HBO's House of the Dragon

What an episode tonight. Damn, that was some fine watching. I tried to watch Lord of the Rings and fell asleep through the first episode. I just watched episode 3 of House of the Dragon and I am ready to go back and watch it again.

I don't.
Do you?
I don't. I was an avid fan of the series until the one year delay on season 8. It didn't long for my interest to ebb away into apathy. I watched season 8 when it came out but it only added to my dissapointment. it was an ending that seemed rushed and uncreative. So this new series has no hold over me. But if I HAD to watch this series or the new LOTR series I think Game of Thrones is safe. It can't suck as bad.

What an episode tonight. Damn, that was some fine watching.
They really packed a lot into an hour. It's funny - the series as a whole so far feels really fast-paced, yet the individual episodes don't feel rushed despite the amount of material they cover.

I do think they're leaning a little heavy on the "rebellious princess" trope; there are few points when Viserys could have been justified yelling "seriously, did you grow up under a rock?! Royal intermarriage is kind of how dynasties WORK!"
But... that aside, there's a lot to like in the characters, the costumes and set design are top-notch, and I'm very much engaged in the plot to come.

“There be dragons here!”
That opening scene is fantastic. Maybe the darkness helps the CGI, but in any case, I thought it looked really good. The new dragon design is also really interesting - they're way more serpent-like than I remember from GOT, and somehow that makes their flight seem more believable to me.

I don't. I was an avid fan of the series until the one year delay on season 8. It didn't long for my interest to ebb away into apathy. I watched season 8 when it came out but it only added to my dissapointment. it was an ending that seemed rushed and uncreative. So this new series has no hold over me. But if I HAD to watch this series or the new LOTR series I think Game of Thrones is safe. It can't suck as bad.
For what it's worth, I felt the exact same way about the end of GOT, and I was initially fairly skeptical when HOTD was announced, but I'm really enjoying it overall. I think the combination of the change in showrunners, an already completed text, and (what at least sounds like) more direct involvement by GRRM has made a huge difference. No guarantee of course, but if you have HBO, it might be worth trying an episode or two in case.

Overall a strong fourth episode with another generous helping of nuance bringing extra dimension to several of the characters, especially Viserys. It’s refreshing to see situations where two opposing sides both have valid points and act rationally, or at least understandably, based on their particular mixture of self-interest and sense of moral duty without one needing to be “in the right” and the other “in the wrong” (though as a minor nitpick, I think the hat really should have stayed on). I must admit a few aspects of the Stepstones conflict from last week – principally the second dragon – struck me on further reflection as a bit logically problematic, but I was glad to swiftly move past that.

Speaking of moving past events, however… how much time goes by between Ep. 3 and 4?

Throughout the episode, it felt like maybe six months or so, yet in the after-credits segment, Miguel Sapochnik speaks of Viserys:
After being a very patient father for a very long time, two episodes’ worth – about six years in the interim – […]

SIX YEARS?

If I understand correctly, six months pass between Ep. 1 and Ep. 2; then three years pass between Ep. 2 and Ep. 3. Since Miguel refers to the six years as “two episodes’ worth,” it would seem that he’s only talking about the combined jump between Ep. 2 and Ep. 4, suggesting that three years must have passed between Ep. 3 and 4. But even if he’s including the entire show thus far, that still leaves two and a half years.

Has Rhaenyra really been on her courtship tour for two and a half to three years? If so, that’s QUITE the patience! And what has Daemon been doing all that time? Am I misconstruing something, or is it possible maybe Miguel just accidentally misspoke?

[Edit: Daemon remarks to Rhaenyra “you’ve matured yourself these last four years, princess.” So it seems within the context of the episode itself, only at most one further year has elapsed, and perhaps no more than six months if he's referring back to Ep. 1 and/or rounding up. I can only assume it was therefore a flub in the interview, but curious that no one apparently caught it.]

