Harry Potter Nursery - making props and items inspired by HP

Not to defend her since I have a few other problems with this thread, but it's a flippin baby. It ain't gonna remember or care. Besides, most recent adults I know still have the furniture they started with as kids. I'd kill to have that armoire instead of my perfectly white, ultra girly, badly constructed gossum furniture. I've never understood the whole "babies=pastels" thing. (I also don't understand baby talk.)
Astrokid248 - Agreed. All my sister's white/honey colored baby furniture fell apart in the first year or so. She replaced everything constantly with her 5 kids.

If I'd had a place to store my gorgeous Ethan Allen set so I didn't have to lug it to one of my many tiny and crappy apartments, I would have it to this day and it would actually be in baby's room. I am also probably using the owls as a major theme point too Astrokid. I have figurines, a little ceramic bank, metal ones, stuffed ones, pictures/paintings of them.... maybe the little one will keep them into their later years too.

To all posters here -

This is just supposed to be a super fun thing for me to do for our little one. I get to concentrate on it while I try and get through the nauseating first trimester and transition to the second which will hopefully start to be a little more fun and less tiring. If I have offended anyone with any of my posts, I did not mean to. I don't always realize what I say right now with pregnancy brain. Heck, half the time I don't know what I said 5 minutes ago! ;)

But I thank each and every one of you for your suggestions and tips. They are most appreciated. There are many things I simply won't think of. I hope that by showing what I'm doing, I can help someone else create their own room or one for someone else with the level of attention to detail and care that I'm doing my best to do. It's all in good fun! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think owls are great. Fits the universe, can be adorable or badass, and you can make a big fluffy one for a pillow. (I wasn't meaning to imply anything in regards to the dragon stuff, when I mentioned it I was only trying to show support for not using clichéd teddy bears!)
Final dumb suggestion: if it's a boy or a tomboyish girl and they still like Harry Potter as they grow, a replica Sword of Gryffindor hanging in owl/phoenix claws (like http://www.designtoscano.com/produc...ll+sculptures+-+ng32489.do?sortby=bestSellers but, you know, bird claws instead) would be pretty sweet. OH. That's what's missing, Fawkes! A big plushie Fawkes chilling with the owls.

I think owls are great. Fits the universe, can be adorable or badass, and you can make a big fluffy one for a pillow. (I wasn't meaning to imply anything in regards to the dragon stuff, when I mentioned it I was only trying to show support for not using clichéd teddy bears!)
Final dumb suggestion: if it's a boy or a tomboyish girl and they still like Harry Potter as they grow, a replica Sword of Gryffindor hanging in owl/phoenix claws (like Talons of the Dunheviel Dragon Wall Sculptures - NG32489 - Design Toscano but, you know, bird claws instead) would be pretty sweet. OH. That's what's missing, Fawkes! A big plushie Fawkes chilling with the owls.
Astrokid248 - I love those claws!!! So neat. I think Daddy will make that happen for little one down the road somewhere if they want it. He actually got a sword as a wedding gift from one of his best friends. Little one is probably going to like them too.

I'm not a teddy bear baby room fan either... I have always made my rooms as unique as possible even when money was SUPER tight. Which it was for all of my middle childhood years. I'm really hoping baby likes this room. But if they get older and want a change sooner than later, then mommy gets all of it just for her! ;) It will work out in the end.

OH!!! Do you mean a Fawkes plush like this: IMG_0182 (Small).JPG We got him from Universal! Best looking version I've seen yet.

Hey HPMom, I want to emphasize that I didn't mean any of it was bad, heck I LOVE the idea of what you're doing (my sister is convinced she wants to decorate her future baby's room with things from game of thrones lol...

I didn't mean dark as in evil or grungy, I just wanted to make sure there would be some bright items in the room with bright colors... not just shades of brown so that baby (and mommy) had some happy feeling contrast.

Now that you have described more of the Gryffindor color scheme, I have a better idea of what you meant... and it sounds awesome!

Sorry if I came accross like I was nit picking... :(

Enjoy your fun time in the room!

;)

(my sister is convinced she wants to decorate her future baby's room with things from game of thrones lol...
A little shelf with spiked heads :) Dragon eggs....the baby crib is made in the style of the Iron throne and a fluffy White walker sits in a corner of the room.. and the walls of the room is made to look like the "Wall"

Hey HPMom, I want to emphasize that I didn't mean any of it was bad, heck I LOVE the idea of what you're doing (my sister is convinced she wants to decorate her future baby's room with things from game of thrones lol...

I didn't mean dark as in evil or grungy, I just wanted to make sure there would be some bright items in the room with bright colors... not just shades of brown so that baby (and mommy) had some happy feeling contrast.

Now that you have described more of the Gryffindor color scheme, I have a better idea of what you meant... and it sounds awesome!

Sorry if I came accross like I was nit picking... :(

Enjoy your fun time in the room!

;)
@Paterateama - You managed to catch me at PRIME pregnancy hormone over load time of day. ;) Defensive crazyness ensues... All the furniture is what we're dealing with now and then the fun decorating with Gryffindor banners, posters, and what not comes after everything is in place. I think we're almost done with the perfect furniture, just deciding on one or two things. I can't even imagine a GoT room! Contec - I'd probably kill myself on that crib trying to lay the baby down! I like the dragon side of it though. They are nifty. But then there have been few movies/shows where I haven't liked the dragons!

