -

David

Koipond, those of us building these replicas salute you. I would be willing to slide a little cash your way for your efforts if you undertook this and shared the fruits of your labor with the group.

And I agree, it looks like the front is hinged via a pin tapped into the door from each end through holes in the two sides of the box. Maybe Adam could verify this?

Thats how i did it for mine : DSC04522.jpg

It is coming along very nicely. It looks like there is an incised circle around the ink bottle holes. I can't tell if it is a recess or just a ring cut in. So far, I have found one ink bottle, but haven't looked in the usual places.

21" of snow in Roanoke, VA means not much plastic surgery but lots of progress on Broom's box!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392422447.079060.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392422495.914565.jpg

Next, fill the gaps in the inner corners and then the fun part can start!

Also, I think there is a slight error in Adam's excellent drawing: I think the large central compartment in the base is only as wide as compartments 3 and 4 in the lid, not 3,4 and 5 as drawn. Can someone double check the photos vs. the drawing and let me know what you think. Thanks! (This may just be what he means by "not to scale" but it is a point of possible confusion, so I point it out).

Also, any idea what holds the contents of 2, 3 and 4 in place when the lid closes?

Sweet. Really good work. I have noted that the painting needs to be compressed (thus making it thinner) to fit into the frame.

Gorgeous work so far. What kind of joints did you use for the drawers? The drawer pulls look good - are they available at the usual hardware superstores? One last (for now) question - how did you do the bottom? Did you use any jointing, or just fit it into the opening of the sides? Glue or brads or both?

Thanks. And it really does look great!

David

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back