Harry Potter "moving" painting?...

If you recorded each action, (sitting, getting up, walking out then in ect) as different video clips and just made sure they had a consistant start and end image then you could connect up your laptop and just put the clips on shuffle then different actions could randomly appear but smoothly connected :)

Ding ding ding I think we have a winner!

They did/do a similar thing in many point and click adventure games (Journeyman, Myst...) where they would have a static scene and an actor or actors that interacted inside the scene. In most cases, there was an "idle" animation (such as a character sitting at a desk, writing, occasionally flipping a page or dipping quill in ink) and then there would be actions (leaning back, standing and stretching, walking off screen for a moment and returning with more paper or something). This kind of footage would be easy to generate, and could be stitched together with any of several different tools (heck, Flash might be able to manage it).

Hi! I'm from Italy (bad english... sorry)
Maybe you know where I can find on "youtube" a video of someone acting like an ancient wizard, or similar (you know what I mean), that I can use going on loop like a living portrait? I'm preparing an HP party for my child. I going to make one by myself, but maybe there's already something cute on the net. By the moment I've found only some group making "moving photo", not so bad, but not so good :)
thanks!!!!!!! :)

On a recent trip to HARRY POTTER WORLD at Universal Studios in Florida, I noticed some cool "moving" paintings in line on one of the HP rides.

It got me thinking that this couldn't be that hard to replicate. I've got a wall at my house that I have access to from behind. Mount a LCD TV vertically and frame it out on the display side and it's done.

I've attached a crappy pic that shows the style but didn't capture the video image.

They even gave the TV screen kind of a "wash" with a crackled old look to make it go with the frame.

How hard would this be to do? Anybody ever do one or have any advice?

brad
How did this project go? Im trying to do something similar, so would love to hear how you did! :D

There should be digital picture frames that can show videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
It never "materialized." :D

I still think it's a great idea, and with the price of TVs constantly dropping I think it's doable now more than ever.

Post here if you do one!

Re: Harry Potter "moving" painting?...

...Sounds like a lot of hassle and expense for something that won't get much use. ...

I had to burst out laughing when I read this comment :lol

Take a second and think about it AL ;)
WHICH of the countless props, that were/ are/ will be build and posted on the RPF will get "much use" :lol ???
Everything will be stored in cabinets, put on shelves, descs and even be stored away in boxes. So where is the actual USE? :)

A -moving- HP-style picture is just as useful as any other prop IMHO
darthwhitey :
if you want it, GO for it. Maybe think of a way to have the setup motion activated, so that you don´t have to turn it on/ off manually all the time. And don´t forget to put it in an intricate, gold leafed frame :)

- - - Updated - - -

There should be digital picture frames that can show videos.

there are several! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be so easily done. Tv’s are cheap now, so overhead would be low. Go have a clear sheet of acetate printed with a faint canvas pattern on it, very light and transparent. Then use some acrylic painting clear gel medium, and just paint random brush strokes on the acetate. They will dry clear but with lighting and viewing angles, you will see impressions of brush strokes. Then have a frame cut to size. Make sure you have an outlet wired into the wall behind the TV so you see no wires. You can also run audio video cable through wall to a hidden location, or if it is a smart tv, you can stream the video content from a phone or computers. Then you just film anything you want and you are good to go. The video can be edited so that there are still images for stretches and then moving around or leaving screen for a while.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back