HCG Aliens Dropship

Yep… we needed to put a sign up stating there was shipping damage due to all the people mentioning it, lol.

Once I get that second prototype in hand, I’ll be photographing it for the launch. I can’t wait!! :)
Ordered. The exclusives will be gone in a heartbeat. It's pricy folks but in this economy $1500 is what $750 was just a few years ago. I would have liked to have seen headlights working and both articulating missile pods as well TBH. GC

As mentioned above, the apparent lack of articulation in the weapon pods is hugely disappointing. The scale, detail, and paint work all look fantastic, but the fold in/out weapon pods are without a doubt one of the most iconic elements of the Aliens dropship and their exclusion really hinders this release in my mind. (Additionally it would make it much safer to ship this model if the weapon pods articulated. If the pods had been retracted on their prototype unit, it would have been much less likely to have suffered the damage it did on its way to San Diego.)

The absence of this detail is particularly disappointing considering that the $150 Aoshima model from some years ago featured folding weapon pods, removable landing gears, and a APC ramp that actually retracted rather than the clunkier dual ramp system on this model. Additionally, I really feel that at this price the forward landing lights should function as well - if the $300 Hiya Toys Aliens APC can feature functioning lights it's hard to justify the exclusion in a $1500 model. There are also a few small details that are off or missing, such as the lack of glass over the forward headlamps and the rather ugly painted "lightbulbs" for these headlamps - once again, minor details, but for $1500 I believe one shouldn't settle for less than perfection. I really appreciate the work that HCG does to bring movie props to the public, however, to me this model continues a trend of them putting very little effort into their offerings beyond making them pleasing to the eye.

Even with these shortcomings, I admit I'm tempted, however, it's really difficult to justify a purchase with so many key elements of this iconic craft missing in action. True fans of the film would include these features because they would want to provide the best model they could offer, however, I understand that HCG is a company and like most companies they're in the game to maximize their profits - which is of course, understandable. I just wish they recognized that putting a bit more effort into their offerings may cost them in the short run, but profit them in the long run with an improved reputation and increased customer loyalty. Regardless, I'm happy this item is being released, and while I personally find it disappointing, if the pictures are any indication it's certainly a striking and attractive piece.
After looking on the website and examining the photographs more there are few more discrepancies that I see But they are going to have to package these things real carefully if those wings are pinned in place because I foresee a few of them being broken during shipment, especially if it is made with the same materials they did their APC which is basically a solid block of polystone.

After looking on the website and examining the photographs more there are few more discrepancies that I see But they are going to have to package these things real carefully if those wings are pinned in place because I foresee a few of them being broken during shipment, especially if it is made with the same materials they did their APC which is basically a solid block of polystone.
It should be noted that I was actually wrong about the glass (plastic) being absent on the forward landing lights. It seems that the pictures early in the thread are actually from a prototype version of the dropship and the glass is in fact present in the final build. So it's at least good to see that they made some final improvements on the model. The HCG website actually lists the dropship model material as PU (polyurethane) rather than polystone. Whether this makes the model sturdier or more fragile I can't say, however, I'd assume at the very least it's considerably lighter than if it had been crafted of polystone. In a perfect world it would constructed of entirely of aluminum and diecast metal, but that's obviously wishful thinking. To their credit, in my experience, HCG does do an excellent job packaging their products, so I suspect even with the poor choice to keep the wings static they'll be few instance of them being damaged in shipment. Regardless, having the wings fold in would certainly further diminish the chance of damage as well as greatly reduce the size of the packaging.

Last edited:
It should be noted that I was actually wrong about the glass (plastic) being absent on the forward landing lights. It seems that the pictures early in the thread are actually from a prototype version of the dropship and the glass is in fact present in the final build. So it's at least good to see that they made some final improvements on the model. The HCG website actually lists the dropship model material as PU (polyurethane) rather than polystone. Whether this makes the model sturdier or more fragile I can't say, however, I'd assume at the very least it's considerably lighter than if it had been crafted of polystone. In a perfect world it would constructed of entirely of aluminum and diecast metal, but that's obviously wishful thinking. To their credit, in my experience, HCG does do an excellent job packaging their products, so I suspect even with the poor choice to keep the wings static they'll be few instance of them being damaged in shipment. Regardless, having the wings fold in would certainly further diminish the chance of damage as well as greatly reduce the size of the packaging.
Yeah they say the model is made of polyurethane but I bet you that it's going to be polystone which is polyurethane mixed with powdered stone. This is probably done to add stiffness because regular polyurethane resin can sag over time.

