Heads up on Models of cars from films.

CB2001

Master Member
Before I begin, I'm just letting you guys know about these car/vehicle models because I recognized them from films. I don't know if these models are available everywhere, or if the stores I found these in are available in your area. But I felt I'd give a heads up on these anyway, because I figured these would be a bit of interesting additions to your collection.

The first model I found at Hobby Lobby. You remember the 1974 Volkswagen van that the Libyans drove in the first film of the Back to the Future trilogy? Well, Maisto has started a new line of Metal Body kits called Custom Shop, and they have a 1974 Volkswagen van as a part of their line (they call it Volkswagen Van "Samba"). The van has the same kind of two-tone paintjob as the one in the film, except instead of it being blue, it's green on top and white on the bottom (which I think could be fixed with a simple paintjob). You may also have to cannibalize the wheels from another kit (as the ones in this kit are "tricked out" rims and wheels), but for a 1:25 scale kit, it'd be great to have sitting next to your 1:25 scale DeLorean time machine from Welly (if you picked one up). Anyways, here's a picture of the model kit's package:

attachment.php

The second model I found at Joann's. It's a model of the of the Gee Bee by Testors. For those who are unfamiliar with the plane, there was a film adaptation of the comic series The Rocketeer. There are two Gee Bees featured in the film, at the beginning and at the end of the films. I figured that this particular model could be useful to Rocketeer fans who want to make a scale model replica of either Gee Bees seen in the film. Anyways, here's the picture of it:

attachment.php

Anyways, that's about it. I figured I'd give these heads up in case anyone was looking to add a couple more kits to their collection. :)

Last edited:
The Testors/Hawk Gee Bee is in 1/72 scale - if you're looking for something a little bigger, Williams Bros. does a 1/32 Gee Bee. It goes in and out of production but you can find them on Ebay in the $15-$20 range. Its a basic kit, but the shape is good overall and its a detailer's dream come true, lots of plug wires, control cables, and other fiddly bits to greeble.

Jeff

Thing is though, the Maisto diecast is NOT a 74 Volkswagen but the body style from the mid-1960s. Volkswagen switched over to the 1970s body style around 1968-69 and kept it until about 1980 or so (my dad owned a 1975 pop top camper version). I don't know of anyone doing the 1970s style van currently. Revell of Germany did the more square shaped van that came after.

van is all wrong for bttf , look at the front of it comapred to the movie

more like this one..possibly still not the exact one

cali2010298.jpg

Last edited:
I did. I compared it to the picture at this link: IMCDb.org: 1974 Volkswagen Station Wagon [Typ 2 / T2] in "Back to the Future, 1985"

Besides, if the model is incorrect, there's nothing a dremel and a little putty couldn't do to make it look correct. Seriously, look at what the things that's several users here have down to make the Diamond Select BTTF DeLorean screen accurate. Making the mods to the van couldn't really be that impossible, could it?

Last edited:
the van in question is most likely to be a 73-79 VW t2 with the camper option. the secondary lights on the front are most likely off road lights

Well, okay, if the van is incorrect, I'm sorry about the heads up about that.

But at least I know I got the Gee Bee plane correct. It may not be very big, but it's perfect for someone who wants to have one for a display of theire Rockeet Helmet and/or Rocketpack.

for the VW van Matchbox has the correct body but the roof has the pop up camper(does not pop up) in 1:64th scale

bttf.jpg

mine is from the 2010/11 super fast line with metal base
bttfchase.jpg

didn't even have to re-paint it

The Matchbox is still off but a good substitute. The turn signals are on the bottom when they should be on top plus the bumper is round unlike more square in the movie. You are looking for the Kombi edition van

whats the delorean sitting on the box , seems to have alot of detail or is it a diy detail job

for the VW van Matchbox has the correct body but the roof has the pop up camper(does not pop up) in 1:64th scale

bttf.jpg

mine is from the 2010/11 super fast line with metal base
bttfchase.jpg

didn't even have to re-paint it

whats the delorean sitting on the box , seems to have alot of detail or is it a diy detail job
it's a DIY detail job of the Hot Wheels 2010 New Models DeLorean. i added detail paint on the body and inside and put a new set of wheels goodyear rubber off a matchbox premier camaro and the rims are from a hot wheels LA Dodgers Dodge ram re-painted silver.

I know this is an old thread, but it's new to me. I agree, the one on the box looks way better with a simple wheel change. I was already planning to mod/repaint my 2011 BTTF hot wheels Delorean, but I think I'll take it a step further and replace the wheels and maybe change out the blue windows with clear ones from the 2010 deloreans (gold and black ones had clear windows).

van is all wrong for bttf , look at the front of it comapred to the movie

more like this one..possibly still not the exact one

cali2010298.jpg

Yes, the van in the movie is what VW fans refer to as a T2 Bay Window which was the second incarnation of the famous bus....I actually own a real 1972 example very similar to the one in the photo above. The low indicators mean it is an early bay produced up to 1972....later models have the indicator lights higher up on either side of the front grille.
Pre-1968 the van had the distinctive split windscreen and is known as a Splitty in VW circles.
As far as I know there are no styrene kits available of the Bay Window variant despite it being the most common type.
Revell and Hasegawa produce Splitty's in various forms. Revell also produce the later square type known as the T25

The correct VW Bus is a later model with the pull back sunroof and gas cap on the side. Mine is a 73 solid top since I didn't want to mess with all the seals and rust issues that some with the sunroofs. It's also the original factory colors, so repainter her will be a lot easier.

View attachment 113653

Hello

The GeeBee is indeed a Z-Model. The only scale model of that version is a 1/32 kit from Williams Brothers, which is really hard to find. Another possibility to build this plane is to modify a Dumas rubber band powered flying model. It´s a laser cut balsa kit and with a little effort you can build a stunning replica this way. They are a blast to build and you can have the framing done in 3 days. Then it´s just adding details. If done right, they are superior to any plastic model:
Google-Ergebnis für http://www.dumasproducts.com/images/406GB-Z.jpg

The VW Bus as seen in BTTF is also available from Welly. The model is a ´72, but that´s not too much of a difference:
Google-Ergebnis für http://diecast-vintage-cars.com/images/1972-volkswagen-bus-van-t2-red-diecast-car-model-1-24-die-cast-car-by-welly.jpg

Greetz,
Kevin

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back