Happy Halloween - Preview of Universal Monsters Replicas Coming In 2012

Factory Ent.

Official Licensee
001a.jpg

Hey All -
I actually sculpted the creature hand for Factory, and if you want to see a larger pic, and read a bit about the man who sculpted it for universal, I have set myself up a page on facebook where I will start posting my professional and personal projects - You can see the pics and Read about the artist there (Mind you I JUST started this - Its bare bones but I learned so much about the hand itself in my research that I wanted a place to put it all, as I get around to it!)

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Wow! I've been waiting for something like these to come along for quite a while now. Love the old Universal Monster movies. Please keep us updated guys! :thumbsup

Just curious, but why was an original sculpt done of the Creature fossil? Would Bob Burns not allow his to be cast up?

Anxious to see this one. I have the Greyzon, but it is very undersized. What are the dims on the new version?

Just thought I'd bump this thread to see if there had been any progress made yet. Any updates guys? I'm definitely looking forward to some of these items.

I checked out the sneak preview on the FB page, but I'm still wondering why the casting Bob Burns has couldn't have been cast up or scanned.

I've seen pics of him holding it. The thing is huge.

The sculpt is nice work, but I don't think the original had all that texturing going on. No disrespect intended, but everything I've seen makes me think it looked like bare bone. It was a low budget 50's B-film, and they wouldn't have had the money or inclination to put that much detail in.

My question is, is this meant to be more of a idealized representation rather than a replica?

386267_319430531430780_276350425738791_1008739_142449860_n.jpg

Last edited:
I checked out the sneak preview on the FB page, but I'm still wondering why the casting Bob Burns has couldn't have been cast up or scanned. I've seen pics of him holding it. The thing is huge. My question is, is this meant to be more of a idealized representation rather than a replica?

That's a great question, and you're right, there doesn't seem to be as much detail in the original sculpt, does there?

View attachment 81653

View attachment 81654

I appreciate the extra bit of detail that's been added to this sculpt. I think it looks great! Since the replica wasn't cast from the original, I don't really see why it matters.

This way, we get what the theater of the mind expects with a prop like this.

Let's face it, the average buyer isn't going to be pulling up screen caps complaining it looks a little better than the original.

I'll bet it's going to look amazing painted up. I say, well done. :thumbsup

-Rylo

In most cases I would agree with you, Rylo. But I didn't even have to pull up screen grabs to know the fingers were a bit thin, and anatomoically speaking, the radius and ulna bones should at least be touching. These are on opposite ends of the wrists.

Don't get me wrong, I "appreciate" the detail, too. As I said, it's a great sculpt, and I'm sure it will make a lot of Creature collectors happy.

But I was really hoping for a casting of that sucker Bob Burns is holding. Inferior or not, that's what the fossil looked like. And purposefully deviating is not replicating.

I can answer all of these questions!

As for Bob Burns "Original" - Bob does not own an original casting - The casting he most commonly is seen holding was made for him by a friend of his for one of his Halloween Extravaganzas years ago! it's a great piece, but it's not a casting of the original... (Bob and I emailed many times while I was sculpting this and he himself told me this!)

As for the ORIGINAL original, or screen used - It was destroyed after the production was completed.

And yes, we decided to add some detail to the piece to make it more visually interesting. The original looks great in the films but was really rather lacking in detail (Like a lot of props you see in real life)

And I can ASSURE you that being a lifelong fan of the film, this was a DREAM project for me and EVERY decision that I helped to make I made sure would be something I thought the fans would love! :)

Oh - for the thickness of the bones and finger placement I used all the available reference I had to make sure they were as close to the same size as they could be.... I scaled all the bones / placed the fingers FIRST, then went in for detailing so the hand positioning / size SHOULD be pretty close - There isnt a lot of reference out there so it was hard to get it just right - In context when you see the finished piece in hand it gives a better representation of the size of the bones - This isnt "human hand" scale

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back