Hannibal Lecter restraint mask strapping research

Howlrunner

Sr Member
I recently got this mask from eBay and I now want to make it as accurate as possible:

DSC07048.JPG

I've taken the two side mouth bars out and repositioned them at the correct angle and have done quite a bit of filing (mainly the holes), but now I want to sort out the straps (because they look pretty cheap).

So the big question is, does anyone know what the straps should look like?

Now I'm aware that there are basically two versions of this mask - SOTL and Hannibal/Red Dragon.

Best I can make out, the Hannibal/Red Dragon mask is dark brown with a hint of green, has the nostril connector AND nostril holes cut out and has brown leather straps with buckles:

all-comp-x-600.jpg

So it's buckles should look something like this:

lecter.jpg

However, I get a bit stuck with the SOTL mask. It should be a creamy off yellow colour with just the nostril connector cut out. According to fiberglassmasks.com, they say the straps should look like this:

lectera.jpg

ebayi20032.jpg

If that is correct, then the mask I have is pretty much spot on as it is. However, kropserkel.com show a very different strap set up with black nylon straps:

muzzle.jpg

Does anyone know which version is correct? Or are they both correct and there's another varient I'm not aware of?

Any good images of the SOTL mask strap assembly would be appreciated, or anyone with definate knowledge. :)

Last edited:
Re: Hannibal Lecter mask strapping system research - Any good pics?

Emailed fiberglassmasks.com and asked about the SOTL strapping system they show. Apparently it's just their best guess and not actually based on any hard evidence. So that's crossed off the list. That still means I have no idea what the strapping system should be like - is kropserkel accurate or is theirs just a guess too?

No-one have any fantastic behind the scenes photos? :)

Just as an FYI, the images below are from a comparison I did on my blog (LINK) - the images on the left are from an eBay auction that I could not match up to the screen masks, so I wouldn't reference the mask represented on the left as authentic. There are several masks circulating in the marketplace that are marketed as "Original" that are inconclusive or inauthentic.

I've never seen a mask in a private collection that looks right, so the films are your best reference.

The masks in SOTL are very different from Hannibal as well.

Jason

On the original "Silence" muzzle, it was unpainted, raw fiberglass, mostly smooth on the surface, but you could see the glass cloth texture underneath in the more translucent areas. The color is just the resin/ catalyst mix- it can be acheived by varying the amount of catalyst, but it'll probably take a few tries to nail it.

Also, on at least one of the "Silence" muzzles, only the slot under the nose was cut out, and the nostrils were drawn in w/ a magic marker. Not sure if that was a screw up with the original prop, or if it was supposed to be something one of the orderlies was supposed to have drawn on for a joke. :)

-Sarge

Very interesting. Thanks guys. :) I'll have to take a close look at the SOTL mask screencaps against the H/RD mask screencaps - very interested to see these differences that you mention jdebord.

Howlrunner:

This may sound like a goofy suggestion, but in the absence of any better ideas, I'm wondering whether you have had a look at the Neca figure. I have no idea how Neca researches its movie-themes products in general or how they designed the mask for their Lecter figure in particular; is there any chance they had access to the studio's production photos or better? I don't know, but I can tell you that the figure is handsomely detailed for such a small scale. From the bottom of its shoes to the top of its head, the figure stands 17.5 centimeters tall.

Here, for what they're worth, are some quick and dirty shots of mine:

7825617.jpeg

8724463.jpeg

8754773.jpeg

8783305.jpeg

Again, I don't mean to suggest that Neca's toy is "screen-accurate" (I don't remember seeing that unpainted spot at the back of Lecter's head in the movie), but at least it might give you some more data to crunch. For one thing, Neca's version has three straps, while Kropserkel's has two.

Thanks, Pilot! :thumbsup

Yeah, I have that NECA figure myself and the presence of THREE straps really confused me! :lol Unless NECA has sources we don't know about, I'd guess that they based it on the Hannibal/Red Dragon mask (the fact that it's brown rather than creamy yellow/white would suggest that) and perhaps got it wrong.

