Harry Potter - Gringotts Bank Vault Key! Need Input!

shadeone

So I was watching Harry Potter and the Philosophers / Sorcerers Stone the other day and realized that I never saw any replicas of the key that Hagrid pulls out when they first go to Gringotts Bank to get Harry some money. Here are some pictures from my TV. I dont have a blu-ray player on my computer so this is the best I could do (anyone want to get me some clearer shots??)

rX5Yhk.png

Z4SGYS.png

NYhQCK.png

DADFLY.png

some screens showing the teeth:
cdzwkf.png

PWgnbQ.png

NA8mcn.png

Now, as part of the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter section of teh Universal Studios theme park down in Orlando, a certain number of special guests got invited to a special private opening using a "replica" of the key as a little souvenir. It looks like it MAY be a cast of the original but there still appear to be some things that are slightly off...
BuLNp9.png

I did find some blank replicas of keys that look similar to the keys above but if you put them side by side with the movie screen caps, there are still things that are off...
pic_1.jpg

E7P5Eu.png

Here is everything side by side:
BOgwr7.png

Also keep in mind that one side of the key seems to be a mirrored back side image of the other... Look at the two arrows here:
K2TNiS.png

The one on the left appears to be behind the main bar, but the one on the right appears to be in front... if that makes sense.

I found a 3D modeller on Shapeways that appears to do REALLY good work with fancy skeleton keys and sent all this info to them and they came up with a preliminary drawing:
1pmoT7.jpg

G24nqe.jpg

We need input to make this the most accurate replica of the key!! I have linked the modeler to this thread and he will be awaiting any feedback or input!!!! The finished product will be available on Shapeways!
Thanks in advance!

It looks like you are on the right track. Knowing what I do about productions, I would bet that they started with an existing key like the ones you found and added the teeth to look the way they wanted. Film productions don't want to spend $$ designing everything from scratch or else their production costs would go crazy.

It looks like you are very close.

Thats exactly what I was thinking too! Ive found so many skeleton key blanks that are soooo close, but none of them match the screen one perfectly....

i'm with duncanator on this....they probably did just use and existing key then cut off parts they didn't like and add other things to it then cast it.

I just ordered ten of these:
2GFfacz.jpgLQ7IeAK.jpg
I think I can file and manipulate this pretty close to what you are talking about... I'll keep you posted. Great Idea!

Attachments

• TeAh5bu.jpg
    TeAh5bu.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 161
So my order of ten keys came in and I bought a metal file kit. I was able to work it down a bit so that it looks more like the one seen in the film:
4eB5tW2.jpg
Here is a comparison between how the keys look before and after the filing down:
iCf7IJv.jpg2QV03UT.jpg
Its strange though... as I worked on it today it went from very gold to bronzy just due to the handleing I guess. I am considering adding some wax to make it really resemble the screen used prop and then casting... we"ll see. If anyone has suggestions let me know. Also, any cool ideas for adding the Vault number? Thanks for the great idea shadeone!

you'll have to file off one of the rings to make it screen accurate there are only 2 not 3
key.jpg

So my order of ten keys came in and I bought a metal file kit. I was able to work it down a bit so that it looks more like the one seen in the film:
View attachment 441840
Here is a comparison between how the keys look before and after the filing down:
View attachment 441841View attachment 441842
Its strange though... as I worked on it today it went from very gold to bronzy just due to the handleing I guess. I am considering adding some wax to make it really resemble the screen used prop and then casting... we"ll see. If anyone has suggestions let me know. Also, any cool ideas for adding the Vault number? Thanks for the great idea shadeone!

Oh no doubt. In fact it will have to look more like this:
ts5yX3h.png
I edited the photo to include only two rings so that it looks more like the original and green line representing where I still need to file out. Not to mention I will have to add an entirely different tooth on the end as the keys I have are far too small. anyone know a member who is good at small welding or metal mold making they would recommend me reaching out to?

I too bought a bunch of keys a long time ago. I have the right one somewhere. A bunch of us had figured it out years ago, but I can't find the post.

you don't need a welder....all you need is some sculpting tools and some epoxy putty and bang you can make it your self.
if you intend on making a mold make sure the putty doesn't have any sulfur in it.....sulfur keeps silicone from curing.
i can cast stuff in pewter....but i wont be able to do other metals until i can get the money up for my forging kiln....(of which i hope to buy after doing my knockturn alley sign run in the junkyard wink wink:ninja)

Oh no doubt. In fact it will have to look more like this:
View attachment 441875
I edited the photo to include only two rings so that it looks more like the original and green line representing where I still need to file out. Not to mention I will have to add an entirely different tooth on the end as the keys I have are far too small. anyone know a member who is good at small welding or metal mold making they would recommend me reaching out to?

Juno, let me know if you do come across the post!

apvandergriff, im excited to see more progress with the metal file work! looking good so far!!

the rest of you... the model is complete!!! should be easy to find on shapeways (not my product)...

625x465_3141781_9230129_1424981617.jpg

Oh that is very pretty. Beautiful object! Your modeler did an excellent job. I'm going to shape ways this second to check it out. Shadeone, Have you ordered one yet?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back