Have at Thee!! - The Mighty Mjolnir Build

CrimsonComedian

I recently embarked upon a quest to forge the Thor's hammer Mjolnir. There are many different options when making Mjolnir and I've seen so many great ones online. For mine I chose a solid wood base because I wanted it to feel heavy but not so heavy that you cannot lift it. One thing you have to consider is that you don't want the weight of the top of the hammer cause the handle to snap. Another option could be a hollow wood frame and expandable foam filling for sturdiness. Once I put everything together I carved the wood into the shape I wanted. I would recommend trying this on layers of insulation foam first to ensure that your cuts will produce the desired shape. I made the mistake of not doing this but was able to for the most part fix it with a saw and sand paper but it's still slightly noticeable. The angles seem really simple but if you just cut away and don't take the time to plan it out you might face a few unforeseen challenges. I'm sure for many the detailing is a breeze but this was only my third project and the first of with complicated detailing (the inscription) I tried a bunch of things. I first learned that my engraving skills are terrible. Next I tried foam which you see in the pictured but I felt it was too soft (although aesthetically it looked good). Finally, I went back to what I was comfortable with...cardboard. I printed out the inscription, traced it onto cardboard, and glued it onto the hammer. Then I had to paint it and this is where I ran into difficulty, :cry and :angry. I used a standard primer and wanted to paint it chrome because I love the hammers that are reflective. When I used the chrome automotive paint. The sheen wore off when I touched it with my hands. So I decided to put a clear coat over it to protect it from being worn off but when I did this it ruined the chrome effect and made it look dull gray. After realizing I used different brands I used the same brand of everything and the same thing happened. For now I have flat gray hammer which I'm kind of happy with but if anyone has any advice on how to get the chrome effect please let me know because I've tried so many different techniques but have yet to find one I'm happy with and that works.

As always any constructive criticism is welcomed as I'm always looking to improve. Especially constructive criticism on the chrome effect.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

English on Thor's hammer?

From the first appearance of Mjolnir in Journey into Mystery #83:
jitm83_iamthor.png

To get chrome there are some paint systems that mimic chrome, but they're obviously not chrome when looked at up close. It's basically a multiple-stage spray-paint system. You can possibly send it off to be properly chromed, but I can't even guess what that would cost. And I'm not sure if wood and/or cardboard can even be chromed or whether it would survive the experience. A cheap option is to use foil ducting tape (not duct tape). It's a special tape used for sealing ducts as a replacement for duct tape. It's very shiny and has a strong adhesive on the back. Really strong. Practice applying it before the final application as it's not forgiving to mistakes. You can find it at any home improvement store in the HVAC section. If you're careful with applying it the seams can be lined up and it can look like one piece of chromed metal.
414X-Lyj1jL.jpg
Adam Savage demonstrated its use on a video for tested, where he customized a wooden sword. I've only used it for its intended purpose of sealing duct work.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back