The SOTL Ultimate Edition DVD will arrive in the post soon, so hopefully I'll be able to find some info in the extras.

I bought a Kropserkel version and had it finished by a talented painter who is an RPF member. Here's how it ended up, and I am very proud of it.

Lecter.jpg

I had the painter reproduce the look of fiberglass with some of the gelcoat worn away. I think the straps look right based on these photos.

SOTLmask2.jpg

SOTLmask1.jpg

That's a great shot showing the magic marker nostrils too!

I must be getting senile though- I'd have sworn the straps on the "Silence" muzzle were a really dirty white canvas, but it looks like I must be transposing from the straight jacket. :wacko

-Sarge

...finished by a talented painter who is an RPF member...

Thank you kind sir! ;)

I enjoyed painting this for Eltee... Though I cannot offer too much insight on the strap issue, I can offer a couple small tidbits of info.

The color was custom mixed. At first I thought it'd be easy since there was a Liquitex brand color that was pretty close. But crafting the mix took a bit more time. It is gratifying seeing Gary's pics of the his replica juxtaposed with the screen grabs. Got pretty close with the color!

In doing this, I clearly recall there not being much at all in the way of reference pics. As mentioned previously in this thread, I don't believe the original has ever surfaced publicly, and hence we're left with screen images, mainly.

For what it's worth, the SOTL version is the best in my opinion. Personaly, I'd ignore the other versions from the other films. But again, that is my opinion. To each their own.

Here's another look at the paint up I did.

SOTL001.jpg

Very interesting. Thanks guys. :) I'll have to take a close look at the SOTL mask screencaps against the H/RD mask screencaps - very interested to see these differences that you mention jdebord.

I attached a comparison photo from the two films.

attachment.php

The SOTL one appears to be smooth and thin (note you can see the metal pin inserts through the mask), while the Hannibal one is thicker and textured, with some of the texture covered in slopped on paint in some areas.

Also, the SOTL one "appears" to cast in the color, while the Hannibal one is obviously painted (you can see white in the drilled holes).

The straps are different - the SOTL of the black "backpack" style with plastic fasteners while the Hannibal one has leather straps with metal buckles.

The colors between the two are obviously different as well.

The Red Dragon mask is also different as well.

I haven't seen the newer film that Hopkins isn't in.

Jason

Cool, some very nice photos. :)

I wrote to Kropserkel and got a very nice, very detailed reply.

It starts: "A substantial amount of research went into producing this replica, and with the individuals that we spoke with, and the reference materials that were utilized, the materials, measurements, positioning, etc. are consistent with the SOTL muzzle used in the most prominent scene in the film."

Reading the reply and the amount of detail that was supplied, I'm inclined to believe that this is the best replica available and that the black nylon webbing with clip strapping system shown on the Kropserkel mask is accurate to the movie.

That's a great shot showing the magic marker nostrils too!

Regarding the SOTL nostrils, according to Kropserkel:

"At the time, it appeared that they had considered boring out the nostrils, as they were bored in from the inside, leaving only a thin translucent cover. You can see that Hopkins would have had his nose pressed up against it, turning it upwards and showing the dark nostril holes through the fiberglass. The SOTL version of the mask had only the rectangular notch cut out in the nose

This nicely explains what you can see in the close-up photos posted here.

So..... Given the available evidence, I'm going with converting what I've got to the Hannibal style mask (as the mask I think the Hannibal mask is flatter, thicker and more angular than the SOTL mask). I still want a good SOTL mask too though....

The Red Dragon mask is also different as well.

I haven't seen the newer film that Hopkins isn't in.