Last edited:
Alright, I've been watching this and, *********, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Much as I think George is terrible at managing his own time and has largely checked out of the book series, he created a terrific, interesting setting, and since we know how the story here ends, I don't really care how the show goes as long as it handles its characters well and doesn't faff about with stuff like ignoring geography. So far it hasn't, so that's cool by me.

I was grinding my brains to remember who Rhaenyra looks like. I know now:

chaka.gif

Great episode tonight

Things are definitely in motion now and the chain of events that follow

Time to start picking sides, house Red or Green?

Not that anyone important died, but very similar to Game of Thrones episode with Ned Starks death as terms of it being the pivotal point to set up the rest of the series now that the main characters and story has been laid out

I love how Viserys seemed more concerned with eating his lobster and everything else just seemed like a distraction to him
He is obliviously trying to feast and enjoy his daughter's wedding while everything is falling apart in front of him

Lot of tension building throughout and the music for that whole scene was perfect

and based on the trailer for the next episode...
We get a 10 year time jump. New actresses for both the Queen and Princess as well

I am surprised Viserys lived that many years though

Time to start picking sides, house Red or Green?
I think you mean Black or Green. ;) I’m leaning Green.

I thought almost all of the episode was great… except for nearly everything to do with Criston Cole. Aside from his interaction with Alicent – which I found perfectly reasonable – nothing in either his actions or others’ reactions to his actions really made much sense to me or felt at all consistent. I very much want to keep enjoying this series, but this episode’s treatment of his character is a bit concerning.

That being said, there was quite a lot to like in terms of the various powerplays at work. And I totally agree on the music in that scene.

I love how Viserys seemed more concerned with eating his lobster and everything else just seemed like a distraction to him
He is obliviously trying to feast and enjoy his daughter's wedding while everything is falling apart in front of him
As far as Viserys, I’m not sure I’d necessarily use the word oblivious exactly to describe him. I think it’s maybe more a situation of him knowing enough to know that he no longer has the strength / patience / self-confidence to deal with knowing any more than he already does. So he is going a bit in the ignorance is bliss direction, but I think he’s aware that he’s doing so willfully. My take anyway.

Still looking forward to seeing how next week goes (though you also raise a fair point regarding Viserys’s condition).

Hey! What’s with the music?
I think what Analyzer was referring to is just that it set a great tone for the rising tensions at the wedding - kind of a mix of foreboding and tragic. There's actually a variety of music in the scene since it also involves diagetic song-playing, but there's one melody in particular that coincides with the realization that the overriding conflict of the series has essentially reached its first point-of-no-return, and it seems to fit perfectly (even if I'm not entirely happy with the scene as a whole).

I think what Analyzer was referring to is just that it set a great tone for the rising tensions at the wedding - kind of a mix of foreboding and tragic. There's actually a variety of music in the scene since it also involves diagetic song-playing, but there's one melody in particular that coincides with the realization that the overriding conflict of the series has essentially reached its first point-of-no-return, and it seems to fit perfectly (even if I'm not entirely happy with the scene as a whole).
Exactly!

I still didn't vote in the thread's poll, but to be honest I don't feel any connection with any of the characters in HOTD. Maybe I don't see the different and interesting journeys that were present on so many GOT characters (though there are some good actors present in HOTD), maybe I'm missing the common folk in the series, maybe everything is on a hurry, I don't know.

Character wise, Criston Cole has been the one I care about most

I also empathize with Viserys. He genuinely cares for his family and keeping peace, plus his commitment to his daughter is nice to see, but he is not a very good king otherwise. However it is obvious he is not going to be around much longer

I am starting to see Alicent as a sympathetic character as well.

Everyone else at this point is a schemer or just not very likeable

Things may change though

In Game of Thrones there were many characters who I started out hating, but redeemed themselves, or became someone you rooted for

Think how much people hated Jamie or the Hound early on and by the end had become fan favorites

I think that is one of the aspects I like most about this world Martin has set up

Not al characters are cut and dry heroes or villains.

To be fair, I was not drawn in by the first episode alone or even by the second episode

Although by the third I started becoming more invested, and this past one really has me hooked in now as most of the setup has now started to pay off

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back