Has anyone else fallen out of love with Doctor Who?

So, Amazon had season 13 for $10 for the six episode series. I watched it and was completely flat after doing so.

I didn’t care about any of the characters or what happened to them. The story was so grandiose and convoluted that it made no sense, the scope of the entire universe collapsing in on itself was stupid and again, solved in the last 5 minutes.

I’m out! It used to be my favorite show, but I don’t even recognize it any more.

yeah
it really ended with matt smith and trenzalore for me ( and the 50th anv episode )
its not that i didnt like peter capaldi but it just didnt feel right after matt for me
#whojumpedtheshark
and i cant even watch the last run of stuff ---

i have been a life long fan starting with that scarf ( he says with a smile and a hand full of jelly babies ) and the forth doctor with my dad

The last genesis of the cyberman arch was pretty magic for me. After Capaldi took over, it's been crap. I really hope RTD can get it back on track

I liked Capaldi as the Doctor but aside from a handful of episodes the stories were just plain bad. I did not like how he became a taxi driver for his companion and she never really traveled with him like the others did, she just went on an adventurous vacation holiday with him at times and kept her regular job. Capaldi had the gravitas the wildness of the Doctor but without a good script to use it was a wasted incarnation.

I watched the first couple of episodes of 'Flux' and felt it was very uneven. Some great SFX mixed in with Saturday morning TV H.R. Pufnstuf level scenes. Lots of things going on but I just did not care that much. It is a bad sign when the rest of the shows are available to watch but I just never get around to doing so. One positive note- it was not as "Woke-Preachy" as the past season

solved in the last 5 minutes.

I’m out! It used to be my favorite show, but I don’t even recognize it any more.

I feel like "solved in the last five min" started with Smith.

but it has become like a close basketball game, just watch the last five min

Edit: Now I am getting flashbacks of an M Night Shalyman (sp?) movie like that, where they try everyone's hairbrained ideas. Lady in the Water, I think.

Last edited:
Been going through the recent season, and it's been a slog, as it has been for a while. I'm just not crazy about Whittaker's Doctor. It just feels like she's just barely holding it together most of the time. She puts up a brave front when confronting the baddies, but the rest of the time she's rather less than inspiring. I wouldn't feel like I was in good hands if I was a companion.

And before anyone wonders, I'm okay with a lady Doctor. I love Fugitive Doctor, and wish they'd give her a season or two.

(obligatory "have Sean Pertwee play #3 for a year or two" plea here)

My wife just told me yesterday that she's glad we dropped Doctor Who, based on what she read about the latest season. How idiotic is that?

My wife stopped watching when Capaldi left.. I stopped watching when they made the Doctor no longer Gallifreyan.
That revelation was one step too far for me and I haven't watched a second beyond.

So, Amazon had season 13 for $10 for the six episode series. I watched it and was completely flat after doing so.

I didn’t care about any of the characters or what happened to them. The story was so grandiose and convoluted that it made no sense, the scope of the entire universe collapsing in on itself was stupid and again, solved in the last 5 minutes.

You're very right.

I watched that on BBCA and from the first episode it was like 'WTH are you doing??' The added characters seemed largely pointless and never really added anything. The Passengers just seemed a stupid methodology to solve the end.

This seemed like a 13 or more arc that got cut down to 6, but i've been told elsewhere that's all he ever wanted for any season, including this...6...

And then, uh, the end....I don't get. I don't know if they just explained it poorly, didn't think it through, or didn't care. Possibly all three..

I want to say Chibnall thinks he's a whole lot smarter than he really is. If this is what he turned in, he damned well should be fired outright and now allowed to just 'leave'.

So uh..

So, the dog people (i forget the name) covered earth at the outset because after the flux it was basically all that was left of the universe. We find out division is wiping out this universe to move their ego power control complex to the next universe. **Doctor makes it to Division which is 'between universes' (literally, not figuratively) and goes back to this universe to save it. To save it, moves what looked to be millions of Daleks, Cybermen, and Sontarans to where the final flux wave is going to appear and seemingly commits triple genocide.

Then facing off against the big bad purple guy after that, we find out purple guy has a superior (who acts very much like a black/white guardian from years past) and this new purple guy who looks identical to the other one, tells purple guy 1 he's basically an idiot and wipes him and his girl from existence it seems. Tells the doctor, no big deal...i don't care about you, you're about to die for good any how and leaves.

At which point we have our happy goodbyes like everything is good now, but, all that was theoretically left of the universe was earth, not much more. I never caught anything that undid the flux. The ** is basically the starting point of the last 5 minutes, everything i wrote after that occurred in the last 5-10 minutes of a 6+ hour story....yeah.

I love Hartnel through Smith. Capaldi was a good actor, and could have been brilliant if they hadn’t made him Clara’s companion and lap dog.

All the new stuff is just tripe.

And if the Daleks get beat EVERY TIME, are they really such a threat?

I can echo pretty much everything that's been posted here about the last 2 seasons.

I WILL however, give Davies a fair shake. His time with 9 & 10 is what made me care about DW again, so I feel I owe the character at least that much. LOL

I was surprised to learn season 13 recently dropped…just shows how much I’ve been paying to attention…

I suppose we’ll give it a shot over the break, but I certainly don’t have high expectations.

Hoping Davies gets this ship uprighted…

Sean

I love Hartnel through Smith. Capaldi was a good actor, and could have been brilliant if they hadn’t made him Clara’s companion and lap dog.

All the new stuff is just tripe.

And if the Daleks get beat EVERY TIME, are they really such a threat?
The problem there is that every time they show up they seem to be on a universal conquest mission. If they don't get beat , they take over the world/universe. Can't have that. They need dalek stories that aren't as huge. It's acceptable for them to destroy a space station or new settlement or something. Which of course, is part of the problem. It's become way to earth centric so everything has to threaten the earth. Hopefully that's Davies new rule or something. 1-2 stories on earth a year, max. What's the point of having a machine that travels in time and space if you never use the space part?

Except that Davies whole thing was Everything happens on Earth. In his 5 years I think only twice were his stories off Earth. The planet of the Ood and that planet with the flying sting rays.

Except that Davies whole thing was Everything happens on Earth. In his 5 years I think only twice were his stories off Earth. The planet of the Ood and that planet with the flying sting rays.
And, based on what I heard at least, there wasn't anywhere but Earth for anyone to go...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back