Han Solo in Carbonite

enaswede

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I am late to the HIC game and I am currently in the process of building a HIC for display and after re-watching ESB and ROTJ scenes I noticed that in ESB the HERO panel is on both sides of the HIC but I have never seen that on anyone's replica like from Sideshow or others. I have seen the hero panel on the right side only. Just curious if anyone out there can educate me as to why the hero panel on the left side that is visible in ESB seems to be an unpopular choice to duplicate? (see photos below)
Thanks! :)

Bapture2.JPG

Bapture11.JPG

Bapture12.JPG

The Hero panel was moved to the left side (Han's right side) of the prop for this particular scene in the film.

Like a lot of props used in the films, they either ran out of time or money, so it was easier to place either metal tape or sheets of metal (i.e. the R5-D4 dome) in places where lights were meant to be placed, thus light could be simply reflected. This is true of the remaining panels on the HIC prop.

Thank you for the response... but wouldn't it still be more "Screen Accurate" to have it on both sides?

Last edited:
Just so I understand... the accuracy of a prop is determined how that prop is altered after the movie... not how it is seen in the movie? :confused:

Many movies and TV shows have several versions of the same prop and they usually don't match.
Luke's RotJ saber is a prime example.
Also the film gets reversed for some reason so you are seeing the same side.

In this case they moved the "hero" panel to the other side to make the scene more interesting visually.
The panel was moved back and altered with more lights and greeblies for RotJ.
All 8 panels have been mapped out.

I was interested in this as well. Thanks for posting this!

i know Bigturc sells awesome machined greeblies, Portumac offers stuff, Zenix offers box kit, panels, mesh & clips, but who offers the lighting and numbered panels?

Just so I understand... the accuracy of a prop is determined how that prop is altered after the movie... not how it is seen in the movie? :confused:
That all depends on the individual. Some consider props or costumes to be screen accurate by how closely it matches the actual screen used item, warts and all. Others base it on what we see on screen in the movie or show and not what was actually seen on set.

Two good examples of what screen vs. set accuracy are Kirk's tunic from TOS Trek and the color of the pulse rifles from Aliens. In both cases what we saw on screen was different from what was actually seen on set and fans have done it both ways and have considered both to be screen accurate. In the case of Kirk's tunic, we see it as a sort of mustard yellow on screen but when seen in person it was more of a greenish color. Then with the Aliens pulse rifle, what appears to be a sort OD green was actually a brownish color in person.

So, even tho the carbonite had only one hero panel at a time, it was meant to have one on each side. In universe screen accurate would be one on each side, but as a movie prop it has only one on each side.
I think that I would prefer an in universe version with one on both sides, that’s how the prop makers wanted it to look.

Something interesting to note is that in ROTJ, Leia views the Hero panel on the right side (Han's left side) and then uses the controls to unfreeze him.
Also, the Hero panel appears to be showing Han's heartbeat. Should a heart display be on both sides of a carbonite block?

I just watched the first episode of the Mandalorian, and they're on the left side. In the end I guess it's just a matter of preference.

I got my light kit from "Fettronics".

I don't know it he's still around but it's worth a search.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back