Yeah they say the model is made of polyurethane but I bet you that it's going to be polystone which is polyurethane mixed with powdered stone. This is probably done to add stiffness because regular polyurethane resin can sag over time.

I see, thank you very much for clarifying that. I didn't realize that polystone was derivative of polyurethane. I suspect you're 100% right that it will be polystone (like the apc) rather than straight polyurethane - which certainly sounds like the better choice of the two.

I have only seen the prototype for photography and stuff, and I won’t get the factory sample for a few months to inspect before we approve it to go into full production. The prototype is always different than the final, and decisions are made between the owners of HCG and the factory as to what is the best and most safe way to construct the factory run piece, for safest shipping results.

So I can’t give you exact info on the wings. There is a good chance they will not be attached for safe shipping reasons. I’ll only find that out when I receive it. They might be separate so they won’t snap off, and you will insert them into their slot when assembling. I’ll let you all know when I see how it is being done by the factory.

I have only seen the prototype for photography and stuff, and I won’t get the factory sample for a few months to inspect before we approve it to go into full production. The prototype is always different than the final, and decisions are made between the owners of HCG and the factory as to what is the best and most safe way to construct the factory run piece, for safest shipping results.

So I can’t give you exact info on the wings. There is a good chance they will not be attached for safe shipping reasons. I’ll only find that out when I receive it. They might be separate so they won’t snap off, and you will insert them into their slot when assembling. I’ll let you all know when I see how it is being done by the factory.

Thanks for the update. I assume it's too late in the development cycle to give the fans what they're clamoring for and include articulation on the weapon pods and removable/retractable landing gears? Working lights would be a nice touch as well... Seriously though, as proven by this thread, there are more than a few potential buyers that are unwilling to take the plunge on a purely static prop. Perhaps with a run of only 1000 worldwide it makes no difference as with or without these features it may eventually sell out, however, as I mentioned earlier, there is something to be said to acquiring the good will and future loyalty of movie fans and potential customers.

Last edited:
The new replica looks a bit small, but great detail! 3 days ago I discovered the rare 1/72 Halcyon Dropship in Japan, expensive but I had to buy it. I’ll make a thread when I begin building it.

View attachment 1611322

Talaris did you find yours on Ebay, or was it a different site? Been looking for one that isn't priced over $200 U.S., pretty much impossible at this time...

Talaris did you find yours on Ebay, or was it a different site? Been looking for one that isn't priced over $200 U.S., pretty much impossible at this time...
Sorry for late reply, hadn’t logged in in a while. I found mine in a store in Japan for around $100. The Sulaco I found for $90 and the Narcissus a lot less at $40. It was complete chance to find them: for 4 years I was looking in these same second-hand stores and never saw them before. Funnily enough these are made in Japan for the UK market, and though I’m British, I’ve never seen them in stores in the UK before.

Last edited:
hcg3.jpg
hcgsdcc1small.jpg
hcg2.jpg

I like it. Mine has been paid for....... for months now. I wish they would have put some landing lights and cockpit lights in it however even static it will be given a place in my collection. None of the preorders on the Predator items has been released yet.

Last edited:
I'm still very, very tempted by this, but for that price I just can't justify it without the articulation. That's the entire reason the Dropship is so awesome, it's like releasing a $1500 model of Thunderbird 2 that doesn't have a removable pod so you can display it with the legs extended. When combined with what to my eyes are numerous subtle differences from the filming model, the price becomes more and more unreasonable. Judging by the fact that the exclusive version still isn't sold out on HCG's website almost a year and a half later, I'm not alone in that belief.

If it was $1000 instead of $1500 I'd perhaps have been all over it, but like others have said for $1500 you expect perfection and this isn't it, sadly.

Last edited:
I had the Aoshima die-cast (with lots of articulation) and the APC that fit inside. I can't see this beating that.
Exactly! That's what I mean, that model is perfection for its scale. At this thing's size you'd expect everything the Aoshima does and more — working lights, especially. It is more detailed, and it does look very nice, yet somehow it's a downgrade in the most important area.

Sorry for late reply, hadn’t logged in in a while. I found mine in a store in Japan for around $100. The Sulaco I found for $90 and the Narcissus a lot less at $40. It was complete chance to find them: for 4 years I was looking in these same second-hand stores and never saw them before. Funnily enough these are made in Japan for the UK market, and though I’m British, I’ve never seen them in stores in the UK before.
No worries! I actually just found an original Halcyon on evilBay for $100, could not believe my eyes... my right hand clicked on buy without me even thinking about it, pure reflex! Now all I have to do is spend another $150 on aftermarket parts... :eek:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back