I found the last few bottle I'll need at Michaels along with some tiny little birdcages that I'll put a frog(no toads here thanks!) in and some of the little figurine owls I have. They will be on a shelf up high or in the locked cabinet. I also found a doll trunk that could easily be made to pass for a school trunk. Just need to change the color and put the Hogwarts symbol on it...and baby's initials when we know what they'll be!

IMG_0249 (Small).JPGIMG_0250 (Small).JPGIMG_0251 (Small).JPG

Empty potions bottles in their permanent home. They just need to be filled. The crystal ball bases might get a coat of paint. Particularly the brown and yellow one. The cage is about 1.5 feet tall and about 9 inches wide. It'll be the home of the pixies when they arrive on Friday after I fasten some wings to them.

Next up is fully cleaning out the room and then arranging the furniture in a temporary set up. Then pulling things away from the wall and covering them so paint can happen. I think we'll stick with the beige color but go a shade or two darker to simulate the castle walls. I wanted to try doing bricks/stones but since this isn't a permanent home, we'll either fake it with wallpaper or save that for later down the road if little one gets attached to this theme.

Very nice work!! Very much captures the spirit of Harry Potter
ecl - Thanks! I'm doing my best. :D

Wallpaper will probably be easier as you said until there a little older and decide if they like the theme or not.
Strickler - I really want to do wallpaper but I don't think it's in the budget. The lowest I've found is $45 a roll and we need 2.5 to do one wall and there's too many actual baby items to buy. (lol) With the furniture and pictures and other accessories, we may not have much wall space for it anyway. I'll get a better idea of it once the room is empty and the furniture is in there alone. I feel like putting too much effort into any one thing isn't worth it in case baby wants room changed earlier than later. Although castle walls(in our purchased home!) could go for many specific themes, not just HP. We'll just have to see. (I'm definitely keeping your thought of theme that can grow with baby in my head...) We may end up getting one of those adhesive pictures from the harrypotterwallart site since they are removable. That way if baby doesn't like it later, mommy can snag it for HER craft room! ;)

Strickler - I really want to do wallpaper but I don't think it's in the budget. The lowest I've found is $45 a roll and we need 2.5 to do one wall and there's too many actual baby items to buy. (lol) With the furniture and pictures and other accessories, we may not have much wall space for it anyway. I'll get a better idea of it once the room is empty and the furniture is in there alone. I feel like putting too much effort into any one thing isn't worth it in case baby wants room changed earlier than later. Although castle walls(in our purchased home!) could go for many specific themes, not just HP. We'll just have to see. (I'm definitely keeping your thought of theme that can grow with baby in my head...) We may end up getting one of those adhesive pictures from the harrypotterwallart site since they are removable. That way if baby doesn't like it later, mommy can snag it for HER craft room! ;)[/QUOTE]

Haha, reusable stuff is always the best.

Candle Lamps Before and After but not done PS.jpg

Got some more work done on the candle lamps. I bought the candle bulbs and proceeded to add the wax drips and then start painting. Once they are all finished they will get a nice coat of sealer. I LOVE how they are looking now. This is really what I imagined in my head so YAY!

I finally have some progress to post for the nursery! I'll be hanging the scarves above the crib today and doing some other decoration stuff. I'm not sure the potions cabinet will have a home in there but we'll see. I've taken a few things out of it to do some mock ups on the shelves to give me an idea of what I want. I added unicorns to the theme because we're having a girl and I've always loved them. Take a look!IMG_2102 (Medium).JPGIMG_2113 (Medium).JPGIMG_2105 (Medium).JPG

1468775_10201009619184186_894010329_n.jpgIMG_2177 (Medium).JPG

Her Harry Potter scarf and broom up on her wall. And her name sign surrounded by framed images of the Hogwarts houses and the coat of arms above it. Her name was done in the HP font and that is a Nimbus broom beneath it.

Name sign is above the crib and the scarf is on the opposite wall.

Last edited:
IMG_4166 (Medium).JPG

The orange ball with eyes up top is her Crookshanks, next to it in the cage is a cornish pixie. The 2nd shelf has a photo of the whomping willow in different seasons, a Hedwig owl, and candle stuff. The 3rd shelf has a Mad Eye Moody figure, her Ford Anglia toy, and a photo of Hedwig.

This shelf is to the right of her crib on the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 187
IMG_416 (2).JPG

This is the top shelf of her dresser/bookshelf. There's a HP bookend, a framed pic of Fawkes sitting on her Hogwarts trunk that contains her HP trinkets and wizard cards, a crystal ball, her two caged owls, a HP snowglobe from Sorcerer's Stone, her new Hogwarts school books boxed set, and an owl nightlight.

I absolutely adore how her room is turning out. She's only 6 weeks old now but I'm sure she'll love this when she gets a bit older!

Attachments

• IMG_416.JPG
    IMG_416.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
IMG_391.JPG

Her Gryffindor Christmas tree in golf and red. Hanging in the middle is her musical Hogwarts castle ornament. I'm making ornaments tonight and tomorrow of the books. I'll be making some of the books mentioned in the books too like Hogwarts a History and others. This tree will be in her room next year and will have much better ornaments!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back