Hand stitched Kermit the Frog puppet replica!! (Early builds/old patterns)

Re: Custom Kermit the Frog puppet replica!!

He looks awesome! I've always wanted my own Kermit. When I was younger I used to have a puppet of him but it looked nowhere near as good as this!

Hand stitched Kermit the Frog puppet replica!!

Some of the commercially licensed vintage Kermit products were pretty cool, including the small hand puppet! I’ve always thought the materials they used for the older stuff looked better than the new ones available (plushes, etc.). Unfortunately though, it’s true that there aren’t really options for highly accurate licensed muppet puppets.

Over the Christmas break, I ended making another frog puppet as a gift for a family member; this time in a pink color! The collar is also a little different, and I added eyelids.

2209300edbd2e57637d4fb5bdbc42c8d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Hand stitched Kermit the Frog puppet replica!!

Do you have an estimate/recommendation of how much fleece it took you per Kermit. Dewey Street has quantity of

31" x 54" = 1
62" x 54" = 2
108" x 54" = 3

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you have an estimate/recommendation of how much fleece it took you per Kermit. Dewey Street has quantity of

31" x 54" = 1
62" x 54" = 2
108" x 54" = 3

The 31” x 54” piece is enough to build a Kermit (That’s what I used), however, it would be tight if something went wrong and additional patterns needed to be cut. Kermit actually doesn’t really use up a lot of fabric because he’s generally so thin; the largest piece of fabric needed would be the part that wraps around his torso/body, and also the “arm sleeve” if you plan on adding one to the puppet.

Also, it’s a good idea to trace all the patterns ahead of time on the sheet, so that as much of the fabric is used as possible—kind of like a puzzle. Since the body/torso part does’t really have a pattern (larger sheet that is tailored around the foam body shape—everyone’s body shape will be slightly different, hence the lack of pattern), you’ll want to leave as much material as you can for that part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for that. I was laying out the pattern trying to estimate and because of the chest estimation I was in debate for just that reason. I will gamble 1 then and buy 2nd round if needed.

Appreciate you sharing your process. I stalk this site for build ideas, but litterally never dawned on me you could of course build a Kermit. I think the child side of my brain has him in a creature box not a prop. Even though I have seen the puppets and the merchandise.

This really got me excited to attempt.

Thank you for that. I was laying out the pattern trying to estimate and because of the chest estimation I was in debate for just that reason. I will gamble 1 then and buy 2nd round if needed.

Appreciate you sharing your process. I stalk this site for build ideas, but litterally never dawned on me you could of course build a Kermit. I think the child side of my brain has him in a creature box not a prop. Even though I have seen the puppets and the merchandise.

This really got me excited to attempt.

You’re welcome! I had the same thoughts as well. I had the Master Replicas photo puppet for quite a few years, but the thought of actually making a Kermit puppet just never occured to me; probably because it also seemed like a really daunting thing to do, having very little experience working with fabric. But once you get the hang of it, it’s a very rewarding experience. Henson was truly one of a kind, and his designs and ideas are really something else.

Ecl, thanks for all of this information you gave! Always wanted a Kermit, built him from start to finish today. Still waiting for some materials to make him more accurate, like the tounge and necklace, but this is what I had to work with! I did buy the appropriate fleece though!
e0af106e2c69afeef61a53fcc81269f2.jpg
5db1bbbbe499d0b556fbdf99bce7b835.jpg
8b4aa94e8a28f29adb58454f85a62ac0.jpg
d6b074a2095c36e311f800accf30a76b.jpg
66936657f06570d3de45a113cd22303c.jpg
115607267a979e929c6f4a0515d2be33.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That’s awesome Ed! I’m glad to hear I was able to help out. I’m actually in the process of making a few refinements to my patterns and techniques, after having studied an original Kermit in an exhibition here the past few months—currently working on my 4th Kermit build. I will start another thread for that as I make more progress on it, and I’ll share some new tips and experiences I’ve discovered along the way.

makes me smile and remember my camp counselor days.

kids called me counselor kermit because i always clapped and cheered like kermit. great replica of one of the most known characters ever.

ow, and just being around counselors doing kermit style gunny sarg Hartman impressions was even more fun

Last edited:

Hi ecl,

So thanks to your guidance, I've been making progress on my Kermit - slow progress, but progress nonetheless! I've done two full stitched heads, and I'm concerned that I don't have enough neck fabric on either one based off the main pattern. did you find anything similar? I think I may just do a third head form and cut the neck long so I can tweak it. Also, did you find you cut off a LOT of material around the mouthplate? As I'm test-fitting using the tape method you suggested, I'm finding I'm curling in a large amount of fabric into the mouth to give the overall head the right amount of tension.