I would be interesting to find out the difference between the Hannibal and the Red Dragon mask - they look VERY similar to me. The Hannibal Rising mask is completely different and IMO not worth bothering about:

fc91_1.JPG

You can see more pictures of the (apparently) screen-used HR mask here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANNIBAL-RISING...5296475QQihZ006QQcategoryZ60360QQcmdZViewItem

PHArchivist, on the mask that you painted, how did you achieve the criss-cross patternation? Is it just a paint affect or it it raised/lowered? It's very nice. :)

Since you are going to convert your "muzzle" into a Hannibal style mask, here are some photos of the straps used for Hannibal. My guess is that, like the SOTL version, this mask is fiberglass with a different color gelcoat. You can see that the gelcoat is worn, exposing some of the fiberglass weave beneath.
Please show us your mask when you are done!!

HannibalMask4.jpg

HannibalMask3.jpg

HannibalMask2.jpg

HannibalMask1.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for those pics, they're great! :) I've actually just noticed that the muzzle I have has an extra hole above where each of the bottom straps attaches - so that'll have to get filled!

After sitting down and watching the reveal scene in SOTL last night frame by frame, I've come to the conclusion that the mask did infact have THREE straps on it - two that go behind the head and one that goes over the top of the head, just as on the NECA figure posted in this thread. :cool

I emailed Kropserkel about this and he agrees - it should be THREE straps. He said:

"There are indeed three sets of straps on the SOTL muzzle, neck, back of head, and over head. The latter was apparently an afterthought, and are very awkwardly placed in relation to the back head strap mount. Many people would perceive this in a production model as an error, and only in rare cases do we put these on ours (i.e. for people like yourselves who are wanting accuracy over utility)."

I'm really glad to finally get this figured out. :) And all in all, fantastic responses to email. A really great guy. :cool

The Kropserkel folks are the nicest you'll ever meet. So, should those of us who have the KS mask consider a modification and add the 3rd strap? It seems as if the two existing straps go behind the head/neck, and the missing 3rd strap goes over the crown to keep the mask from slipping down.

PHArchivist did a great job on my mask and painting an Aliens facehugger. The facehugger was to scary that I couldn't display it until my daughter got a little older. Simulating the look of fiberglass weave under worn gelcoat was very effective on the mask.

Last edited:

So, should those of us who have the KS mask consider a modification and add the 3rd strap?

I'd definately consider it if I owned this prop already in order to make it screen-accurate. :)

So, to recap, the differences between the SOTL mask and the Hannibal mask (thanks to Jason for this comparison pic):

attachment.jpg

SOTL:
  1. Raw tinted fibreglass colour (creamy yellow/brown/white)
  2. Three black nylon straps with black plastic clip connectors (1 neck strap, 1 back of head strap, 1 top of head strap)
  3. Slit for the nose, nostril holes bored into mask from behind, but do not go all the way through
  4. Thin fibreglass construction
  5. Mouth bar anchor points visible through mask's transparency
  6. Pitted surface texture in places
  7. Thirteen holes drilled around the chin
  8. Nostril and mouth section is rounded and organic
Hannibal:
  1. Painted dark brown/green in colour
  2. Two brown leather straps with silver roller buckles - long strap sections connected to left side of mask, short strap sections connected to right side of mask (1 neck strap, 1 back of head strap)
  3. Slit for the nose AND nostril holes cut out
  4. Thicker construction. Probably fibreglass
  5. Mouth bar anchor points hidden
  6. Cross-hatched surface texture in places
  7. Only eleven holes drilled around the chin
  8. Nostril and mouth section is flattened and more angular

Very nice summary, Howlrunner. And a big thank you to Kropserkel for the detailed background information and confirmation of the three straps on the screen-used piece.

I felt a bit silly posting those pictures of the little Neca figure in this thread, but am happy that they ended up being helpful in the end. :)

Now I am giving serious thought to asking Kropserkel to add a strap to my KS SOTL mask... and asking PHArchivist if he'd be willing to do another custom paint and finishing commission. Your mask looks terrific, eltee. :love

A little more in the way of reference photos of the SOTL mask....

Billy Crystal wore the screen-used mask when presenting the Academy Awards in 1992 (SOTL won lots!). This is the best online photo I can find from that:

101126__crystal_l.jpg

This shows the top-of-head strap a little better.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back