Harry Potter Hogwarts Express Train Display and Model Hogwarts- Lots of Pics

ydna

Hi everyone, thought I would share a project I am working on! I got a Hogwarts Express train from Harry Potter a few years ago and I thought it would be cool to combine replica props, models, and the train into one tabletop display. I sketched out some ideas a couple of years ago, but left it until now. If you are interested in the process or have some cool ideas, feel free to follow the progress. (Might be lots of pics, fair warning. It also might take me a while; I don't have many of the props yet and will have to make a few more. But I wanted to start this thread now if I have some questions or if I need some help, you guys are the experts!

Here are the sketches, kinda went crazy with the filters to make it more Marauder Mappy, but you get the idea of what I'm going for: a diorama of each movie with key items, train around and castle on top. I didn't sketch Deathly Hallows BTW, I couldn't think of a good configuration. These will likely change as I get into it, but it's a good starting point.

Cheers!

hptain_smoke2.jpg
hptitle_smoke.jpghpsorcstone_smoke.jpghpchambsecret_smoke.jpghpprisazkaban_smoke.jpghpgoblet_smoke.jpghporderpheonix_smoke.jpghphogsmeade_smoke.jpghphalfbloodprince_smoke.jpg

Update #1

I am finished with the main train table, took a piece of 4'x8' 3/4"plywood, cut it down to 4 x 6, rounded corner off and cut in half (I wanted to make everything so I could break it down and store it if need be). Covered the top with a piece of foam insulation (cuts down on train noise) and then covered that with dark wood laminate peel and stick flooring. Edged the sides with an iron on birch veneer and painted all the undersides black. Put green tape to mark where track would go, just a circle, not enough room for anything more exciting. Finally found an old claw-foot table on sale at a flea market, tool the top off, sanded and painted black to match table, added casters,and attached it to the bottom.

table1.jpgtable2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The table is 4 feet by 6 feet, 33" high, eventually will be about 60" high with the castle on top.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back