Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Display

Jm419

Sr Member
Here's my current low budget project; the three Deathly Hallows from Harry Potter.

The Invisibility Cloak and the Elder Wand are both doable; I've gotten some silvery cloth for the Cloak which I'll use for backing in a small shadow box, (doing the book version, not the hideous movie prop), and I'll be getting one of HeirofOlivander's excellent wooden wands. That leaves the Resurrection Stone, probably the one out of the bunch that there doesn't seem to be a good version of.

The movie prop doesn't seem to have much reference (which will change then the DVD comes out, but for now...), so I'm going for the feel of the piece rather than the perfect accurate prop. So, for now, this is what I've got:

Photoon2011-08-07at1828.jpg

Photoon2011-08-07at1826.jpg

A gem known as smoky quartz; this particular specimen is a square cut stone which measures 20mm by 20mm by 12mm, and weighs in at some 32.53 carats. It's a big, beautiful stone, and though it's a bit big to have in a ring, the shot which I liked the stone in best was the scene in the forest where Harry drops this on the ground; and it looked big. So, I'm getting a bigger one, with the intention to get the feel of the prop right. It'll also look better in the display.

What's kind of interesting about this specimen is that it changes colors. In the photos above, it appears brownish, but against backing, it looks almost grey or black. Look at this, here:

Photoon2011-08-07at18262.jpg

That's a quarter, for scale.

Photoon2011-08-07at1827.jpg

Photoon2011-08-07at18272.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to do the symbol. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Re: Resurrection Stone WIP

You could try one of those places that use a laser to make pictures/logos inside clear blocks. I've seen them at the mall. No idea if the blocks are glass, plastic, crystal, but they 'draw' inside of them.

Ok. I was actually thinking something a bit less permanent; maybe a sticker on the backside of the gem? The etching is a good idea, though; and if the cut is inside the gem in the film, then that could work out really well.

I agree, very very cool. I also was taken aback at the director's choice of props considering the descriptions in the novels

Oh wow. This is absolutely excellent. Would you be selling these at a later point? I would love one!. Great Job! On the Noble Collection Horcrux ring i have, it broke in half ._. What i saw when it was broken in half was the symbol (maybe a sticker) on the bottom half of the piece, whick made it show when looking at the top of it. Hope that this helps a little!

-dobbyisfree

Last edited:

Then the second brother, who was an arrogant man, decided he wanted to humiliate Death still further, and asked for the power to recall others from Death. So Death picked up a stone from the riverbank and gave it to the second brother, and told him the stone would have the power to bring back the dead.

I've always pictured it as more of a river rock than a gemstone.

Re: Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows WIP - Elder Wand COMPLETE

All righty. This thread has now been turned into my Deathly Hallows WIP thread, with the addition of this new piece:

Photoon2011-10-02at1656.jpg

The Elder Wand. This started life literally as an elder branch; we just had a tree fall in the woods near my home, and after a quick leaf ID, I discovered it was Elder. What a windfall... ha ha ha.

Anyway, I really like that this is an authentic Elder Wand, but the problem is, Elder actually is a fairly reddish-white wood - a lot like oak is before it's stained. Onscreen, they appear to have stained it so that it shows up better... or something.

So, I followed their example and stained mine. All this took was a few hours on the lathe - though I was sure I was going to snap it off, I managed not to break it - and then white paint and a Sharpie marker to make some runes on the grip.

Photoon2011-10-02at16562.jpg

These runes aren't perfectly screen accurate - gleaned from the low resolution shots I could find - but I did find an example at least resembling all five runes on the handle, so they all have a reasonably accurate pedigree.

This one's the only one I'm certain of, though:

Photoon2011-10-02at16592.jpg

This turned out to be a pain to make, but in the end, it's a very satisfying prop, even if it's not 100% accurate. The elder wood I found was very dry, so instead of including all the holes there are on the prop - which would have split the wood - I included enough for a suggestion of them.

Photoon2011-10-02at1702.jpg

All in all, a pretty reasonable replica, I'd say. Let me know what you think!

No Harry Potter fans here? Bumping this for some feedback.

The Onscreen Elder wand was made of resin. IIRC they have not made the wands using wood since the first film. But still, that's a very nice looking elder wand!!

The Onscreen Elder wand was made of resin. IIRC they have not made the wands using wood since the first film. But still, that's a very nice looking elder wand!!

Yep - that's exactly why mine couldn't be 100% accurate; material constraints. Still, I like the actual feeling of knowing it's real elder in the wand. Sure, the knobs are a bit bigger than onscreen, and the holes aren't as obvious, but hey - it's real wood.

Yeah, I always thought anyone who could replicate the elder wand in wood was a genius!
Have you seen the Elder wand from Alivans?

I have. Not a bad wand, for sure, but mine's a little closer to SA. I just went and made myself feel bad looking at other Elder Wands people have made, but looking at mine again - well, it isn't too bad.

Hey, at the end of the day, at least you made your own elder wand which looks and acts like it's meant to! :lol

Yeah. I may still decide to make some changes to it. We'll have to see... I might just try for some more holes in it after all.

Your elder wand is pretty awesome! I love the fact that it's acutally made from Elder wood, if I had a way to get to any I would try the same thing! Well Done!

I've actually made some updates, so it looks much older. I'll post new photos tonight.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back