HBO's House of the Dragon

I still didn't vote in the thread's poll, but to be honest I don't feel any connection with any of the characters in HOTD. Maybe I don't see the different and interesting journeys that were present on so many GOT characters (though there are some good actors present in HOTD), maybe I'm missing the common folk in the series, maybe everything is on a hurry, I don't know.
Regarding your last point, this season definitely is getting to feel a bit hurried. I keep thinking that as much as I understand the impetus for efficiency in telling the background leading up to the civil war so that we can dive into the meat of the story, an extra episode or two taking place within the time jumps to date could have been useful for greater character development. For instance, an episode devoted to the Crabfeeder war could have allowed us to get to know Laenor prior to the marriage.

I'm guessing that once we reach season 2, things should start to progress more in real time. At least that's my hope.

In Game of Thrones there were many characters who I started out hating, but redeemed themselves, or became someone you rooted for

Think how much people hated Jamie or the Hound early on and by the end had become fan favorites
Good point. I've tried to avoid writing any character off entirely, because it does sound like shifting allegiances are to be expected in this story. I've been particularly surprised by many viewers' complete dismissal of Otto. He still strikes me as both self-serving AND acting with the realm's best chance of survival at heart, simultaneously. He seems to be a realist, who sees the writing on the wall. So I think there's plenty of room for him to become a more sympathetic character if we get a chance to explore his motivations more.

And interesting article about the throne.

Yeah I am not sure yet about Otto

The wedding of Alicent to the king was definitely manipulative, but it seems like he is serving the best interests of the realm and trying to solidify a clear line of succession instead of falling into war. Problem was Viserys did not follow along

Although he also does remind me a lot of Tywin Lannister at times

I really dug Rhea Royce's armor (and her uncle's) in the first scene. Looks like they have runes carved into the leather.

1663704434732.png

It seems the official interpretation could be the case, but it requires both a very particular reason for Aemma's diagnosis that was not specified, AND a very particular meaning behind Mellos’s blood loss warning that was not specified. On the other hand, a vice-versa scenario, where a destructive vaginal extraction could have possibly saved Aemma, strikes me as much more easily plausible. Moreover, the vice-versa interpretation lends the sequence greater shock, and cruelty, and tragedy – Westeros's brand, after all – and makes a more complicated, conflicted character of Viserys. All around, a more compelling story in my opinion.
Ok, seriously... Does destructive obstetric delivery / embryotomy not exist in Westeros??!?

I'll admit I was not particularly familiar with these procedures before researching a bit in regards to episode 1, but a variety of tools and techniques have been employed through much of recorded history for the express purpose of saving a mother’s life when natural delivery fails. They continue to take place today in countries where lacking medical resources do not facilitate safe C-sections.

Success is not guaranteed, but this is twice now in six episodes that even simply the possibility has been conspicuously absent from the conversation, and by its omission, the show seems to be strongly implying that prior to safe C-sections, a breech or obstructed labor automatically equaled death for the mother. This is patently false – at least in the real world.

I understand that Westeros is not the real world, but we’ve also been heavily encouraged to view this series as being closely analogous to the real Medieval period and especially real historical treatment of women. I’ve therefore come to expect major deviations to be at least relatively clearly communicated. There are dragons? Roger that. Targaryens can be fire-resistant? Got it. That’s fine, as long as it’s established in the narrative.

So am I missing some clue that embryotomy is unknown or banned in Westeros? Or that female reproductive systems differ there?

There don't seem to be a lot of HOTD watchers on here (living up to the thread's title, I suppose), but for the three people still reading...

I thought tonight's episode was fantastically executed, and a relief, because honestly I disliked a lot of Ep. 6 (the above being one of several reasons). Last week I started to wonder whether I'd hold out to the end of the season, so I was genuinely surprised how successfully Ep. 7 managed to place things back on track while also reigniting my interest in multiple characters. There remain a few irritations – chiefly Sketchy McCreeperson's Larys Strong's exaggerated telegraphing and unearned smugness – but overall I feel satisfied and look forward to tuning in for the continued dissolution of this big happy family.

And what a dragon scene!

Last edited:
Amazing episode. Probably the most awkward and tense funeral scene I've seen ever. Seeing the creation of Aemond One-Eye was also great, especially for those of us who have read Fire and Blood and know what is to come for him; very exciting as he becomes a major player in the Dance of Dragons.

Looking like another multi year time jump next week as the kids appear as young adults

Weird which characters get recast and which do not. Is was a bit jarring seeing Ser Christen Cole apparently not aging and looking the same while the princess and queen and family all age

They probably should have done a little more to age him

Amazing episode. Probably the most awkward and tense funeral scene I've seen ever.
And now we have the most awkward and tense family dinner!

Good episode. Paddy Considine did a masterful job.
Right? I love the range he covers going back and forth between confused and lucid states. It could've been so easy to turn in a one-note performance at this stage, but Viserys remains as complex in this episode as he was at the start of the series.

I only wish the CGI folks had dialed down the cheek wound or not shown it, because it's hard to believe Viserys would be capable of talking so clearly with exposed strings of muscle. Not as ridiculous as, say, Aaron Eckhart's Two-Face, but still a bit much.

Really solid storytelling overall, though. And next week looks like it's going to be a doozy!

Hey mods:

Since it turns out there are people who do care about this show, I wouldn't be against removing the poll and changing the title.
Or if you could tell me how to do it...

Thanks.

Since it turns out there are people who do care about this show, I wouldn't be against removing the poll and changing the title.
Or if you could tell me how to do it...
Much appreciated. It was a totally appropriate question to pose at the outset, but maybe a different title would attract more activity at this point.

To change the title, go to the drop-down menu at the upper-right with the horizontal line of three dots and select "edit thread." I'm not sure if that will also allow you to remove the poll, though; you may have to reach out to a moderator for that. Thanks!

Much appreciated. It was a totally appropriate question to pose at the outset, but maybe a different title would attract more activity at this point.

To change the title, go to the drop-down menu at the upper-right with the horizontal line of three dots and select "edit thread." I'm not sure if that will also allow you to remove the poll, though; you may have to reach out to a moderator for that. Thanks!
Title changed, but I don't see an option for removing the poll.
I'll try DMing Art.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back