A few rapid fire questions for you:
- For the mouth plate, did you separate it and reconnect with tape or just fold? I found the fold was too tough, so I just scored most of the way through it. Just curious what you did there.
- How did you cut the pupils out so cleanly? (also the tongue/throat cutouts)
- Any tips on getting the fold at the corners of the mouth to look right? Just play with it?
- Any guidance on eye placement? Just eyeball it? :). sorry...that joke wrote itself.

Thanks, and Happy New Year

PS - here's a photo of my progress so far...quick temporary eyes just taped on for now...This is head #2, I think I'm going to have to do at least a #3 and maybe 4 before I lock it in - but I like where I'm at so far! Any comments welcome.

View attachment 783159

I was just wondering what pattern you used for the head padding? I think I got everything else right

If you're talking about mine - I didn't use any padding in the head. Just my hand. I think ecl stuffed the head only for photos?

Yes, no padding for the head when used as a puppet. The foam insert is only in use when I have him sitting on display (otherwise he’d look deflated :D). It really is amazing; the original puppet Kermit that we’re all familiar with, is pretty much all hand. I think that’s one of the challenges in making a puppet Kermit, because the same puppet can look different depending on who is using it. This is also a good reason why I encourage people to experiment with the pattern and tailor it to their own hand (much like the various Kermits over the years must have been tailored to the performers)

My son asked for a Kermit The Frog puppet. I’m currently working on it. My question is did you use doll joints to attach the arms and legs? Did you hand sew the feet to the legs? I would appreciate any help.

My son asked for a Kermit The Frog puppet. I’m currently working on it. My question is did you use doll joints to attach the arms and legs? Did you hand sew the feet to the legs? I would appreciate any help.

On the original puppets, it appeared that the limbs were just attached without any joints; one thing of note was that it appears—like around the shoulders—that there isn’t any stuffing or anything filling those spaces. You can often see the fabric looking more flat there (allows for a very bendable ‘joint’). So basically, I just sewed the limbs directly to the body. Just simply use pins to attach the limbs to the body first and then sew on. As for the feet, yes I sewed the legs to the feet first, and then attached them to his body. This is a bit more tricky, as due to the odd angle, it’s not easy to
pin the ‘ankle’ area to the top of the feet. What I basically did was stuff the legs first so that they maintained shape, and then that helped to line up the bottom part of the leg better with the top of the foot, and I slowly sewed it on that way. Kind of hard to describe, but I know it may feel awkward sewing them on that way, but it works after some practice! I could draw up a few tutorial drawings; it’s a good question, as getting the shoulders and “joints” to bend right may not be that easy to visualize.

Here’s a pic of one of my later Kermit builds! This thread details my early builds:

TxXilii.jpg

Thank you for the information. I’m comfortable sewing. I’m usually making Halloween costumes or crafting with bottles. This will be my first puppet. My son was willing to wait 4 months for me to do it. His birthday gift.

Thank you for the information. I’m comfortable sewing. I’m usually making Halloween costumes or crafting with bottles. This will be my first puppet. My son was willing to wait 4 months for me to do it. His birthday gift.

Awesome! That’s so cool, and he’s going to love it! Definitely share pics of how it turns out :) If you have any other questions along the way, feel free to ask!

Worth every hour!973C8566-ED14-4371-B1FC-9C00A98B3BD4.jpeg8F947077-DDE4-467B-BFF7-0521B7EF07E0.jpeg

Attachments

• 23CBB7CE-283B-46E3-A931-05EEA68A2A8E.jpeg
    23CBB7CE-283B-46E3-A931-05EEA68A2A8E.jpeg
    763 KB · Views: 741
  • 4375310C-F6E7-40B0-9E7E-DEE02F74E534.jpeg
    4375310C-F6E7-40B0-9E7E-DEE02F74E534.jpeg
    665.8 KB · Views: 648
  • 0D82E3F4-D8E2-410D-93FD-122A47CFB5D9.jpeg
    0D82E3F4-D8E2-410D-93FD-122A47CFB5D9.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 729
  • 0FC0B64F-3995-4D38-BB70-0BDFC38875D4.jpeg
    0FC0B64F-3995-4D38-BB70-0BDFC38875D4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 732
  • 2EE5E135-983E-42F7-B7F8-F45F050FD55A.jpeg
    2EE5E135-983E-42F7-B7F8-F45F050FD55A.jpeg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 673
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back